C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 2016 C7 have a resistive or capacitive touchscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
Respectfully disagree. The C7 was designed to appeal to a younger audience.
Younger that what? Younger that the C6? Sure. Younger than a Spark? Not a chance. The average age of owners on here is, I think, well above 40. Maybe above 50. The average age of a Spark buyer is probably about 20 to 25.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
But then I live in Ohio and there are a lot of hours each year when I am driving my car with gloves on. In warmer climates I guess it would be OK, but cars have mostly used resistive touch screens for a very good reason.

A health issue force me to wear gloves all winter. Capacitive screens are a nuisance for me.

And IMO there is a lot more fun technology in a C7 than the touch screen anyway - the interface I care most about is resistive and is called an accelerator pedal.
in spades.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Younger that what? Younger that the C6? Sure. Younger than a Spark? Not a chance. The average age of owners on here is, I think, well above 40. Maybe above 50. The average age of a Spark buyer is probably about 20 to 25.
Correct, younger than previous Corvettes.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:05 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Chryslers system is resistive and I bet I could type 50wpm on that screen.
It is as response as any phone or tablet.

GM's hardware feels a few generations behind.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Karanx7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, it looks like the screens are the same from last year. Just a better processor, same touch screen.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:04 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Unfortunately, it looks like the screens are the same from last year. Just a better processor, same touch screen.
If this ends up being the case its a good thing for us current owners. It means we should be able to swap out the HMI with a 16' spec module should there be a compelling reason to do so..
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
If this ends up being the case its a good thing for us current owners. It means we should be able to swap out the HMI with a 16' spec module should there be a compelling reason to do so..
Sorry for being dumb, but what does HMI stand for?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Human Machine Interface. Often used in the context of industrial automation and process control via PLC's. (Process Logic Controllers.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 AM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

In the Corvette, the HMI is the computer module used to control the Infotainment display.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Rockmaninoff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Capacitive screens may be better on your phone or tablet, but Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are optimized for both resistive and capacitive screens.

These new platforms have much larger touch targets, and buttons for scrolling to minimize swiping. Yes, the response time and "feel" is worse than a capacitive screen, but there's definitely an argument to be made for using your screen with gloves, etc. It also cuts down on accidental presses and seems to be a much better application for vehicles when you want to be damn sure you're pressing a button, even on a touchscreen.

Take a look at some of these photos of Android Auto to see what I mean. I would honestly prefer a resistive screen given the design of the platform...

Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Sorry for being dumb, but what does HMI stand for?
Look down on the side panel near the drivers left foot well. Gotta really stick your head in there. You can see the HMI module. Can be swapped out. In my case I wanted factory navigation so I swapped mine out and installed an antenna. Below is what the original non-nav IO5 looks like. The nav IO6 version looks the same but has an additional antenna jack. This is the part that possibly allows us to swap in a 16 spec for the Apple and Google stuff. Note that you would also have a non working PDR icon on the screen and I'm not sure how the front camera stuff is gonna behave when there's no hardware to support it. Hopefully front camera stuff simply does nothing.

My old IO5 HMI module:

Old 06-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Talked to an engineer at Bloomington Gold the scrèen is the same style. No change for 2016.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:31 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
Human Machine Interface. Often used in the context of industrial automation and process control via PLC's. (Process Logic Controllers.
Originally Posted by scottsh
In the Corvette, the HMI is the computer module used to control the Infotainment display.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
Capacitive screens may be better on your phone or tablet, but Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are optimized for both resistive and capacitive screens.

These new platforms have much larger touch targets, and buttons for scrolling to minimize swiping. Yes, the response time and "feel" is worse than a capacitive screen, but there's definitely an argument to be made for using your screen with gloves, etc. It also cuts down on accidental presses and seems to be a much better application for vehicles when you want to be damn sure you're pressing a button, even on a touchscreen.

Take a look at some of these photos of Android Auto to see what I mean. I would honestly prefer a resistive screen given the design of the platform...

I don't really see the issue with gloves, but then again, I spent $50.00 on a pair of gloves that work great with capacitive screens and keep my hands warm for the two months out of the year it gets cold enough to use them.

Then again, I don't wear gloves that make it a nightmare to dig a pair of keys out of my pocket either.

U|R Men's Touchscreen Compatible Leather Back Glove with Stretch Palm, Brown, Large/X-Large at Amazon Men’s Clothing store: Cold Weather Gloves U|R Men's Touchscreen Compatible Leather Back Glove with Stretch Palm, Brown, Large/X-Large at Amazon Men’s Clothing store: Cold Weather Gloves
Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

People are starting to take delivery of 2016s. The mystery of the capacitive vs resistive screen will shortly be put to rest.

Here's what C7 x 2 had to say about the screen in his 2016 Z06, "I just went out & touched it with different items. It responded with very light pressure and to everything I touched it with. Secondly it reacts much quicker than my '14 C7. The same with the nav. it calculates much quicker."

To which I replied, "Sorry to beat a dead horse, but.... would you say it would respond if you touched the screen but applied no pressure?"

C7 x 2 replied, "Yes, responds to just touching it."

I'm not convinced it's capacitive yet, but it sure sounds that way. Can anyone else offer first hand input on this topic?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Karanx7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
People are starting to take delivery of 2016s. The mystery of the capacitive vs resistive screen will shortly be put to rest.

Here's what C7 x 2 had to say about the screen in his 2016 Z06, "I just went out & touched it with different items. It responded with very light pressure and to everything I touched it with. Secondly it reacts much quicker than my '14 C7. The same with the nav. it calculates much quicker."

To which I replied, "Sorry to beat a dead horse, but.... would you say it would respond if you touched the screen but applied no pressure?"

C7 x 2 replied, "Yes, responds to just touching it."

I'm not convinced it's capacitive yet, but it sure sounds that way. Can anyone else offer first hand input on this topic?
It is already confirmed to be resistive again. The 2016 cars do have a faster computer though.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karanx7
It is already confirmed to be resistive again. The 2016 cars do have a faster computer though.
C7 x 2's latest comment has convinced me that you are correct, it is resistive;

"I did that with a piece of paper & the cap off my pen (plastic) and a couple of other things, even a penny. It still worker the same as my finger."

Last edited by docprego; 07-16-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Does the 2016 C7 have a resistive or capacitive touchscreen?