Sponsored by:

Black paint defects

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:09 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Black paint defects

So last week I found something odd in my paint of my 16 C7 while prepping the car to get detailed. My detailer and I looked closely and found that it was uneven spray. The whole car has it and at first is hard to see but with an LED flashlight (not your phone light) it is very obvious. We first noticed it on the trunk lid pillars if you can call it that. Then realized its on every crease of the car. I took it in to the dealership today and they had me go to their body shop of choice and they confirmed that the car was not properly painted. There was even an insurance adjuster from Mercury there who said "oh another one. That's very common with these cars in that color".

Well that's great. Now I have to wait two weeks for a GM rep to come out and have them take a look at it so they authorize me getting a new car. I don't want it repainted because it's not going to look as good according to the repair guy. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'm just too picky but we all paid a pretty penny for the car.

You can see some weird spots. According to the collision guy that's under the clear and needs to be sanded down completely and resprayed.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:40 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

You are fortunate. Seriously, at least you have the dealership supporting you and GM has agreed to take a look. That is much more than many of the rest of us who have complained about OP and various other paint defects from the factory.

In my case, GM turned their back on me so I had to spend my own dime for wet sanding/paint correction. Guess what the reason the GM rep gave me for denying my claim....my car was no worse than any of the others on the lots of the dealerships he visited. Yeah hell, what do you expect for $70,000+??????
Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Well it's more like the service advisors are on my side. The GM and service manager were not very happy and tried to give me the run around.

If they deny my claim I will sue. It's not something that can be fixed by wet sanding or else I would've already done it. It's literally thin paint.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Dads dream
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I gotta know how this goes!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:39 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dads dream
I gotta know how this goes!
I will keep you all updated. These are going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life lol.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 12-29-2015, 05:50 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by IELAC7
So last week I found something odd in my paint of my 16 C7 while prepping the car to get detailed. My detailer and I looked closely and found that it was uneven spray. The whole car has it and at first is hard to see but with an LED flashlight (not your phone light) it is very obvious. We first noticed it on the trunk lid pillars if you can call it that. Then realized its on every crease of the car. I took it in to the dealership today and they had me go to their body shop of choice and they confirmed that the car was not properly painted. There was even an insurance adjuster from Mercury there who said "oh another one. That's very common with these cars in that color".

Well that's great. Now I have to wait two weeks for a GM rep to come out and have them take a look at it so they authorize me getting a new car. I don't want it repainted because it's not going to look as good according to the repair guy. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'm just too picky but we all paid a pretty penny for the car.

You can see some weird spots. According to the collision guy that's under the clear and needs to be sanded down completely and resprayed.
they will blow you off...at best they will have the bodyshop work on it ... and some will still defend GM for this ....
if this is the lack of quality work you see on the paint ...lets try to imagine what is lurking in the engine .. tranny .. etc..
Old 12-29-2015, 05:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Sorry to read about your problem but didn't you inspect the car upon delivery? Spilt milk at this point but I'll typically take 45-60 minutes inspecting a new car before signing. If the issue is that hard to see, I doubt GM is going to give you a new car without a fight.

Suing may sound like a good idea but trust me, you're better off trying to let GM resolve it. A legal battle will take a long time and cost big $$. GM may offer a repaint but I doubt you're getting a new car.

Good luck and I hope you're able to work it out to your satisfaction.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Well it looks like you have a real problem and GM recognized this as well. I would almost go with the re_ paint In blk who know what you will get a repaint will be much beter take it from the restorer I once was.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:04 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Sorry to read about your problem but didn't you inspect the car upon delivery? Spilt milk at this point but I'll typically take 45-60 minutes inspecting a new car before signing. If the issue is that hard to see, I doubt GM is going to give you a new car without a fight.

Suing may sound like a good idea but trust me, you're better off trying to let GM resolve it. A legal battle will take a long time and cost big $$. GM may offer a repaint but I doubt you're getting a new car.

Good luck and I hope you're able to work it out to your satisfaction.
good points ... I took an expert with me ...at least I was aware of ALL the flaws prior to handing over the check ....

GM knows the paint is bad ... they just dont care ...new car will not happen ... you will be lucky if they do anything but **** you off...
Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, if you have the car repainted by a good shop it will look much better than anything coming out of the factory.

I'm having my 14 repainted (crystal red) because I'm doing a Z06 body kit on it. The paint will be like glass compared to the factory paint and it will probably have 4 times the clear coat than from the factory.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,366 Likes on 14,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Motohead279
Actually, if you have the car repainted by a good shop it will look much better than anything coming out of the factory.
I would be really surprised if GM offered you a new car when a paint job by a really good shop will look amazing.

Anyway, best of luck getting it resolved and let us know what happens.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 12-29-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,431 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I would be really surprised if GM offered you a new car when a paint job by a really good shop will look amazing.

Anyway, best of luck getting it resolved and let us know what happens.
^^^ This^^^ New car unlikely. A reputable painter could make your car look way better than any GM robotic spray booth- with a durable clear coat that you could actually touch without scratching.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
good points ... I took an expert with me ...at least I was aware of ALL the flaws prior to handing over the check ....

GM knows the paint is bad ... they just dont care ...new car will not happen ... you will be lucky if they do anything but **** you off...
Just don't say the word "lawyer" to anyone in GM or they will cut off all communication. Try everything you can to work with GM. If you don't get anywhere, then talk to a lawyer even if still working with GM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,117 Likes on 754 Posts

When you meet with GM make sure you take the collision guy with you. As other have mentioned, a new paint job will be way better than the paint job on another new black C-7.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Understand your frustration and appreciate you standing up for what is right. Lot of folks would just ride on. You may not get total satisfaction in resolution but pointing out poor quality control to GM helps us all in the long run.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I went through the same issue with my new Black 2015 C7. I notified my dealer immediately when I noticed how easily the car scratched. I was three days in when I called GM and they opened up a claim for me. I went back and forth for several weeks and 100's of emails. I gave them a statement from two body shops and a very qualified detail shop re: the thin and soft clear coat which scratched when the wind blew. I couldn't even have it sanded and corrected, no one would touch it. After several weeks GM said its up to factory standards and there is nothing they can do for me. My dealership did give me
$ 500.00 towards a paint correction. 65K and that's the best they would do. I almost traded in the car but I'm absolutely in love with it so I bit the bullet and had the entire car wrapped with a clear bra. The car looks good but not like a really nice deep black car should look like, but at least I'm protected now and $ 4,000.00 lighter in the wallet. Good luck with GM, I would love to see you do better than I did which was poor.

Get notified of new replies

To Black paint defects

Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 PM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdarc1
I went through the same issue with my new Black 2015 C7. I notified my dealer immediately when I noticed how easily the car scratched. I was three days in when I called GM and they opened up a claim for me. I went back and forth for several weeks and 100's of emails. I gave them a statement from two body shops and a very qualified detail shop re: the thin and soft clear coat which scratched when the wind blew. I couldn't even have it sanded and corrected, no one would touch it. After several weeks GM said its up to factory standards and there is nothing they can do for me. My dealership did give me
$ 500.00 towards a paint correction. 65K and that's the best they would do. I almost traded in the car but I'm absolutely in love with it so I bit the bullet and had the entire car wrapped with a clear bra. The car looks good but not like a really nice deep black car should look like, but at least I'm protected now and $ 4,000.00 lighter in the wallet. Good luck with GM, I would love to see you do better than I did which was poor.
As a side note, I was so passed I started the thread here " whos unhappy with their paint job"
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Sorry to have to tell you this.
If you have a really good eye for detail, the only time you will be happy with black car, any black car, no matter who painted it, will the first few days after take it home. The dark of night, will be what keeps you coming back for more, and that magic can last a long time.
A black sports car is like a gorgeous prostitute, you know you shouldn't go there, but it's hard to resist.
IMO
Old 12-30-2015, 08:22 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

As I posted on another thread WTH happened to the paint system at BG? My early (1st day build) C7 has great paint and there were very few complaints by us '14 owners-it seems the quality of the paint went down with the '15's and has continued to slide. We're all aware there is a new paint facility in the works, but that doesn't offer much for current owners who have received marginal paint and those who are anticipating their cars being built and wondering what they will encounter. If there is a major issue that cannot be corrected with the existing equipment I suppose that's what will be the production standard until the new system is in place. It would be costly to shut down production due to paint quality, but to keep producing an inferior product is not in GM's favor either. It appears that the problem areas are the body panels themselves, and not the F/R fascias or the painted roofs. Glad I got mine when I did, and will hold off on a new one until the new system is in place. I don't want to upgrade the model year and downgrade the paint job...

Quick Reply: Black paint defects