Sponsored by:

Removable convertible hard top

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
You just jogged my memory for another reason the hardtops were purchase, as you hit the nail on the head. Corvette owners used their cars for daily drivers back then, and the soft tops did leak, noisy etc, and those hardtops did work as the cars were driven daily, keeping the heat inside.... so thanks for your input, as driving the car daily did play a role too....

This old photo should jog your memory. Here I am with my 57 Ford convertible(notice my "cool" custom white rolled and pleated interior) when I was in the Air Force.

I was stationed in Wichita, Kansas and the wind always is blowing. One day, it started snowing early morning and it was a dry fine powdery snow. When I got off work, there was not much snow on the ground(blown into drifts), but when I opened the door to my car, there was snow everywhere.

The following summer, I purchased a new 1964 Malibu SS hardtop, not a convertible.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-16-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
The C3's and C4's were Targas, yet a hardtop was available for the convertible.

What I like about the C1/C2/C3/C4 removable hardtop is the different roof profile when compared to the Targa/fastback. I really liked the C5 Z06 for the same reason. The hardtop also offered more security than a soft top.

All great points made on why it's not offered, and I appreciate all the detailed answers as it's fun to learn new things. The sealing issues was something I never thought about.

Thanks to all for your responses.
As stated, it is heavy and bulky but it sure does look nice.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

A removable hard convertible top would take away my worry of someone cutting the soft top especially on those trip far from home
Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
As stated, it is heavy and bulky but it sure does look nice.

I think it looks great.

What I find interesting is that a number of early C3 race cars were convertibles fitted with the hardtop.

I just see it as a nice alternative to the soft top in the winter or when you want a little more security.

I fully understand the weight/bulk issue as a neighbor once had an mid-80's Mercedes 500 SL and had a pulley set-up in the garage to remove and store the top.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I think it looks great.

What I find interesting is that a number of early C3 race cars were convertibles fitted with the hardtop.

I just see it as a nice alternative to the soft top in the winter or when you want a little more security.

I fully understand the weight/bulk issue as a neighbor once had an mid-80's Mercedes 500 SL and had a pulley set-up in the garage to remove and store the top.
It is quite a chore to get it out of the basement and on to the car.

My soft top is Haartz cloth and very durable. The hard top was a winter restoration project three years ago. Just for fun although it does look good.

James Garner campaigned C3 convertibles with hardtops on the road race circuit many moons ago.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk
A removable hard convertible top would take away my worry of someone cutting the soft top especially on those trip far from home
Yeah, I have some anxiety parking my car (especially overnight) away from my house due to this as well.

I haven't really seen any posts about anyone's C7 tops being cut?
You'd need a pretty heavy-duty knife to cut through all the layers of cloth fabric.
Even if they did that, they couldn't open the door using the electronic push button.
Although the thief may not realize this until *after* they cut the top.

To get in, they'd have to know about the emergency release lever on the floor to open the door. And most thieves aren't that knowledgeable.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I have never worried too much about this type of break-in. Most newer convertibles have tops similar to ours with many layers of fabric, so I think the thieves know this, and at best, it's awkward and time-consuming. *knock wood!*

I'm more worried about a rock and a window. Smash and grab is more likely than most other types of break-ins, IMO.

The most important thing you can do to deter this kind of thing, besides parking in a well-lit area, is NEVER leave anything visible in the car overnight. Even to the point of wiping off the suction cup marks from the RD (or nav system).
Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 282 Posts

Default Removable hardtop

I asked the GM / Corvette group guys some years back at Carlisle why the removable hardtop wasn't offered and the response was simple.... lack of interest by the marketplace. Not enough people were interested in one as an option to invest in the development of one. My last four have been new 'ragtops'. I would also have bought a removable hardtop if one was available from the factory just to have one, but it would likely have just taken up space in the garage.... so I guess they are right.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Wolfie
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 66 vert with a removable hardtop. What I liked about it was it changed the appearance and look of the car. The top was heavy and you wouldn't want to take it on and off regularly. The tops have changed so much now with multi layers of fabric that I would not want one for my C7.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

To play the devils advocate: too much extra weight and would take up extra space in an already crowded trunk.

Also, Why do it if the vert is selling well?

Originally Posted by lancekl
Wish they would offer a retractable hard top convertible. If Miata can do it Chevy should be able to.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Yeah, I have some anxiety parking my car (especially overnight) away from my house due to this as well.

I haven't really seen any posts about anyone's C7 tops being cut?
You'd need a pretty heavy-duty knife to cut through all the layers of cloth fabric.
Even if they did that, they couldn't open the door using the electronic push button.
Although the thief may not realize this until *after* they cut the top.

To get in, they'd have to know about the emergency release lever on the floor to open the door. And most thieves aren't that knowledgeable.
Had my system on with window open put my hand in the car pulled the hood hatch open will set it off. So if on & you do anything on the inside by what happen to me will set it off.. Robert
Old 12-17-2015, 05:23 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robert miller
Had my system on with window open put my hand in the car pulled the hood hatch open will set it off. So if on & you do anything on the inside by what happen to me will set it off.. Robert
True, but the alarm probably won't go off as they are cutting the top. It will trigger only once they put their hand inside of the cabin.

Hope that none of us has this happen!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crawfish333
To play the devils advocate: too much extra weight and would take up extra space in an already crowded trunk.

Also, Why do it if the vert is selling well?
Convertible sales are relatively small......
In 2015 GM built 20,757 Stingray Coupes which accounted for 60.6% of Corvette production. The Z06 Coupe was second with 6,980 built for a 20.4% share. The Corvette Stingray Convertible’s production was 4,830 for 14.1% and finally the Corvette Z06 Convertible total was 1,673 for 4.9%.

There are ways to design it so it doesn't take up much space.
Look at how McLaren designed theirs - only adds 88 lbs.

Last edited by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego; 12-17-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

A thought I had about cutting the top. Might be some merit to doing it for the sake of vandalism, but if you wanna steal stuff out of my car, it's much quicker to break the window. Not sure I'll ever really worry about the top getting vandalized by someone. If they're gonna trash the car they do it whether it's a coupe or vert...
Old 12-18-2015, 02:58 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
A thought I had about cutting the top. Might be some merit to doing it for the sake of vandalism, but if you wanna steal stuff out of my car, it's much quicker to break the window. Not sure I'll ever really worry about the top getting vandalized by someone. If they're gonna trash the car they do it whether it's a coupe or vert...
Good point. Window is probably easier than all the layers of the top.
And the fact that we don't have a physical door lock that they can just pull up hopefully is a deterrent.

This video is crazy- can't believe he did this during BROAD DAYLIGHT

Quick Reply: Removable convertible hard top