Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is a new noise I'm dealing with...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here is a new noise I'm dealing with...

A little over 7k miles on my 2015 2LT, 7M, NPP standard coupe and now starting to hear a new noise inside the cabin. It is intermittent but becoming more frequent. Almost frequent enough that I might actually be able to get it into dealer soon with a chance they may actually hear it. When I got home tonight it started making the noise so I was able to capture some videos.

1st one is with camera back from dash a bit (more from the drivers perspective) ... it's closer to the actual sound you hear in the cabin.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjhayes/shares/K4BQR0

2nd one is with the camera sitting over the dash... it makes the sound seem MUCH louder than it really is in the car.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjhayes/shares/86S66r

I can not hear this under the hood. Under the hood it sounds like normal LS sewing machine noises. This noise is ONLY inside the cabin. Almost sounds like something 'shaking' behind the dash in perfect rhythm of the drivetrain... Yet it is intermittent. If I rev it a bit the sound quiets down. Let it come back to idle and it's there again... I have been checking oil regularly and levels are perfect.

Has anyone else had this yet?

Ideas?

2015 2LT, 7M, NPP
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,457 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

My '14 had a similar noise that started at around 1000miles, it would usually do it on hot restarts after sitting a few minutes. Sometimes it wouldnt do it at all. I thought maybe it was the high pressure fuel pump pulsing.

Dealer heard it and said its most likely the torque tube bearings and wanted to replace the torque tube. You could hear it coming from that area with the car on a lift. I just lived with it and the noise level never changed the whole time I owned the car. Figured it had 5 years and 100K to manifest itself and still be covered under warranty.

Still not entirely sure it was the torque tube but it was the same noise you are hearing in the videos.
The following users liked this post:
bjhayes (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 AM
bjhayes
Instructor

Originally Posted by kp
My '14 had a similar noise that started at around 1000miles, it would usually do it on hot restarts after sitting a few minutes. Sometimes it wouldnt do it at all. I thought maybe it was the high pressure fuel pump pulsing.

Dealer heard it and said its most likely the torque tube bearings and wanted to replace the torque tube. You could hear it coming from that area with the car on a lift. I just lived with it and the noise level never changed the whole time I owned the car. Figured it had 5 years and 100K to manifest itself and still be covered under warranty.

Still not entirely sure it was the torque tube but it was the same noise you are hearing in the videos.
Thanks...
How many miles on the car when you got rid of it?
Why did you get rid of it?

Drove in this morning (10 miles) and no noises (other than the rice Krispy roof)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bjhayes
Thanks...
How many miles on the car when you got rid of it?
Why did you get rid of it?

Drove in this morning (10 miles) and no noises (other than the rice Krispy roof)
9,000 when I sold it, the car was OK but it was pretty plain. Just a 2LT with an auto, no other options. I bought it early at a good price and had a chance to sell and not take much of a hit, figured I'd wait for '16 or '17 to get another. Just picked up a '16 the other day..

Mine started making that noise early though, and it would come and go randomly. Like I said, usually I would notice it if I drove the car somewhere and parked it for a few minutes, on the restart it would be pretty loud and then it would subside some.

Last edited by kp; 10-06-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I saw some discussion awhile back of a harmonic vibration of the center air-conditioning vent that was intermittent. Several people reported noise went away when they touched or re-positioned the vent. One fix was a very small piece of paper as a shim at the hinge point till they had oil change at dealer who replaced it.
tom
Old 10-06-2015, 11:12 AM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

This worked for me and another member on this forum, make sure the sun visor is secure. The noise sounded like it was inside the dash sometimes worse than other times,
The sun visor was not secure on mine and it almost drove me nuts.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 AM
bjhayes
Instructor

Originally Posted by HIHO
This worked for me and another member on this forum, make sure the sun visor is secure. The noise sounded like it was inside the dash sometimes worse than other times,
The sun visor was not secure on mine and it almost drove me nuts.
Thanks for the suggestion.. Wish it was that but nothing is loose in the car. Really sounds like it's from the drivetrain... like it's on steroids or something.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:24 AM
bjhayes
Instructor

Originally Posted by kenownr
I saw some discussion awhile back of a harmonic vibration of the center air-conditioning vent that was intermittent. Several people reported noise went away when they touched or re-positioned the vent. One fix was a very small piece of paper as a shim at the hinge point till they had oil change at dealer who replaced it.
tom
Thought the same at first too but after checking it all out no luck it was that simple.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 837 Likes on 373 Posts

Sounds like a woodpecker is trapped in your dash. Call the Audubon society for removal.

Last edited by Pisswilly; 10-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:18 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

This car is loosing it's luster.... I so wanted a Corvette and when I picked her up 1 year ago today it was a great day... Now... a year later... I'm just frustrated.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Our C7 had the death rattle at idle and it was diagnosed with a defective flex plate and torque tube which meant a major repair to the drive train. We had a tough decision to make, go through the whole repair process or sell it. The repair involves removing the drive train and is supposed to take 3 days, but you know how that goes.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 AM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Catalytic Converter maybe ?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

I doubt it's cats... Have gone 2 days without it occurring so you can see the random, intermittent nature of it. I sent videos to my dealer service manager and we agreed that when it happens again I will bring it by so they can have a tech witness it. Conveniently they are directly across the street from my office so when it happens again I should have a direct line to the tech.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

This car is loosing it's luster.... I so wanted a Corvette and when I picked her up 1 year ago today it was a great day... Now... a year later... I'm just frustrated.
I hear you, I have only had my new '16 for 2 days and its already lost its luster to the point where I dont even want to look at it Not drivetrain related though.

You have a 5 year 100K powertrian warranty, I know you dont want to have your car torn apart but I would just drive it and see if it gets worse. These engines and drivetrains are pretty noisy, lightweight car = less sound insulation and all kinds of sounds transmitted throughout the cabin.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:33 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Blower fan behind dash?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:36 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

Originally Posted by kp
....You have a 5 year 100K powertrian warranty, I know you dont want to have your car torn apart but I would just drive it and see if it gets worse. These engines and drivetrains are pretty noisy, lightweight car = less sound insulation and all kinds of sounds transmitted throughout the cabin.
My philosophy as well... It's just embarrassing to have a passenger in the 'flagship' Chevy and have these issues.

I get the less insulation / more noise... If this were a regular / consistent noise it would be no problem..

Get notified of new replies

To Here is a new noise I'm dealing with...

Old 10-07-2015, 07:42 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

My philosophy as well... It's just embarrassing to have a passenger in the 'flagship' Chevy and have these issues.

I get the less insulation / more noise... If this were a regular / consistent noise it would be no problem..
I felt exactly the same way, like I said I had the same noise in the videos you posted and it would come and go. I really think it had something to with the high pressure fuel pump or maybe even the lines. When mine was doing it thats when all the torque tubes were getting replaced and my heart sank when the dealer told me thats what it was.

But after watching some actual failing torque tube videos I didnt think it was the same so I didnt get it repaced. Its hard to tell, everything is jam packed in the cowl area and you cant see anything at all from underneath plus hot cats right around where the noise is coming from.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 AM
Alysha
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a strange sound in mine, and finally took it to the dealer yesterday. At first he said it might be the torque tube, but it ended up being a belt tensioner. Noise is gone now, though... except for those damn roof creaks.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:52 AM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I doubt it's cats... Have gone 2 days without it occurring so you can see the random, intermittent nature of it. I sent videos to my dealer service manager and we agreed that when it happens again I will bring it by so they can have a tech witness it. Conveniently they are directly across the street from my office so when it happens again I should have a direct line to the tech.
Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Here is a new noise I'm dealing with...