Sponsored by:

Corvette show tips, please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:12 PM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Corvette show tips, please.

G'day! Have an opportunity to display my Corvette in a small, local 'Corvettes on the Mall' show in my 'hood on June 19.

Having never done such a thing before, please provide me some hints, ideas, etc.

Thinking of getting an info board of some sort with basic info thereon: HP, displacement, tranny, etc. Is that lame?

Want to interest folks and am always happy to talk about cars.

Standing by for input; thank you, in advance.

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Are you putting it in the show to attempt to win something, or just for the fun of it? If the latter, just clean it up and put it in the show. You'll likely meet other car fanatics and get to answer questions about your C7.

If the former, I can't help as I've never done that with any of the long list of collector and other cars I've owned.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would do the info board, always look at them when I go to a show. Nice to see mods, if any listed, engine and hp are always great ways to start up a conversation. Although with the Corvette you really do't need anything to get people to ask about it. Detail it, the shinier the better, open the hood, trunk and doors for people to look and make them feel welcome. I am always put off by the don't touch signs that I see at shows. Very few, if any have $15,000-$20,000 paint job and finger prints and a coke spilled on it are really easy to clean.
But, that's just me. I bought my car to drive and I know that there will be pits in the windshield and scuffs on the wheels. All of that stuff is fixable...scaring people away, not so much. I really want folks to feel welcome when looking at my car. Do a photo shoot in a nice setting if you have time and put that on the board. It is amazing how photogenic this car is and how different it looks in different light.
Have fun, that's why you do car shows. And if you are accessible to everyone they will remember you as one of the good guys. And the KIDS will love you.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

A nice touch is to display your purchase brochure or even window sticker if you have it. Maybe even the build sheet.

I attend shows but don't go overboard with the display material. Rather I just hang around my car, greet everyone with a smile, answer any questions, and just talk cars and Corvettes in general.

If you're being judged, hang around your car when it's being judged because the judges usually want to know who owns the car.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a couple of dozen C7 Hot Wheels on eBay. When I see a kid looking with interest at my car I love to let him sit in the drivers seat and hand him/her a Hot Wheel when they leave. Lots of smiles! Have fun!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Wilross3
I bought a couple of dozen C7 Hot Wheels on eBay. When I see a kid looking with interest at my car I love to let him sit in the drivers seat and hand him/her a Hot Wheel when they leave. Lots of smiles! Have fun!
Excellent idea!

I let 'em sit in it and take pics; never thought about Hot Wheels.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:13 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
I would do the info board, always look at them when I go to a show. Nice to see mods, if any listed, engine and hp are always great ways to start up a conversation. Although with the Corvette you really do't need anything to get people to ask about it. Detail it, the shinier the better, open the hood, trunk and doors for people to look and make them feel welcome. I am always put off by the don't touch signs that I see at shows. Very few, if any have $15,000-$20,000 paint job and finger prints and a coke spilled on it are really easy to clean.
But, that's just me. I bought my car to drive and I know that there will be pits in the windshield and scuffs on the wheels. All of that stuff is fixable...scaring people away, not so much. I really want folks to feel welcome when looking at my car. Do a photo shoot in a nice setting if you have time and put that on the board. It is amazing how photogenic this car is and how different it looks in different light.
Have fun, that's why you do car shows. And if you are accessible to everyone they will remember you as one of the good guys. And the KIDS will love you.
Unfortunately "PLEASE DON'T TOUCH" signs are necessary in my opinion.
I have known since being told by my father at a very young age to keep my hands in my pockets when near the cars, and never to touch.

Many are not as considerate and put their nasty booger pickers all over the cars..............not cool.

If you are there and allow it that is a different story. I'm not talking about being nice to kids here.

Last edited by sanantguy; 06-08-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Love it when kids want to sit in my car! It's a car. They take photos, wave and smile. This is not a Lamborghini. It's a GM car. Had many. They really don't break too easily. Being a fireman I know the joy kids get when sitting in the cab, ringing the bell. Same fun sitting in the Vette!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

LOCK THE DOORS

Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,767 Likes on 4,190 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ Actually, I do exactly the opposite.

With so much Carbon Fiber to show off, I open the hatch and engine hood, roll down the windows and open both doors so people can enjoy the improvements made.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Great info!

Thanks, folks. Great ideas here.

NOT looking to win anything...suspect there are no prizes, anyway.

Will happily let kids sit in it.

It's a '15 convertible. Top will be down but thought I might cycle it a few times; still fascinates me. Have the laminated build sheet and window sticker. Thought the sticker might be a bit too pretentious. Willing to wager mine will be the sole C7 there...but I hope it is not.
Thanks, again; please keep the replies coming.

Cheers!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I will always let them sit in the seats while the parents or grandparents take pictures---99% are respectful of your car. I would recommend staying within sight of the car-----believe it or not, I have had parents (1) lift kids up and sat them on my hood and roof, and (2) kids trying to climb onto the hood while the parents watched. One time I was just about 20 feet away and was able to address things, and the other two times while I was getting something to eat my friends with their cars right in the area stepped in and stopped it------the parents were not at all understanding???
Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hell, forget the kids. the hands off sign is for the disrespectful adults
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Good luck with the "Please Do Not Touch" signs. Unless you are standing beside the car, most people seem not to be able to read.

Car shows are for fun, not chasing trophies. (IMO) Enjoy the people. Allow people to take pics by your car. Smile a lot and have a good time.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

[QUOTE=rkhegler;1589799323]Good luck with the "Please Do Not Touch" signs. Unless you are standing beside the car, most people seem not to be able to read.

Unfortunate, but true. People won't take the time to read. We have signs all over the shop where I work and no one seems to be able to figured them out! I can guess that it is worse at a car show, with all the cool things there. But, for those who do read, the signs are an insult, as they already know better.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,455 Likes on 14,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you are going just for fun, clean the car up as well as you can (inside and out) and then when you get to the show, just open it up and relax. It's a great way to meet new people and have a blast talking cars.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,767 Likes on 4,190 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ This......

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette show tips, please.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Entering a stock C7 into a car show boils down to nothing more than a cleaning contest. To me the best part of a show is talking Corvettes whether it be your car or someone else's vette. Bring a folding chair and just relax and enjoy the day.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Echo everything that has been seen so far but also REMOVE YOUR FRONT TAG if you are unfortunate enough to live in a state that requires one (as I do). There is no such thing as a front tag mount that looks good (or even OK) on a vette.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 PM
USMarine Vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
Echo everything that has been seen so far but also REMOVE YOUR FRONT TAG if you are unfortunate enough to live in a state that requires one (as I do). There is no such thing as a front tag mount that looks good (or even OK) on a vette.
Well you could always opt for the retractable front tag.

Quick Reply: Corvette show tips, please.