Sponsored by:

What do you stick in your trunk hole and other dumb ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:55 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts
Default What do you stick in your trunk hole and other dumb ?'s

Took delivery 2 weeks ago and have been so busy, I still haven't had a chance to clean out my car.

I've learned that, with an M7, you must be an idiot to leave sunglasses and your phone on top of the center console. Even dumber is having a beverage in the car. Yes, I can avoid AFM, but no, I cannot drive with coffee without drinking half of it first.

Phone goes into the center spot with the USB ports. Sunglasses go behind the screen

BTW - the iphone6+, with a thin skin, fit perfectly flush into the cup holder. This was nice to discover until I found the
perfect cell phone holder perfect cell phone holder

What I'm curious about:
- The door storage, what do you stick in there?
- the trunk cubby, what do you stick in there?

My discoveries:
- That iphone6+ thing in the cup holder
- Groceries, with wine bottles stay put in the back using the net. Just push the trunk down on top of the groceries so that the mesh shade stretches over everything. I, um, turned off traction control for experimentation, having forgotten about the wine in the back. No problems

Boring topic I know, boring day at work too.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:03 PM
The_Fake_Stig
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even with the run flats I keep a plug kit, and a tiny car jumper/compressor combo thing in the hideaway hole in the trunk. That way if I get a flat I can make a safe stop in a parking lot, plug the hole up, and pump it back up. RunFlats will get you where you need to go, but without air in the tire they will heat up and end up destroying themselves. At the very least a plug kit should be kept, that way you can find a gas station plug and fill in order to keep you going until you can get to the tire shop.

As far as the sunglasses I do the same thing, keeps them cool enough in Texas, and doesn't leave a $300+ pair of goggles out in the open asking for people to smash your window in.

On the phone holder, I have been a user of the ProClip stuff for a while. Had one in my BRZ for my iPhone 6+ and now in the 'Vette for my iPhone 6s. They are custom fit, or you can order one made for a case, it holds the cable in for me so that I can just drop my phone in when I get in and it hooks up to CarPlay, and there is no amount of driving like a ******* that will dislodge my phone.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-19-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially when you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
BenCasey (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I keep a gun in the compartment behind the center screen. I keep a microfiber towel and detailing spray in the trunk hole.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:07 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Same here.
Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
I keep a gun in the compartment behind the center screen. I keep a microfiber towel and detailing spray in the trunk hole.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
A gun? In arms reach? In CA!?

Man, it's not like the vette doesn't already get enough police attention.. that's crazy!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:12 PM
The_Fake_Stig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BenCasey
A gun? In arms reach? In CA!?

Man, it's not like the vette doesn't already get enough police attention.. that's crazy!
It's where I would stow mine when going into places with 30.06 signs posted in TX...but I don't really go into those places. Only places I will go in with them posted are restricted access areas with posted security at ingress points.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

What would fit in there anyway? A .380? Compact 9? I imagine it needs to lay down..
Old 11-19-2015, 06:15 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

does the "perfect cell phone holder" fit in the cup holder or do you put it somewhere else?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:17 PM
The_Fake_Stig
Intermediate

What would fit in there anyway? A .380? Compact 9? I imagine it needs to lay down..
With all of the fairly small single stack 9's coming out, and the fairly recent baby glock release I'm sure that most people's carry guns would fit. Anything you can conceal in Houston without creating a heat issue will fit behind the screen. Watch out though, I wouldn't leave anything with any actual weight in there while driving, as people have had issues with things jamming up against the screen and causing issues while attempting to open the compartment back up and collect their belongings from it.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 PM
LimeRock
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an inflaitor and getting a tire repair kit.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have only opened the compartment behind the center screen twice, once to check operation of, and the other time I pushed the start button and the center screen opened????? Yea I know! As for the trunk, roller skates fit in the trunk compartment, lid will not totally close but they are held in place. Center console, cell phone, gold/silver bullion or whatever else I can cram in there. Door storage, unused.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

rear cubby is an airpump system with the green stuff in it only for out in the middle nowhere emergencies no runflats on my ride, I hate how they ride, no traction and are noisy. I cant think of anything that could go in the doors that wont fly out driving or opening the door except some used gum
Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I keep a quart of oil, a tire guage, a 100ftlb tire wrench and a rag to check oil in trunk hole. Behind infortainment screen I keep two roles of quarters for parking meters and my plugged in MP3 player.
Mr. Smith (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 07:19 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard.

I'm not good at coping links but here is a very nice cell phone holder but it is not cheap.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 974 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

In my rear cubby:
Rinseless mixed in spray bottle
2 mf
Slime/compressor
Tire shine and foam applicator
Tire gauge
Interior leather scent spray
Duster mini

Last edited by Glen e; 11-19-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,071 Likes on 593 Posts

I have in my trunk cubby: 1 bottle of Maguires window cleaner; a bottle of Zaino Z8; a bottle of Zaino detailer; a shoepolish style bottle used to put on my dial-in numbers at the drag strip; a plastic can of ArmorAll wipes; an sponge applicator for the Zaino; 2 micro fiber towels and one regular towel.

I have in my dash cubby: 4 flash drives with music; one Nikon camera and one charger kit for my cell phone.

In the passenger door pocket I have a Corvette umbrella. I also have one pair of sunglasses on my visor clip and 2 other car matching color pair in the glove box.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:46 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

S&W M&P Shield 9mm perfect fit.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you stick in your trunk hole and other dumb ?'s

Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 PM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Think!

A handgun belongs on one's person...NEVER stowed away. Particularly in a place so many of you broadcast to millions. Wow!
Period.

Peace, out.
jmmoh (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:28 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Behind screen: Kimber Solo, holstered with extra magazine, and a spare usb-lightning cable

Trunk Cubby: dual-voltage inflator, plug kit, leather gloves, Leatherman, cheap poncho, several small mf towels, bag of change and emergency gas money, spare water bottle, Torq multi tool.

Console: tire gauge, small notebook, pens, reading glasses, sd card, another Leatherman, bag of spare change and bills.

Travel Buddy: any drink containers go here, not in the console drink holder.

Pants pocket: iPhone, lint, fob.

Door pocket: travel-pack tissues, small umbrella
Old 11-19-2015, 08:46 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Drivers door has spare work glasses and a micro fiber glasses wipe. Behind the screen is typically nothing, unless I have to remove my sunglasses while driving. Center compartment gas receipts. Passengers door is empty. Rear compartment has Chadwick's, micro fiber, digital tire gauge and spare lug nuts (leftovers after installing locks). My compressor/battery jumper is to big so it sits behind the driver's seat and the shade drop.

Quick Reply: What do you stick in your trunk hole and other dumb ?'s