Sponsored by:

Windshield washer broken...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default Windshield washer broken...

After playing 9 holes of golf during a huge dust and rain storm in Phoenix Thursday night, I started the car and attempted to use the windshield washer and nothing came out while the windshield wipers scraped across the windshield. I assumed the reservoir was empty so I refilled it Friday morning and when I tried to use it again, same thing. It makes a lot of noise but no fluid. So I get out of the car to check under the hood and I see a puddle of washer fluid under the left front wheel. Apparently it's squirting, but not on the windshield. My guess is the hose is disconnected somewhere in the bowels of the engine bay somewhere. I'm due for an oil change, yes Mobil1, so I plan on going to the dealer next week to have it checked out.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what was the fix? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:21 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is a recall/TSB for this very issue. Sounds like your's qualifies.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:25 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by owc6
There is a recall/TSB for this very issue. Sounds like your's qualifies.
Cool...thanks for the quick reply. I'll research it.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
Cool...thanks for the quick reply. I'll research it.
Some cars have cracked reservoirs GM has an open TSB on this.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Not sure it's cracked...

Originally Posted by Black&White
Some cars have cracked reservoirs GM has an open TSB on this.
Thanks. I don't think it's cracked because it only leaks when I try to use it. I've never found any fluids leaking in the engine bay or on the garage floor since I've owned the car.

Living in AZ I rarely use the washer function. This might be the 2nd time I've used it in 16 months.

I searched multiple places for the TSB and couldn't find anything. If anyone has a link to where it is please let me know so I can show it, along with the Mobil1 documentation :-) to the dealer next week.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:13 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks. I don't think it's cracked because it only leaks when I try to use it. I've never found any fluids leaking in the engine bay or on the garage floor since I've owned the car. Living in AZ I rarely use the washer function. This might be the 2nd time I've used it in 16 months. I searched multiple places for the TSB and couldn't find anything. If anyone has a link to where it is please let me know so I can show it, along with the Mobil1 documentation :-) to the dealer next week.
here is the recall info

Name:  image-1156971635.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  303.2 KB

Name:  image-3103779900.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  192.5 KB
Old 06-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Thanks very much.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Thanks. I don't think it's cracked because it only leaks when I try to use it. I've never found any fluids leaking in the engine bay or on the garage floor since I've owned the car.

Living in AZ I rarely use the washer function. This might be the 2nd time I've used it in 16 months.

I searched multiple places for the TSB and couldn't find anything. If anyone has a link to where it is please let me know so I can show it, along with the Mobil1 documentation :-) to the dealer next week.
You say it only leaks when you use it, but you have gone through 2 washer tankful's while using it only 2 times in 16 months. LOL. Your tank is clearly leaking.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Not totally correct...

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You say it only leaks when you use it, but you have gone through 2 washer tankful's while using it only 2 times in 16 months. LOL. Your tank is clearly leaking.
I said I used the washer twice in 16 months, not 2 tank fulls. My car sits most of the time in the 100 degree garage and I have never seen a drop of fluid on the floor. More than likely, the dry heat in AZ caused the fluid to evaporate. I have seen no evidence of it leaking whatsoever, except when I used it yesterday and it squirted fluid all over my driveway after I filled it up. It's obviously disconnected somewhere.

I'll let you know what the dealer discovers when I bring it in next Wednesday. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I said I used the washer twice in 16 months, not 2 tank fulls. My car sits most of the time in the 100 degree garage and I have never seen a drop of fluid on the floor. More than likely, the dry heat in AZ caused the fluid to evaporate. I have seen no evidence of it leaking whatsoever, except when I used it yesterday and it squirted fluid all over my driveway after I filled it up. It's obviously disconnected somewhere.

I'll let you know what the dealer discovers when I bring it in next Wednesday. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I didn't mean to imply that you "used" two tanks by using the washers twice, but rather that you have filled it twice and only used them twice. The fluid is going somewhere and it is not on your windshield. I live in the Dallas area, plenty hot here too and I don't have a problem with windshield washer fluid evaporating away. To me, it is pretty clear that your tank is leaking.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
here is the recall info
Minor point, but it's not a recall.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

"After playing 9 holes of golf during a huge dust and rain storm in Phoenix Thursday night"

So...what did you shoot in the huge dust and rainstorm in Pheonix?
Old 06-07-2015, 02:35 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default 42

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
"After playing 9 holes of golf during a huge dust and rain storm in Phoenix Thursday night"

So...what did you shoot in the huge dust and rainstorm in Pheonix?
Shot 42 after shooting 82 earlier in the day. I love retirement.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield washer broken...

Quick Reply: Windshield washer broken...