Sponsored by:

So my transmission blew up today....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:48 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

This aught to be interesting

Last edited by cheapthrills; 12-02-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 PM
WhiteA8C7
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
simple fix here for the OP to stop confusion. since a lot of guys have an A8 transmission we all would like to call your dealer and ask them what "we" can do to stop it from happening to us.

This will do 2 things
1. make sure this thread is legit and if it is
2. give guys some help to avoid this issue on their car,

If you aren't able to do that for the forum then the thread should be closed, simple as that. I for one don't like threads that knock the car especially if its untrue,,,,,,, the forum rules are for just that.
The forum is for help and idea's not for bashing these great cars. provide the dealer and we will be good

otherwise close it. paul
Who cares what you think. My concern is getting my $75K car fixed properly and the last thing im going to do is post the Dealer fixing my car here and **** them off over getting tons of nonsense calls from some people in denial in a car Forum. You sir know where to go! Why not ask your stupid question as to how to avoid a failed A8 transmission in the ask Tadge section?

Last edited by WhiteA8C7; 12-02-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:04 PM
jerrysmith2048
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteA8C7
Who cares what you think. My concern is getting my $75K car fixed properly and the last thing im going to do is post the Dealer fixing my car here and **** them off over getting tons of nonsense calls from some people in denial in a car Forum. You sir know where to go!
I actually agree with you..

But If your making this up you have too much time on your hands & you need a hobby-- but for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would make something like this up. I don't get the feeling this is a made up story though.

what I am detecting is a bit of what I call "fanboy syndrome". Every forum has them. It means you can't say anything negative about the product without the fanboys jumping down your throat and coming to its defense. Some people defend the product like it is their child lol.

Its just a car. A good one, in my opinion. But I will say from personal experience that General Motors does not do a good job of providing quality support and service to its customers in terms of warranty repairs, especially when those are engine or transmission related.

There is way too much variation in terms of the type of service you receive between dealerships, and GM really needs to own this. They should also know good and well that mechanics at dealerships are parts changers and they have no business opening up engines or transmissions or other complicated parts. They would never ask one of their dealerships to have a mechanic rebuild an alternator so why should they be rebuilding transmissions.

My $0.02.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:21 PM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

What else can I do?
Post your VIN and where you bought the car. Maybe that will settle the doubters....

HH
Old 12-02-2015, 06:25 PM
WhiteA8C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by HoldHard
Post your VIN and where you bought the car. Maybe that will settle the doubters....

HH
I have nothing to prove to anyone here.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I love the people here who say "DEMAND" a new transmission. "DEMAND" that the insurance company pays for loss in value. "DEMAND" that the insurance company totals the car. "DEMAND" a Cadillac loaner.

Demand, demand, baloney. Bottom line is that you are at the mercy of these companies and hopefully they will do right by you. In most cases they are fair and live up to their warranties and contracts.

These "DEMAND" people should just hold their breath until they turn blue and see what that gets them.

To the OP: Sorry about your car and hope your bad luck changes soon. The best you can do is try to work with GM and the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 06:47 PM
WhiteA8C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I love the people here who say "DEMAND" a new transmission. "DEMAND" that the insurance company pays for loss in value. "DEMAND" that the insurance company totals the car. "DEMAND" a Cadillac loaner.

Demand, demand, baloney. Bottom line is that you are at the mercy of these companies and hopefully they will do right by you. In most cases they are fair and live up to their warranties and contracts.

These "DEMAND" people should just hold their breath until they turn blue and see what that gets them.

To the OP: Sorry about your car and hope your bad luck changes soon. The best you can do is try to work with GM and the dealer.

Thank You. You are right what can I do? I can't demand $hit Chevrolet is going to fix it on GMs terms. Yes they should replace it in my opinion
but in all reality as you say a new car warranty is more or less just a type of insurance policy and all they are required to do is to make the gear box work again. The bad thing about Corvette is you are paying luxury car prices from a mostly low end car brand so you don't get treated like a Cadillac or Lexus buyer does even though you are in the same price point.

Last edited by WhiteA8C7; 12-02-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:21 PM
jerrysmith2048
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank You. You are right what can I do? I can't demand $hit Chevrolet is going to fix it on GMs terms. Yes they should replace it in my opinion
but in all reality as you say a new car warranty is more or less just a type of insurance policy and all they are required to do is to make the gear box work again. The bad thing about Corvette is you are paying luxury car prices from a mostly low end car brand so you don't get treated like a Cadillac or Lexus buyer does even though you are in the same price point.

Well you make an interesting point here. My Cadillac dealer here will service Corvettes (including warranty) if you ask. I wonder if they still do..

Last edited by jerrysmith2048; 12-02-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 PM
WhiteA8C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerrysmith2048
Well you make an interesting point here. My Cadillac dealer here will service Corvettes (including warranty) if you ask. I wonder if they still do..
Now this is funny you mention this. My Chevrolet dealer also owns a Cadillac GMC store a few miles away. They are sending my transmission to the Cadillac store to be rebuilt because that store has already rebuilt THREE A8s two out of Cadillacs and one from a GMC SUV. The Chevy store has never done one so they are playing it safe giving it to the guy over at Cadillac. They claim the A8 is very tricky to work on because it has such close tolerances and all this guy does at the Cadillac store is transmissions.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Before I give any advice or comment, I'd like a Moderator or Admin to confirm the IP address of this post and check it to insure that this isn't ANOTHER new ID from the same guy that has been trolling the board.

Elmer
That is not always as easy as it sounds. Many people use IP VPN software and can appear as totally different IP's each time they log into a site.

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and wish him good luck on getting his trans replaced.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:57 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

My 2015 A8 non Z51 with 2000 miles on it now, had only 600 miles when all of this started and dealer has put over 300 of these miles on it test driving has been in the dealer shop for 30 days today. it is rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and down shifting hard and going in and out of 7th gear it will also down shift at about 80 mph to 4th and stick there until you pull over and shut it down and restart, the engineers from gm finally showed up today after waiting for over 2 weeks and they agree there is a very bad problem but they have no idea whats wrong they just down loaded all of the info and said they would send the info to the michigan engineering center and would contact some engineer at Bowling green. I found out that calling the customer service line listed in the owners manual is a complete waste of time, all they do is contact the dealership and talk to them and call you back and tell you what you already know. I will give them another week or so before I seek some type of legal action.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by HoldHard

HH
And a valid credit card number. Oh social security too. We're gonna need that.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Sorry if I **** some of you off but I will not be buying a 2015 A8 anytime soon and will keep my obsolete 2014 A6 until the A8 problems are solved . Not happy about this one bit for the guys like the OP that are having problems with their 2015 A8 trannys. Hope the 2016 A8 cars are fixed and these threads are terrible for future 2015 A8 buyers. Good luck OP I would be PISSED OFF IF IT WAS ME!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 12-02-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now this is funny you mention this. My Chevrolet dealer also owns a Cadillac GMC store a few miles away. They are sending my transmission to the Cadillac store to be rebuilt because that store has already rebuilt THREE A8s two out of Cadillacs and one from a GMC SUV. The Chevy store has never done one so they are playing it safe giving it to the guy over at Cadillac. They claim the A8 is very tricky to work on because it has such close tolerances and all this guy does at the Cadillac store is transmissions.
This is may be good news in one sense, but certainly bad news that there are this many problems with the A8.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:17 PM
WhiteA8C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
And a valid credit card number. Oh social security too. We're gonna need that.
yup! Thanks I needed a laugh tonight.

Originally Posted by greendot
This is may be good news in one sense, but certainly bad news that there are this many problems with the A8.
Yea the Corvette is not alone it seems.

Originally Posted by red 1
My 2015 A8 non Z51 with 2000 miles on it now, had only 600 miles when all of this started and dealer has put over 300 of these miles on it test driving has been in the dealer shop for 30 days today. it is rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and down shifting hard and going in and out of 7th gear it will also down shift at about 80 mph to 4th and stick there until you pull over and shut it down and restart, the engineers from gm finally showed up today after waiting for over 2 weeks and they agree there is a very bad problem but they have no idea whats wrong they just down loaded all of the info and said they would send the info to the michigan engineering center and would contact some engineer at Bowling green. I found out that calling the customer service line listed in the owners manual is a complete waste of time, all they do is contact the dealership and talk to them and call you back and tell you what you already know. I will give them another week or so before I seek some type of legal action.
Well most states lemon laws have a 30 days and your out clause no matter how many tries have been made to fix it. Tell the Dealer to call the local Zone office and tell them they owe you a new car as per your States lemon law. This is a fact not a pipe dream. Start looking at colors and options my friend!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-02-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner of each post!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:30 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Well most states lemon laws have a 30 days and your out clause no matter how many tries have been made to fix it. Tell the Dealer to call the local Zone office and tell them they owe you a new car as per your States lemon law. This is a fact not a pipe dream. Start looking at colors and options my friend!
I have found out this is harder than it seems the dealer has to have it 30 working days not calendar days and then you have to go through arbitration apparently through the BBB and i really don't have a problem with the dealer they have been exceptionally good, they have no support from GM.

Last edited by red 1; 12-02-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,776 Likes on 4,195 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Before I give any advice or comment, I'd like a Moderator or Admin to confirm the IP address of this post and check it to insure that this isn't ANOTHER new ID from the same guy that has been trolling the board.

Elmer

IP address checked-it is not the same as Black&White.

Remember guys, the glass CAN be 1/2 full. It doesn't always have to be half empty.
The following 5 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
BRussell (12-04-2015), JimNeedsC7 (12-04-2015), Not So Fast (12-10-2015), StingerBG (12-03-2015), Thunder22 (12-03-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To So my transmission blew up today....

Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

So mine is still brand new. 2000 miles. 2000 fun miles. I love my eight speed.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

So if 60+% of all '15 C7s were A8 that is about 21K cars. How many A8 trannies have actually failed. Didn't I read that Spring Mountain has not seen any failures? I'm hoping it is a rare event.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 PM
WhiteA8C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by red 1
I have found out this is harder than it seems the dealer has to have it 30 working days not calendar days and then you have to go through arbitration apparently through the BBB and i really don't have a problem with the dealer they have been exceptionally good, they have no support from GM.
it has nothing to do with the dealer it wont effect them at all. call the BBB and start option shopping. you will make it. Someone here needs to win!

Quick Reply: So my transmission blew up today....