Old 12-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by 2880
Shouldnt you be on OSO? Lol
Damn Internet stalkers.
Don't tell anyone you saw me here. My GF only knows I hang out with the C5 crowd. If she catches wind I'm investigating C7s, she's going to either kick me out, or demand a specific color combo.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-02-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:01 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by MarCorpsMustang
And here's an email followup on the PDR:
"We have contacted GM Technical Assistance on the PDR issue we had today. They said that they have been having problems with this software programming on a specific PDR part number which happened to be the one that your Corvette has. They directed us to replace the PDR, which we knew that already...but they also will have to write us a specific program for this repair. Basically, when we replace that PDR we will have to call GM and they will write us the program and send it to us to install in your car."
If I'm interpreting this correctly, this PDR for this car requires unique custom coding to make it work. Hell, it worked when I brought it in, but the flash/upgrade killed it.
In fairness, you probably can't blame Criswell for the issue with the PDR. Unless Dina is BS'ing you, it sounds like GM screwed that one up.

But the other issue is disheartening to hear about.

I've been to Criswell for service twice. Once for the first free oil and filter change (they use Mobil 1, no hassle there), and once to fix something that got scratched up on the first visit. On the positive side, they didn't argue about whether it was their fault or not, and replaced it at their cost.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:36 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Woodson
I understand. I had a fantastic sales experience and horrible service from the same dealer.
Ironic how that works. Vastly different by dealership/location. we have some cracker jack service departments in my area of TX. It is the front end of the business that is lacking.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 PM
bluevette67
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

This was years ago when I lived in Princeton, NJ. The worst customer service I have ever received in my life. Hopefully, it is much better here in NOVA. I loved the car, but was constantly in the shop and the manager threatened me when I caught his GF or whoever she was out driving my car. I was done.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Interesting you mention Service and dumping a car. My sister ditched her Infiniti G-coupe because the NoVa dealer she went to was AWFUL. She went with an Audi Q5, and now just ordered a new 2016 S5 because she likes the brand & service experience better.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
Unfortunately, it seems that many dealers (but not all) drop the ball with how service handles the customers. They place a lot of resources to make the sales department top notch with training, slick ads and point of purchase material, slick showrooms and lighting and then don't train the service department how to keep the ball rolling. In a case of the above, it's now a widely known issue regarding the creaking roof (they should keep a quantity of these parts on hand), they knew you had an appointment for this issue two weeks ahead of time and you drove 2 hours to get there. Why not have someone in service double check the appointments and make sure the parts are in stock or notify you ahead of time of an out of stock issue. Seems like common sense but as many people noted in other threads, the sales department and the service department are like two separate entities at some dealerships. When I call any place regarding service (not just dealerships), I shouldn't have to but I do the thinking for the person on the phone. I ask do you have the parts in stock for this issue? Will you be able to get to it as soon as I get there or will there be a wait? Do you expect any other issues that may delay the repair of the problem? etc.
The vast majority of the cases they don't need to track parts ahead of time since they do not know which parts are going to be required. Just because a Customer calls ahead of time and says they are bringing the car in for such and such repair doesn't mean that repair is the correct one for a particular problem. If they ordered parts based on a Customer's viewpoint they would end up with lots of parts in inventory they don't need.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 04:24 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

this isnt how dealerships work. you cant just say you need something and expect them to stock it.
Steve_R (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
this isnt how dealerships work. you cant just say you need something and expect them to stock it.
I would agree that for most issues, the dealer needs to confirm parts are needed before they order.....In this case I don't buy it. There is a TSB for the roof. If you make an appointment to have this fixed and you give them the TSB, there is no reason why they should not have had the parts available for your repair. This sounds like they looked at their inventory on the computer but never verified. This is not an uncommon scenerio.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

And here's an email followup on the PDR:
"We have contacted GM Technical Assistance on the PDR issue we had today. They said that they have been having problems with this software programming on a specific PDR part number which happened to be the one that your Corvette has. They directed us to replace the PDR, which we knew that already...but they also will have to write us a specific program for this repair. Basically, when we replace that PDR we will have to call GM and they will write us the program and send it to us to install in your car."
If I'm interpreting this correctly, this PDR for this car requires unique custom coding to make it work. Hell, it worked when I brought it in, but the flash/upgrade killed it.
I'm sorry but GM doesn't just "write" software for 1 individual PDR unit. Sounds like the reprogram was interrupted/corrupted. You'll get a new screen, and you'll get the same software that everyone else receives. I hate it when dealers try to direct the blame else where by making things up. Anytime I screw up, I am upfront and honest with a customer. Whether I forgot to call someone back, or forgot to order a part, I confess. Honesty goes a long way, people are understanding that mistakes happen and if you're honest you'll get a second chance.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:37 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

So sorry to hear about your negative ordeal at Criswell. I have been buying new Chevrolets (Corvettes and Camaros) in the DC area for over 40 years now, and I have bought them at several dealerships, including dealership (no longer in business) owned by a personal friend. Of all the dealerships I have dealt with, even my friends Chevy dealership, Criswell has treated me the best, completed the work on time, and I have had no problems. Fair is fair, I too drive from Virginia out near Winchester to Criswell to get serviced, as I much rather go there then any other dealership. I just go on Saturday, or a day off on weekday so I do not worry about time constraints, as its not the dealers fault about DC traffic. You know as well as I do, DC, MD and VA traffic is the pits period, no matter if you drive 150 miles of 15 miles, you end up in a bad traffic jam that takes you an hour to get anywhere. It's the regional culture, TRAFFIC, POOR ROADS, and too many cars.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 12-03-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Its a sucky situation but being a business owner myself who orders ALOT of parts sometimes sh*t happens unfortunately. Vendors/distributors drop the ball on me all of the time and leave me high and dry when parts are promised, incorrect parts or partial orders. I'm not saying that its right, and maybe they should have caught it but it happens even when trying to be the best prepared as you can. They most likely ordered it, possibly it even showed it was shipped from GM on their packing slip when they received their shipment, or someone made a mistake there,

Hope it all turns out OK for you.
MarCorpsMustang (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGA
If that's the case their "programmers" violated the first rule of software updating... Never, NEVER, make an update without a backup plan, or copy in this situation, before one attempts the update.

Some extra memory in the PDR, to which they could copy the existing verion, would have solved this problem without needing custom code to make it work...

The service technicians, are not computer or application engineers. Their training is very limited, and must follow strict plan of actions, and instructions, developed and enforced by Chevrolet. The Operating Systems are not like a home computer and are priority developed, not for open systems, which is done on purpose.

The first step is the machine throws an error code, kept on the systems log, then performs a self diagnosis, resets its threshold, then tries a reload. The service technician follows a set practice and its automated. If it fails the replace the module, they do not troubleshoot, the are NOT application engineers. Their backup is to get a new module, replace and program. If a failure of this type causes the system to freeze, or not accept the reprogram, it just re-enforces there is a serious enough problem with the PDR which it should be replaced. I would much rather have a new module then have a service technician implement a Back UP that would only disguise or over ride the actual problem.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 12-03-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I'm sorry but GM doesn't just "write" software for 1 individual PDR unit. Sounds like the reprogram was interrupted/corrupted. You'll get a new screen, and you'll get the same software that everyone else receives. I hate it when dealers try to direct the blame else where by making things up. Anytime I screw up, I am upfront and honest with a customer. Whether I forgot to call someone back, or forgot to order a part, I confess. Honesty goes a long way, people are understanding that mistakes happen and if you're honest you'll get a second chance.
I agree they will not write a specific software PER car. Although owning an electronics integration company, I've had it on more than one occasion unfortunately when updating a firmware on a piece of equipment that the firmware gets corrupted leaving the part useless.

That's when I usually go outside to may van, close the door and scream profanities at the top of my lungs.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Brokaw123
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my utter amazement, my first service experience at Criswell has been a flop. I made an appointment two weeks ago to have the creaking roof issued resolved today, along with flash/upgrades for the transmission, PDR, and infotainment system. Despite the two-week lead time, two hours into my wait in the lounge (and a two-hour drive to get here), Dina let me know they don't have all the parts needed to fix the roof. The roof repair requires four parts: two pins and two striker plates. Strangely, they only have three of the four in stock. Although Dina offered profuse apologies and an option to take a loaner and return tomorrow or Friday, I declined. I did not wish to make another four-hour round trip to return for something that I unambiguously implored them to repair today and gave two weeks lead time to prepare. I cannot stand that creaking roof for another day, but I also cannot stand four hours in Washington Metro Area traffic. Although I bought the car here at Criswell, it is unlikely I'll be back for any further service.
Hendricks Chevrolet, Glen Allen, Va service has been amazing on my 15 Z-51...highly recommend them.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by 2880
No surprise there - as a repeat customer had a miserable experience trying to buy my Corvette from them - was very disappointed.
You probably didn't deal with Mike Furman who has an excellent reputation.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 12-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Mike treated me very well and I am a happy customer on the sales side. I have not had any experience with the service department yet.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
No, I did not. When the salesman I was communicating with was not answering e-mails, I called Criswell and asked for another salesman and their response was to put me on hold and hang up on me. The new car sales manager called my business, my employee answered the phone and took a message - but at that point I was too angry to deal with them.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:29 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I would agree that for most issues, the dealer needs to confirm parts are needed before they order.....In this case I don't buy it. There is a TSB for the roof. If you make an appointment to have this fixed and you give them the TSB, there is no reason why they should not have had the parts available for your repair. This sounds like they looked at their inventory on the computer but never verified. This is not an uncommon scenerio.
TSB dont mean crap, seeing how people cant even get mobile 1 oil in their vettes at dealerships.

the way it works.
-you make appointment
-they look at car to see what the problem is.
-they order parts or have it in stock to fix car.

I am telling you dealerships are not going to order parts just going off what you say. They want to verify it.

Same reason why people get pissed when the car wont duplicate a problem while at the dealership. Then it doesnt get fixed, dealerships must "see" the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To First service experience at Criswell....disappointed

Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoses52
I initially placed my vette order from Criswell, but had to cancel and go with Les Stanford since they let me use a Employee Discount and Criswell didnt. I took it twice in for service at Criswell and they are definitely better than others in the area. But I feel your pain, I feel as if Corvettes need to have the same service level as a Benz or BMW service.
That's the same with me.I tried Criswell 1st.When they didn't want to do discounts under MSRP,I went to A well known dealer 300 miles away from me and received A 10% discount.Next time I won't even call them and ask.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I had my car in for hard shifting and roof recall and blank dash. I was surprised they had no roof parts. Parts ordered on Thursday came in on Monday car set till Thursday I came in found car not touched parts in floor board car covered in tree sap and bird pop. I was livid they jumped on it. I was out the door in 2 hours. This was at dealer in Atlanta ga. they have always done bang up work was this a let down. Management wanted to know what would make me happy fix my car don't crap it up with tree sap and pop. They wanted to wash no way I'm letting someone broom brush wash my car.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 12-03-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:16 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
The service technicians, are not computer or application engineers. Their training is very limited, and must follow strict plan of actions, and instructions, developed and enforced by Chevrolet. The Operating Systems are not like a home computer and are priority developed, not for open systems, which is done on purpose.

The first step is the machine throws an error code, kept on the systems log, then performs a self diagnosis, resets its threshold, then tries a reload. The service technician follows a set practice and its automated. If it fails the replace the module, they do not troubleshoot, the are NOT application engineers. Their backup is to get a new module, replace and program. If a failure of this type causes the system to freeze, or not accept the reprogram, it just re-enforces there is a serious enough problem with the PDR which it should be replaced. I would much rather have a new module then have a service technician implement a Back UP that would only disguise or over ride the actual problem.
Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear.

I was not referring to the techs writing the software, I meant whoever at GM was doing it; although as another forum member pointed out, that is unlikely...

As for the "backup", that support and process should have been included in the update or install process/software. i.e. the update being applied.
cyberay (12-03-2015)

Quick Reply: First service experience at Criswell....disappointed