C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Quirk, hopefully not problem with 2106 Z51 A8 ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default 1st Quirk, hopefully not problem with 2106 Z51 A8 ....

Just passed the 500 mile mark and took a drive today and parked at restaurant.
Get back in car, start it, put it in D and drive away.
As I'm accelerating at a normal pace I realize it's not shifting.
I look down thinking I put it in M by mistake but it's in D and "stuck in 4th gear"
I try paddle shifting but nothing changes and then put it in M and try paddle shifting ... still nothing changes or works.
The M is not lighting up on the Console and still stuck in 4th gear.
Put it back into D ( which does light up ) but still nothing changes.
Pull over and park envisioning driving home stuck in 4th and going to the Dealer
Only hope I have is that it's a Computer related issue.
So I shut off the car, get out and let the doors lock.
Get back in, start it up and all is well
Drive home without further problems.
Here's hoping I don't see that happen again ................
Old 10-31-2015, 11:30 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Quirk or no, I'd darn sure take it in and let the dealer check it over. If something is wrong, sooner or later, you'll be glad you got it 'on the record'.

JV
The following users liked this post:
Dif (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

At least get it on record that there was a problem.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:50 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jet Vet
Quirk or no, I'd darn sure take it in and let the dealer check it over. If something is wrong, sooner or later, you'll be glad you got it 'on the record'.

JV
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
At least get it on record that there was a problem.
Will do
Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Doug Z06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me but at 110 miles. Here is a link to the thread I started https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sion-fail.html

See page 3 for my update fix. Turned out to be a loose ground. GM is aware of the problem. Take your car in and have the dealer clean and torque the ground and check/clear the codes.

Since the dealer fix I have had no problems. Good luck.

Edit - below is my post on the fix.

UPDATE

I heard from the service manager at the dealership. I'm not a mechanic and this is my first vette so please don't hammer me too hard on my explanation.

In the simplest of terms, there are several computers that talk to each other. The one computer/module that controls the transmission stopped talking to the others. The car went into safe mode (one gear to limp to the dealership) to protect itself.

Per the service manager, the cause of the problem (modules stopped talking) was a bad ground in the rear of the car. The ground supports three modules. The manager said that sometimes this specific ground isn't tightened properly at the factory or some grit gets in between the connection. The manager said there is no tech bulletin from GM on this, but it is a known problem.

They took the ground off, cleaned everything up and cleared the codes. They took the car for three separate test drives and so far no issues. Manager said there were no other engine or transmission code errors.

I think this is excellent news. Time will tell. When I pick up the car I will go over this again with the service manager and if I missed anything or didn't explain properly or adequately I will update my post.

Thanks for all the support. Great group here. I've learned a lot over the few months I've been on the forum.

Last edited by Doug Z06; 11-01-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:56 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dougz51
Exact same thing happened to me but at 110 miles. Here is a link to the thread I started https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sion-fail.html

See page 3 for my update fix. Turned out to be a loose ground. GM is aware of the problem. Take your car in and have the dealer clean and torque the ground and check/clear the codes.

Since the dealer fix I have had no problems. Good luck.

Edit - below is my post on the fix.

UPDATE

I heard from the service manager at the dealership. I'm not a mechanic and this is my first vette so please don't hammer me too hard on my explanation.

In the simplest of terms, there are several computers that talk to each other. The one computer/module that controls the transmission stopped talking to the others. The car went into safe mode (one gear to limp to the dealership) to protect itself.

Per the service manager, the cause of the problem (modules stopped talking) was a bad ground in the rear of the car. The ground supports three modules. The manager said that sometimes this specific ground isn't tightened properly at the factory or some grit gets in between the connection. The manager said there is no tech bulletin from GM on this, but it is a known problem.

They took the ground off, cleaned everything up and cleared the codes. They took the car for three separate test drives and so far no issues. Manager said there were no other engine or transmission code errors.

I think this is excellent news. Time will tell. When I pick up the car I will go over this again with the service manager and if I missed anything or didn't explain properly or adequately I will update my post.

Thanks for all the support. Great group here. I've learned a lot over the few months I've been on the forum.
Many Many Thanks for your reply and glad to hear it's not Mechanical

I figured the way it worked itself out is was Electrical / Computer related, but your info gives me something to tell the Dealer in earnest
I remember reading your thread now that I see it
And... I forgot to include the Clunk in my post like you mentioned
Exactly the same situation as you.
I put it in Reverse backing out of the parking spot and then into Drive.
I was also facing up a bit of a steep incline as I put it into Drive waiting to enter the roadway so didn't think too much of the clunk being on the incline.

Thanks again
Will update this thread as things progress.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Quirk, hopefully not problem with 2106 Z51 A8 ....

Quick Reply: 1st Quirk, hopefully not problem with 2106 Z51 A8 ....