C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Excellent info here!

Personally I am finding less use of my song collections and more use for Pandora.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Stentplacer
Ok...if you show in my Cath Lab with a massive heart attack... I'll be sure to make sure that check is good! Only kidding of course:-)
Touché, "Stentplacer"! --- While I hope to never experience a massive heart attack (Low BP, No Cholesterol or any other meds... so far) or grace the entrance to your Cath Lab with my presence... If I do someday find myself there, I'll be sure to have a maxed-out 128GB SD card in my left-hand pocket, loaded with every single one of my pristine and perfectly programmed MP3 music files... All 14,022 of them... which will provide you with just about 40 Days of non-stop listening pleasure!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 AM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

^^^ Glad to hear all is well! I'm so jealous. I wish I could get something like that to have in the Vette. I guess I'm stuck with XM and Pandora Pro.
Best Regards!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-22-2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: No need to requote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defaria
Can you tell me how I can get the system to categorize files as Podcasts or Audiobooks. Those selections exist there but are always empty. Somebody said it comes from MP3 tag information but they didn't way exactly which tag information needs to be there and what it needs to say.
That is agreat question. I have been asking it on the forum for over a year. I also asked GM Customer Support and they opened a case to study it.

I have changed a number of tags in the mp3 file using an editor, but had no luck even with almost every field saying "audiobook" or "podcast"

The final response after over 50 emails back and forth with various support people...(and I quote), "It's working as designed". So apparently it's not designed to recognize Audiobooks or Podcasts even though there are menu choices in the software by "design".

They did thank me for bring the issue to their attention and said it would be noted for future versions of the software. They also hinted that even if fixed, the fix would be for future years and would not fix it for my 2014.

I would be interested in hearing whether it has been resolved in '15 or '16 models.

... and if you're listening to an audiobook, don't hit the button that looks like a radio on/off button. It will mute the book you're listening to, but keep on playing it silently. So, when you hit it again, you may have missed a chapter or two.

It's OK... just "working as designed"

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-22-2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Just a quick note to mention that I updated my original post to reflect that center console SD slot has been removed and is no longer available in 2016 models, as well as confirming that the info provided remains accurate, updated, and should also apply to 2016 owners now forced to utilize the USB ports in the console and/or behind the Infotainment display.

Good Luck!

Last edited by NostraD; 02-22-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

One additional myth which keeps coming up is the PDR is limited to 32GB. This is not the case, the limitation is Windows will not format a card larger than 32GB in FAT32 natively. To format a larger card in FAT 32 requires a third party utility.

Originally Posted by NostraD
Just a quick note to mention that I updated my original post to reflect that center console SD slot has been removed and is no longer available in 2016 models, as well as confirming that the info provided remains accurate, updated, and should also apply to 2016 owners now forced to utilize the USB ports in the console and/or behind the Infotainment display.

Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:19 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
One additional myth which keeps coming up is the PDR is limited to 32GB. This is not the case, the limitation is Windows will not format a card larger than 32GB in FAT32 natively. To format a larger card in FAT 32 requires a third party utility.
Agreed & Correct! I currently run a 64GB SD card for my PDR. --- The same formatting issue holds true for the console SD slot, which is why the 32GB limit myth comes up there, as well. When time allows, I'll update my OP with that info and links to some online tools for SD formatting in FAT32. Thanks.

Last edited by NostraD; 02-22-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:29 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Very disappointed that 2016 has no SD card slot. Since it also has no CD player, how do you play music (other than radio)? Do you have to have a USB stick plugged into it all the time? Or does it have any other storage capability?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:36 PM
SCB
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xwing
Very disappointed that 2016 has no SD card slot. Since it also has no CD player, how do you play music (other than radio)? Do you have to have a USB stick plugged into it all the time? Or does it have any other storage capability?
Yes- there's a USB behind the screen and two more in the console, plus you can stream from your phone or any Bluetooth device. If they never had the SD card option, I don't think anybody would miss it.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

A cheap and easy USB thumb drive does MP3's out the yin-yang. It has to be in to play, but they are very small in physical size. These days I mostly do Pandora on my cellphone via Bluetooth to the cars radio. It is now all automatic and comes on without any input from me.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

There is no real need for the SD card for audio, the USB ports work just fine. I recommend a low profile USB drive.

It's my belief GM eliminated the SD for music because people were confusing the music slot for the PDR slot and vice versa. There are several threads on the forum related to this confusion.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NostraD
Agreed & Correct! I currently run a 64GB SD card for my PDR. --- The same formatting issue holds true for the console SD slot, which is why the 32GB limit myth comes up there, as well. When time allows, I'll update my OP with that info and links to some online tools for SD formatting in FAT32. Thanks.
I have a 256Gb card, 6400+ minutes of recording available!
Old 02-22-2016, 06:54 PM
firemon
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Well done and thank you
The following users liked this post:
NostraD (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
A cheap and easy USB thumb drive does MP3's out the yin-yang. It has to be in to play, but they are very small in physical size. These days I mostly do Pandora on my cellphone via Bluetooth to the cars radio. It is now all automatic and comes on without any input from me.
Why would you want to use Pandora and be subjected to the constant commercials?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 PM
SCB
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Why would you want to use Pandora and be subjected to the constant commercials?
You can get the commercial-free version of Pandora for $4.99/mo.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SCB
And the fidelity can be awesome if set up correctly.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 AM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cur
I have a 256Gb card, 6400+ minutes of recording available!
WOW! That is a huge SD card.
Which program did you use to format it? Which brand SD card are you using?
Does it take a while to index it every time you turn on the car?

My 32Gb SD card is pretty slow to load (~20-30 seconds), but much, much faster than my 80Gb iPod classic (a few minutes).

Last edited by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego; 02-23-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found

Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SCB
I can't understand why anyone would pay a monthly fee for music. Not to mention the annoyance of having your cell phone suck down battery power and having to set it up every time you drive.

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
There is no real need for the SD card for audio, the USB ports work just fine. I recommend a low profile USB drive.
It's my belief GM eliminated the SD for music because people were confusing the music slot for the PDR slot and vice versa. There are several threads on the forum related to this confusion.
I understand that USB is an option. But it seems such a kludge to have to connect a USB stick 24x7 in order to listen to music. It certainly doesn't seem very "professional", but I guess it's the only option.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

I understand that USB is an option. But it seems such a kludge to have to connect a USB stick 24x7 in order to listen to music. It certainly doesn't seem very "professional", but I guess it's the only option.
A USB stick is dirt cheap and you just plug it in and forget it. I'm not understanding the problem.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

I can't understand why anyone would pay a monthly fee for music. Not to mention the annoyance of having your cell phone suck down battery power and having to set it up every time you drive.

This past year I gave up listening to my 20 year music collection/Android, as well as Sirius/XM in favor of Pandora. I had free Pandora for about a year, I now subscribe. The fidelity is much better than the others. With my Android, the car automatically starts Pandora without any input on my part. We have Pandora on the PC, on the Sony DVD/TV in the main part of the house. My wife and kids all share the account, they use iPhones.

I copied all my Android music to a cheap USB, as simple as that is I never use it.

Quick Reply: Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found