I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
You can do it.
Epic fail on the baggy test. Smooth as can be by hand. Feels like sandpaper in the baggy. Looks like nano time.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:30 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Epic fail on the baggy test. Smooth as can be by hand. Feels like sandpaper in the baggy. Looks like nano time.
cheapthrills:

Awesome test. Good Job.

I thought that would be the case. If you clay bar or nano skin the paint you will be amazed at the difference. Then I would highly suggest spending the $80.00 for a bottle of the Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Paint coating (google the product for website).

If your going to keep the car a few years (2 to 3) this will be the best bang for your buck. The C7 will be so easy to maintain after the paint coating. You will have plenty left in the spray bottle to do other cars or share the product with other friends.

Glad you did the test. Good job.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I didn't want to be a naysayer but...water pooling on the car actually means it has bite and the surface tension is holding it there. If it were truly smooth and uniform, there wouldn't be any beading at all. The fact there are some fairly large beads means there is a lot of bite.

I'd be looking for a better product personally. All those beads leave marks from acid rain, pollution, etc.

Try harder...lol.
Plus, just clean paint with no wax or protectant will show the same result.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:25 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

cheapthrills:

Awesome test. Good Job.

I thought that would be the case. If you clay bar or nano skin the paint you will be amazed at the difference. Then I would highly suggest spending the $80.00 for a bottle of the Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Paint coating (google the product for website).

If your going to keep the car a few years (2 to 3) this will be the best bang for your buck. The C7 will be so easy to maintain after the paint coating. You will have plenty left in the spray bottle to do other cars or share the product with other friends.

Glad you did the test. Good job.
I have been waiting to do the Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Paint coating until I clay or nano. Guess now is as good of a time as any. I have a clay bar but really hate using clay, thinking of trying nanoskin wash mitt and save the clay for hard to reach spots. Let you know the results.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

I have been waiting to do the Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Paint coating until I clay or nano. Guess now is as good of a time as any. I have a clay bar but really hate using clay, thinking of trying nanoskin wash mitt and save the clay for hard to reach spots. Let you know the results.
Don't fear the clay bar, but the nano skin will also make a major difference.

I see your C7 might be Shark Gray. If so, the results will be fantastic as the Shark Gray is a great color to detail.

Keep us all posted.

Richard in New Mexico
Old 08-22-2015, 04:23 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

OK so thanks to the intense peer pressure from nmvettec7 I nanoskinned, polished and did the Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Paint coating. I must say I'm impressed, car has never looked this good. It's insanely smooth even in baggy mode and the metallic really pops now. Very happy at the results. After 24 hours I'm wondering what to top coat it with, just wax or the duragloss 105 I have?

Of course now I'm going to have to do this to my other vehicles.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:46 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

OK so thanks to the intense peer pressure from nmvettec7 I nanoskinned, polished and did the Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Paint coating. I must say I'm impressed, car has never looked this good. It's insanely smooth even in baggy mode and the metallic really pops now. Very happy at the results. After 24 hours I'm wondering what to top coat it with, just wax or the duragloss 105 I have?

Nice shine, great reflective qualities. I knew you would be happy.

I suggest a thin coat of your favorite wax, and buff it out by hand.

The C7 looks great. I am glad you took the advice, as one never knows how good the vehicle will look until you do the detailing. Nice work. Now the C7 will be so easy to maintain.

Buy a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class Quick Detail Spray, to keep the C7 looking AWESOME.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts

Nice shine, great reflective qualities. I knew you would be happy.

I suggest a thin coat of your favorite wax, and buff it out by hand.

The C7 looks great. I am glad you took the advice, as one never knows how good the vehicle will look until you do the detailing. Nice work. Now the C7 will be so easy to maintain.

Buy a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class Quick Detail Spray, to keep the C7 looking AWESOME.
Quick question.... So you still need to apply wax over the pinnacle black diamond ceramic paint coating? I thought the ceramic coating would take the place of wax
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KratosBear
Quick question.... So you still need to apply wax over the pinnacle black diamond ceramic paint coating? I thought the ceramic coating would take the place of wax
KratosBear:

No reason to be confused.

Appyling a thin coat of wax will provide a nice finish and some extra protection, but it is not necessary. It is at the owners discretion.

On all my premium sports cars I applied the Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating, let it cure or bond to the paint surface overnight then topped off the surface with a hand applied thin coat of Pinnacle Synergy Wax using a clean foam applicator, and hand buffed the wax.

A thin coat of wax will add "depth" to Cheapthrills SharkGray metallic paint. It looks great already and a thin wax application will make his C7 look even better.

The results will speak for themselves. Then all he has to do, is use a quick detailer spray ( like Meguairs Gold ClassQuick Detailer) to keep the shine and reflective qualities present buffing the detail spray with a microfiber towel. It will take about 10 minutes to quick detail and wipe the entire car. His detail work should last for several years, and it will be so easy to maintain the present appearence.

Do what you think is best for you and your vehicle.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 08-22-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:32 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts

KratosBear:

No reason to be confused.

Appyling a thin coat of wax will provide a nice finish and some extra protection, but it is not necessary. It is at the owners discretion.

On all my premium sports cars I applied the Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating, let it cure or bond to the paint surface overnight then topped off the surface with a hand applied thin coat of Pinnacle Synergy Wax using a clean foam applicator, and hand buffed the wax.

A thin coat of wax will add "depth" to Cheapthrills SharkGray metallic paint. It looks great already and a thin wax application will make his C7 look even better.

The results will speak for themselves. Then all he has to do, is use a quick detailer spray ( like Meguairs Gold ClassQuick Detailer) to keep the shine and reflective qualities present buffing the detail spray with a microfiber towel. It will take about 10 minutes to quick detail and wipe the entire car. His detail work should last for several years, and it will be so easy to maintain the present appearence.

Do what you think is best for you and your vehicle.
I love this forum! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:31 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Finally someone that takes constructive criticism and instead of saying "I like it, and it's my car, so...", or "to each his own, I think its great". The guy thought it was good, took some advice/criticism and now it's way better and the guy learned in the process.

I think this is the first time I've seen in this on here in years.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You have some very nice beading of the water, however, your beads should be able to run down the slopes of the hood, not stay on the surface. In addition, your water beads are large and should be much smaller in diameter.

You need to create a much slicker surface so the water beading runs off, not just sit on the surface. My bet is while you might have a good coat of wax on the C7, the paint surface is contaminated and needs to be clay barred or nano skinned. It is the "microscopic contaminents" that lay on the surface that cannot be seen, that prohibits the water beading from running down any surface or slope. The C7 has many slopes for water to run.
Using a clay bar on the paint will yield great results.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Yes.

FWIW, I tried the nano, but did not like the way it felt using it, and did not think it did as good a job.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:57 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I'm sure you are right but damn that nanoskin was so much easier. The car feels like ice so the extra reward for clay seems small.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:58 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RC000E
Finally someone that takes constructive criticism and instead of saying "I like it, and it's my car, so...", or "to each his own, I think its great". The guy thought it was good, took some advice/criticism and now it's way better and the guy learned in the process.

I think this is the first time I've seen in this on here in years.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Top coated with Meguiar’s NXT 2.0 as I had it laying around. OMG is this car stunning now. Even my wife was saying the car never looked this good and she's not a car person.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Top coated with Meguiar’s NXT 2.0 as I had it laying around. OMG is this car stunning now. Even my wife was saying the car never looked this good and she's not a car person.

Excellent....Cheapthrills....the C7 looks awesome. I am happy that you decided to go with a few of my suggestions.

Now, the easy part going forward.....so simple to keep clean. Consider buying a bottle a of the Meguiars Gold Class Quick Detailer. It comes in black spray bottle. Under $8.00 at Amazon.com.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7624 Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer - 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7624 Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer - 24 oz.: Automotive

Question: On the Meguiars NextGen 2.0 did you use the paste or spray? I use both, but for different applications.

I also suggest trying the Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel applied very thin for the tires. This stuff really lasts long and when applied in thin coat, it will not "spit" onto the body panels. I use the Chemical Guys Microfiber sponge to apply the Tire Gel.
Attached Images    

Last edited by nmvettec7; 08-23-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Looks good, personally I never got any duration out of NXT, It needed another coat after a few months as it washed /melted off . When you run out, try a true polymer like Rejex, or even easier as there is no buffing: blackfire crystal seal or Ultima paint sealer. If you love to buff, then give blackfire wet diamond a try.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:52 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Glen e
Looks good, personally I never got any duration out of NXT, It needed another coat after a few months as it washed /melted off . When you run out, try a true polymer like Rejex, or even easier as there is no buffing: blackfire crystal seal or Ultima paint sealer. If you love to buff, then give blackfire wet diamond a try.
on the NXT Gen2.0 and Glen e made some good suggestions on his products.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:10 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

"Question: On the Meguiars NextGen 2.0 did you use the paste or spray? I use both, but for different applications."

Mines a liquid wax.

I'll have to try that tire shine. I have been using armorall extreme tire shine gel with great results but failed to apply any before the photo shoot.

So I was talking to my new neighbor yesterday, during the conversation he said, "is that vette yours" so naturally after hours of labor I invited him over for a viewing. BTW it's hot as can be in FL right now you don't even stand outside without breaking a sweat. So after a couple of minutes he states, I'm dripping all over you car and it's not sweat, it's drool. I take that as a complement of a job well done.

Richard, thanks for the info and push to do the car correctly, the results are very rewarding.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 08-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.