Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Ron Fellows Driving School C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes I did. I had a 2015 Z-51 LT3 M7 with 6000 miles. I put 44,000 miles on it and recently traded it in on a 2019 Z06 LT2 M7 Here is the good the bad and the ugly
GOOD - The car ran well, Came with new tires and brakes, a maintenance log (see ugly too) and a partial warrantee. NOTE the a/c compressor failed prior to the warrantee expiring and GM replaced it.
BAD - Paint job and wind shield showed the wear of running high speed in the desert. SAND BLASTED. The rims had bad rock dings from a couple of off road excursions at Spring Mountain. The interior had a little higher wear on it then I expected.
UGLY - The used car dealer (DC Motors) that sold it to me was terrible to work with. Poor customer service. Very low knowledge of Corvettes, took them weeks to finalize paper work. DON'T BUY A CAR FROM THEM. You will regret it. Other UGLY, the warrantee is limited, no power train or suspension coverage. I went to Spring Mountain. I tried to talk to the mechanics They were very busy ad didn't have time. I mentioned I purchased one of there previous cars. The guy said good for you, we are not liable for your car. Very disappointing but understandable.

Bottom line. As a used car it was a great deal. If you can find a good sales person, get the price you want and do a real good inspection BUY it.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 225 Likes on 119 Posts

So how are SM cars any different from a Hertz rental sale other than the warranty? Both will have been driven hard but well maintained.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:00 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

There are so many better choices out there than this. Hardly ridden at all garage queens. Think about it.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:14 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

The one thing I will say about the Spring Mountain cars is that they maintain the hell out of them. Each track session runs 30-45 minutes after which the crew goes over each car, fluids, temp check, tire checks, etc and then they get at least 45 minute cool down before the next session. The tires normally last about 2 weeks give or take, and brake pads are checked and replaced if needed on a regular basis. The cars are run hard, but I wouldn't say they're abused, and they do run the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

I'd guess only a few of the SM cars are really beaten to death by Mario Andretti wannabes because the lead/follow format keeps the speeds from getting out of hand, and my experience after the ride along with the instructor was that I was only using 2/3 of the car's potential.... That said, with all the super deals on dealer stock cars at great prices with full warranties, I'd think long and hard about an SM car...
Old 08-22-2018, 11:57 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
I'd guess only a few of the SM cars are really beaten to death by Mario Andretti wannabes because the lead/follow format keeps the speeds from getting out of hand, and my experience after the ride along with the instructor was that I was only using 2/3 of the car's potential.... That said, with all the super deals on dealer stock cars at great prices with full warranties, I'd think long and hard about an SM car...
I agree. To me these cars are driven hard but I wouldn't say abused. "Abused" to me implies they are out drifting, doing burnouts and doughnuts and not maintaining them either. I was looking into getting a discounted GS and sending it to Katech to build a 427 for me, then I don't have to care about the warranty!

Quick Reply: Buying a Ron Fellows Driving School C7