Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable convertible hard top

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm amazed at how stiff the C7 convertible top is. If you smack it or push on it it's very solid... And then it folds up and stashes in the trunk with the push of a button. I admit I'm a convertible newbie, but this thing blew my mind when I first played with it. No need for a hard top.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 AM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I'm amazed at how stiff the C7 convertible top is. If you smack it or push on it it's very solid... And then it folds up and stashes in the trunk with the push of a button. I admit I'm a convertible newbie, but this thing blew my mind when I first played with it. No need for a hard top.

the construction is very good- the thick cloth fabric is so much better than cheap vinyl used on older models

My only major complaint is the rear window is ridiculously tiny- can't even see the cars directly behind me. Definitely requires careful adjustment of the side mirrors
The following users liked this post:
T-TOP TOM (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:02 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego

the construction is very good- the thick cloth fabric is so much better than cheap vinyl used on older models

My only major complaint is the rear window is ridiculously tiny- can't even see the cars directly behind me. Definitely requires careful adjustment of the side mirrors
I'll probably get crucified by the coupe guys for this but... Own a vert but have driven my dads coupe 1500 miles or so. IMO the back window in the coupe is actually about the same for blind spots. My dad thinks the vert windows is actually a little better. I think the coupe side window makes getting into a lane to the right of you a little easier though.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Several reasons GM stopped the Removable Hard Tops. Starting with the Convertible went away in 1976, 75 was the last year.

1. Replaced by the T-Tops.

2. Expense, costly to produce, and coming from the factory they were under warranty and always leaked.

3. Weight was a factor, as the C2 and yes C3 Hard shells were heavy, bulky, and to get a good watertight seal was almost impossible. You also experience a lot of wind noise, as the hard shells were not insulated. Took two people to put one on, and the chances of scratching the paint was almost certain. Attachment hardware was a nightmare. Clamps, flashing, and just the overall design was poor, more of an after thought.

4. The design of the actual car made it difficult for them to couture the hardtop to fit snuggly, and water tight. T-Tops (Targa) made better sense, besides during the mid 70's the convertible was under attack as being dangerous, and became more of a liability for the car makers.

5. As the convertible returned in the 90, after the success of ASC (chop shop) making convertibles from Camaros and Corvettes, and several other new cars, GM decided to make factory convertibles once again, but the technology was more advanced with the material being used, the mechanics, lighter in weight, better insulation, and most of all much easier for the owner to put the top down and put it up MANNUALLY. So after market hardtops for the C4 and C5 was became available but limited runs, not all colors, and they still remained HEAVY, cumbersome, and difficult to attaché, as you needed to modify the car for the secure clips. So the hardtops really did not make a big comeback, although they are out there for the C4 and C5 and I even saw some for the C6.

6. As far as a factory option, never really got the numbers to make it feasible to mass produce these after the C2. People who had them on the C2 did not really like them (I am sure there are some), but for the most part, they were poor quality and design, requiring a lot of time and effort to attach and remove. with a great deal of space to store. Many were scratched while being stored, more then on the car.

Hardtops have always been hard to store, hard to put on and remove, and just not really practical enough. Now with the new C7, and the internal alarm system, advances in aftermarket security devices, and most of all the ease of putting top up and down, newer lightweight material, and the overall reliability, GM will never go the removable Hardtop route again. I highly doubt the Corvette will ever have a hardtop convertible top mechanism, simply because of the weight factor....

Here you have it the history of the Removable Hardtop.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 12-15-2015 at 09:36 AM.
gurneyeagle (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
35 mpg? yikes!

Mine is 30. So this is a serious query.
I think that is mis-typed. The C7 top will cycle till 30MPH.

Jimmy
Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Several reasons GM stopped the Removable Hard Tops. Starting with the Convertible went away in 1976, 75 was the last year.

1. Replaced by the T-Tops.

2. Expense, costly to produce, and coming from the factory they were under warranty and always leaked.

3. Weight was a factor, as the C2 and yes C3 Hard shells were heavy, bulky, and to get a good watertight seal was almost impossible. You also experience a lot of wind noise, as the hard shells were not insulated. Took two people to put one on, and the chances of scratching the paint was almost certain. Attachment hardware was a nightmare. Clamps, flashing, and just the overall design was poor, more of an after thought.

4. The design of the actual car made it difficult for them to couture the hardtop to fit snuggly, and water tight. T-Tops (Targa) made better sense, besides during the mid 70's the convertible was under attack as being dangerous, and became more of a liability for the car makers.

5. As the convertible returned in the 90, after the success of ASC (chop shop) making convertibles from Camaros and Corvettes, and several other new cars, GM decided to make factory convertibles once again, but the technology was more advanced with the material being used, the mechanics, lighter in weight, better insulation, and most of all much easier for the owner to put the top down and put it up MANNUALLY. So after market hardtops for the C4 and C5 was became available but limited runs, not all colors, and they still remained HEAVY, cumbersome, and difficult to attaché, as you needed to modify the car for the secure clips. So the hardtops really did not make a big comeback, although they are out there for the C4 and C5 and I even saw some for the C6.

6. As far as a factory option, never really got the numbers to make it feasible to mass produce these after the C2. People who had them on the C2 did not really like them (I am sure there are some), but for the most part, they were poor quality and design, requiring a lot of time and effort to attach and remove. with a great deal of space to store. Many were scratched while being stored, more then on the car.

Hardtops have always been hard to store, hard to put on and remove, and just not really practical enough. Now with the new C7, and the internal alarm system, advances in aftermarket security devices, and most of all the ease of putting top up and down, newer lightweight material, and the overall reliability, GM will never go the removable Hardtop route again. I highly doubt the Corvette will ever have a hardtop convertible top mechanism, simply because of the weight factor....

Here you have it the history of the Removable Hardtop.
Yes, the removable hardtop had it's drawbacks but a lot of them were also found on the soft top. As one that had experience with soft tops back in the 50's-60's I can say that the soft tops also leaked, were noisy, and were downright COLD in the winter.

The improvements in soft top technology, has made the old style removable hardtop obsolete. BUT, the built-in hardtops(first used by Ford in 1957 and now used by many manufacturers) are actually as good or even better than the soft tops of today.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-15-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:42 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

When I was living in Chicago I bought a after market removable hardtop for my 1970 Vert. It really made a difference in creature comfort in Winter (it was a daily driver, in all weather). But it was a PITA to change out and store. So it didn't get changed except when the seasons changed, 2x a year.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:59 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

After having 2-top 57, 67, and 75 verts, the last hardtop I ordered was in 93. They sold just under 1000 of them that year. The option went from $215 in the early years to $1995 for the C4 version. That, and all the other reasons mentioned above, caused hardtop sales to drop steadily to a bit over 400 in 1996. There was just no business case to offer a new version after 1996. I always liked the smoother look though. Modern Vettes have gotten so big, they look kind of odd with that tiny ragtop. But more beautiful than ever when the top is down!

Last edited by ZL-1; 12-15-2015 at 03:00 PM.
gurneyeagle (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 03:20 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

But we have a TARGA top now which is inexpensive, does the same thing and still make the car look good.... so every coupe is in essence a hardtop convertible..... i've had both and the vert has a convenience factor that is better, but close to the same net effect.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:31 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
But we have a TARGA top now which is inexpensive, does the same thing and still make the car look good.... so every coupe is in essence a hardtop convertible..... i've had both and the vert has a convenience factor that is better, but close to the same net effect.
The C3's and C4's were Targas, yet a hardtop was available for the convertible.

What I like about the C1/C2/C3/C4 removable hardtop is the different roof profile when compared to the Targa/fastback. I really liked the C5 Z06 for the same reason. The hardtop also offered more security than a soft top.

All great points made on why it's not offered, and I appreciate all the detailed answers as it's fun to learn new things. The sealing issues was something I never thought about.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lancekl
Wish they would offer a retractable hard top convertible. If Miata can do it Chevy should be able to.
I have an 09 Caddy XLR retractable.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
The C3's and C4's were Targas, yet a hardtop was available for the convertible.

What I like about the C1/C2/C3/C4 removable hardtop is the different roof profile when compared to the Targa/fastback. I really liked the C5 Z06 for the same reason. The hardtop also offered more security than a soft top.

All great points made on why it's not offered, and I appreciate all the detailed answers as it's fun to learn new things. The sealing issues was something I never thought about.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Actually the C1 did not come as fastback, and the door design of the C2 made a targa not practical on the fastback coupe.

On the Corvette, both the soft top and the hardtop had the same sealing problems to the rear deck lid. Unlike a normal convertible that did not have a deck lid, the soft top was always secured at the rear on the normal convertible.

At the windshield, both the hardtop and the soft top had the same clamping design. Both the hardtop and the soft top had the same sealing to the door glass. On the hardtop, it used bolts to secure it to the deck lid whereas the soft top used over center clamps to secure the soft top to the deck lid. Also on the 1956 through 1960, the hardtop used three bolts, whereas the soft top only used two clamps. On the 61 an 62 the hardtop used two hold down bolts.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-15-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:51 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
35 mpg? yikes!

Mine is 30. So this is a serious query.
30 is correct. At 31 mine starts complaining for me to slow down.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I agree. Pain in the *** to remove and replace the hardtop on my 56. I like the looks 1000% better with the hardtop, so I leave it on 99% o the time.
Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Isn't the removable targa on the coupe essentially a removable hard top?!
Plus, the majority of guys who buy new Corvettes are a little older now and they'd throw their back out lifting the damn thing then sue the General for some malfeance.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:25 PM
douginkc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish they would offer a retractable hard top convertible. If Miata can do it Chevy should be able to.
I used to have a 2007 Cadillac XLR-v, it was based on the c6 platform and has a retractable hardtop. I was sure that GM would add that to the next corvette IE the C7, too bad they didn't was really nice setup.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Was there any particular reason why Chevy quit offering a removable hard top for the convertible?

Watching the Mecum Auction from Austin today, and several C2 convertibles have come across the block with their hard tops on. I've always liked the look of the C1, C2, C3, and C4 convertibles with the hard top.

Thanks!
If the aftermarket can do this for the C6, they can do it for the C7.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by calemasters
If the aftermarket can do this for the C6, they can do it for the C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Removable convertible hard top

Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Offered by several manufacturers for years.

Last edited by VETJAZZ; 12-16-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yes, the removable hardtop had it's drawbacks but a lot of them were also found on the soft top. As one that had experience with soft tops back in the 50's-60's I can say that the soft tops also leaked, were noisy, and were downright COLD in the winter.

The improvements in soft top technology, has made the old style removable hardtop obsolete. BUT, the built-in hardtops(first used by Ford in 1957 and now used by many manufacturers) are actually as good or even better than the soft tops of today.
You just jogged my memory for another reason the hardtops were purchase, as you hit the nail on the head. Corvette owners used their cars for daily drivers back then, and the soft tops did leak, noisy etc, and those hardtops did work as the cars were driven daily, keeping the heat inside.... so thanks for your input, as driving the car daily did play a role too....
Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
You just jogged my memory for another reason the hardtops were purchase, as you hit the nail on the head. Corvette owners used their cars for daily drivers back then, and the soft tops did leak, noisy etc, and those hardtops did work as the cars were driven daily, keeping the heat inside.... so thanks for your input, as driving the car daily did play a role too....
Old vert tops were one layer. Newer ones are multiple layers and much better insulated against both noise and cold. Mine was nice and comfy this morning on the interstate at 80 mph in 13 degree temps.

Yeah, I actually drive mine in the winter.

Quick Reply: Removable convertible hard top