Sponsored by:

Interesting dealer mechanic statement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Interesting dealer mechanic statement

I was at the dealer yesterday for what I was told was a mandatory appointment for checking oil and fluid levels.

Medium size dealer with a dedicated mechanic for corvettes. (Great Guy) I told him I might have run the car to the rev limiter (Unintentionally). I am pass my 500 mile break in. He said you can run it to the rev limiter over and over again. He said I want you to understand that you cannot break this car , it will not break, but if it does, Bring it back and we will fix it for you.

I told him I won't forget that.
The following users liked this post:
TNSQUIRE (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Chevrolet would not give you the warranty you got if they thought you could break it.

Years ago if you ran a car low on oil the engine would run until it was dead.

Not now the car wouldn't run if it had low or no oil pressure.

Same thing with limp mode the car will run to get you to a dealer or home but it won't do it in a hurry.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

The first thing I would be suspect of is some tech telling me any type of check was "mandatory".
Old 10-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
The first thing I would be suspect of is some tech telling me any type of check was "mandatory".

The word mandatory was my word for the required appointment that was made by my dealer salesman the day I picked up my new car,
No tech said it . I should have said Chevrolet Recommended Appointment. I stand corrected, Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Total BS on mandatory anything from a dealership. I agree with your mechanic and applaud his directness. No worries on redline if the vehicle is in good condition and normal operating parameters.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:20 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I'm willing to bet big money your doing 100 mph in 4th,you want to downshift and instead of
Going to 3rd you go to 1st.You can forget about the rev limiter.And they put it on the computer.The dealership is going to fix the blown motor?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:24 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I do think people baby there warrantied cars way to much.

once everything is warmed up, the car is made to take a decent amount of aggressive driving. First day i bought my corvette, it had like 5 miles on it. Better believe that thing it redline that day. The next day also.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Given the many complaints on here about dealerships doing a poor job of PDI the last thing I would complain about is a dealer who wants the customer and car back a short time after initial delivery to touch base and check fluid levels. If the dealer were charging for this visit I would view it differently but from the OP's description this sounds like the sort of proactive customer service many would like to receive.

And I doubt that Casey (or any other rational customer) would expect the dealer to fix the car over an incorrect shift. Common sense says car protective programming and the warranty won't protect against this sort of behavior/abuse anymore than it would provide protection for the owner who decided to enter his C7 into a demolition derby.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I've been told at Bowling Green they rev the cars before they release them.So if there weren't any problems at the factory I don't see where going to the rev limiter would hurt it
When you 1st drive it.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:18 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I'm willing to bet big money your doing 100 mph in 4th,you want to downshift and instead of
Going to 3rd you go to 1st.You can forget about the rev limiter.And they put it on the computer.The dealership is going to fix the blown motor?

If you do this it will damage valves, lifters, possible the whole motor trashed. The Rev limiter won't save you in this kind of a case. Manual cars only as the autos won't let you make that gear change with the paddles.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Casey VP26
He said I want you to understand that you cannot break this car , it will not break, but if it does, Bring it back and we will fix it for you.

Odd that they cut cut the drive train warranty almost in half.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock13

If you do this it will damage valves, lifters, possible the whole motor trashed. The Rev limiter won't save you in this kind of a case. Manual cars only as the autos won't let you make that gear change with the paddles.
Depends, it's not always a death sentence, many people do it without and side effects. Clutching in pretty quick can save you from damage also depends if the tires slide or grip. Most of us have done it at least once in our lives.

But yeah regular rev limiter is nothing to worry about, you can ride it if you want.

Last edited by SK360; 10-29-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey VP26
I was at the dealer yesterday for what I was told was a mandatory appointment for checking oil and fluid levels.

Medium size dealer with a dedicated mechanic for corvettes. (Great Guy) I told him I might have run the car to the rev limiter (Unintentionally). I am pass my 500 mile break in. He said you can run it to the rev limiter over and over again. He said I want you to understand that you cannot break this car , it will not break, but if it does, Bring it back and we will fix it for you.

Are they a true corvette dealer. What I mean by this is that dealer ship had the mechanic's to go to BG KY to be shown how to work on the corvette.

I have had my vette to 2 diff chev delers here just for a OBD2 problem both of them said it was good r couldn't find nothing wrong with it. One of the salesman told me to take it to the dealer in murfreeboro tn which is almost 100 miles away.

That none of the mechanic's had gone to BG KY plus to do that each dealer ship had to pay 25,k plus agree to take so many vette each year. He also told me they put the best mechanic ON THE VETTE'S & HOPE THEY COULD FIND THE PROBLEM.

My OBD2 port would not read nothing only thing you could get out of it was reading 11 volts. So I took it down & told the guy they had it back & I was out with in one hour told me the power pin was a little pulled over & not in the male hole.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:20 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
Are they a true corvette dealer. What I mean by this is that dealer ship had the mechanic's to go to BG KY to be shown how to work on the corvette.

I have had my vette to 2 diff chev delers here just for a OBD2 problem both of them said it was good r couldn't find nothing wrong with it. One of the salesman told me to take it to the dealer in murfreeboro tn which is almost 100 miles away.

That none of the mechanic's had gone to BG KY plus to do that each dealer ship had to pay 25,k plus agree to take so many vette each year. He also told me they put the best mechanic ON THE VETTE'S & HOPE THEY COULD FIND THE PROBLEM.

My OBD2 port would not read nothing only thing you could get out of it was reading 11 volts. So I took it down & told the guy they had it back & I was out with in one hour told me the power pin was a little pulled over & not in the male hole.
The corvette is just a car, no more complicated then any other new car. Any competent mechanic can work on them just fine. The car is designed to be trashed on and the rev limiter is there for a reason. You could drive to work bouncing off of the rev limiter and do no damage to the car.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
The car is designed to be trashed on and the rev limiter is there for a reason. You could drive to work bouncing off of the rev limiter and do no damage to the car.
Do as you wish, I consider driving to work on the rev limiter an abusive behavior and if you have issues look in the mirror.

Plus there is a difference in valve train stability between hitting the rev limiter going through the gears and light load on/off the throttle as is likely in traffic. Don
Old 10-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Do as you wish, I consider driving to work on the rev limiter an abusive behavior and if you have issues look in the mirror.

Plus there is a difference in valve train stability between hitting the rev limiter going through the gears and light load on/off the throttle as is likely in traffic. Don

I think the mechanic just meant that, the car is built for racing, don't be afraid to drive the car fast and hard.

Clearly, you don't want to just keep it in first gear and floor it until you get to work. Not only would the engine just get unreasonably hot, your gas mileage might be... 1 or 2...
Old 10-29-2015, 02:11 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If you mechanically over rev the engine, you can have 100s of itty bitty pieces lurching around in your engine and probably some holes in the block too.

Drive the car to the top of the tach in 2nd and try to hit 3rd, miss and hit 1st. You let the clutch out and BAM! engine destruction!!

Rev limiters will not help you save that engine.

Drive the car in 1st and stay there with your foot buried on the floor. The rev limiter will stop your engine from exploding.

Manual transmissions can be mechanically over-reved and will destroy the engine.

Automatics will tell you to blow it out your donkey if you try to paddle down to a gear that will over-rev the engine.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting dealer mechanic statement

Old 10-29-2015, 03:46 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
I think the mechanic just meant that, the car is built for racing, don't be afraid to drive the car fast and hard.

Clearly, you don't want to just keep it in first gear and floor it until you get to work. Not only would the engine just get unreasonably hot, your gas mileage might be... 1 or 2...
My remark was a response to SK360's post not the dealer mechanic. Don
Old 10-29-2015, 09:55 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer

The car is designed to take abuse. I work in Automotive, the vehicle durability tests are BRUTAL, they abuse the crap out of a car.

That's how they make sure when you abuse it that it won't break.

Mechanical over-rev on a manual is a different story. But riding redline in gear is fine. The engine doesn't care.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:10 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

I've hit 1-2-1 and let the clutch fully out before realizing what was going on and the engine was fine, just some hurt pride, these cars aren't weak. lol.

Last edited by SK360; 10-29-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Interesting dealer mechanic statement