Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming a C7 key fob

Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 PM
bdstrak

Default Programming a C7 key fob

I have acquired a new key fob to replace a lost one for my 2014 convertible. I have attempted, per the manual (2-6), multiple times to program the new fob using a recognized transmitter. Each time I get to step 9, pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button with the new transmitter in the steering column pocket, the DIC never displays READY FOR REMOTE #4 or 5. The DIC continues to display step 7, READY FOR REMOTE #3 or 4 and then times out. I don't want to use the procedure for programming without a recognized transmitter because this procedure will wipe the program in my only good transmitter. Does anyone have an alternative method to program a new key fob? Appreciate your help.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If you want the new RKE to be #2 and have the memory function, you will need to do the long program and erase the memory of RKE #1 and start over. The First RKE inserted in the long program becomes #1 RKE and the 2nd becomes #2 RKE.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

There is no other option to make #2 RKE. Those instructions in that thread are very precise. Maybe they will help you add your RKE as #3 (no seat/DIC memory function).

Elmer
Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,394 Posts

I thought the OP was saying that it doesn't allow him to finish programming #3, that it times out instead of programming #3.

bdstrak: is this correct?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 AM
bdstrak

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
If you want the new RKE to be #2 and have the memory function, you will need to do the long program and erase the memory of RKE #1 and start over. The First RKE inserted in the long program becomes #1 RKE and the 2nd becomes #2 RKE.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

There is no other option to make #2 RKE. Those instructions in that thread are very precise. Maybe they will help you add your RKE as #3 (no seat/DIC memory function).

Elmer
My objective is not to force the RKE to be #2 but just to get it programmed. It can be #3 or #4 for all I care. However, you may be correct that I have to start from scratch with both RKEs. Your option is still on the table. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 AM
bdstrak

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I thought the OP was saying that it doesn't allow him to finish programming #3, that it times out instead of programming #3.

bdstrak: is this correct?
You are correct. The DIC stays on READY FOR REMOTE #3 and never states READY FOR REMOTE #4 after I press the ENGINE START/STOP button. When I press UNLOCK to complete the process, it does not UNLOCK, LOCK, or open the trunk.
The reprogramming of both RKEs is still an option.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,394 Posts

Immediately, after getting this far in the programming steps, does the known (old working) fob work correctly? I don't mean hours after, but right away.

Did the new fob come with a key? If so, which one does it look like?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bdstrak View Post
My objective is not to force the RKE to be #2 but just to get it programmed. It can be #3 or #4 for all I care. However, you may be correct that I have to start from scratch with both RKEs. Your option is still on the table. Thanks for your input.
Understood, you want #3. I only pointed to that decision table as it has many items to make sure you do or don't do while you are making the #3. Interference, RKE to close, not close enough, whatever.

Keep at it, you'll get it.

Elmer
Old 01-15-2016, 10:25 PM
bdstrak

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
Immediately, after getting this far in the programming steps, does the known (old working) fob work correctly? I don't mean hours after, but right away.

Did the new fob come with a key? If so, which one does it look like?

After a programming attempt, the old/original RKE works perfectly. It locks, unlocks, remotely starts. I have not attempted to lower the top but assume it would.
The new, used RKE came with a key like the one on the lift. I have a new, uncut key expected to be delivered tomorrow. I plan to take it and ownership proof to my dealer so it can be sent out to be cut IAW my VIN.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 PM
Bencher
CF Senior Member

Are you positive the new FOB is the same part # and frequency as the old FOB?

Last edited by Bencher; 01-15-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 AM
bdstrak

Originally Posted by Bencher View Post
Are you positive the new FOB is the same part # and frequency as the old FOB?
The original RKE is GM #22816266. The new/used RKE is also GM #22816266. Both PNs are confirmed by markings on the inside of the case. Given that, I have to assume they operate on the same frequency. Is there a way to identify it's operating frequency? My new uncut key is GM #25962393.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

Sorry to dig up an old post and I may have to start a new thread, but figured I'd just pose here, since I can't find an answer to save my life. It's probably buried under all the "how to set memory seat" posts/google results.

My issue is that, while I know how to set memory seats and my fobs work for starting the car, they don't see to be associated to either # position for memory seats. The easy exit works. When I turn the car off and open the door, it goes to the exit position. When I turn the car on, it doesn't move from the exit position. I just traded a 2016 stingray for a 2016 Z06 and I had no issues in the stingray. Whenever I'd stary the stingray, an info message would pop up and say "you are Driver 1 (or 2, if other fob) for memory position". I get no such message in the Z06, so I think that's the issue (and yes, I have auto memory recall on). Is there a way to set a WORKING fob to have a driver #? Do I have to completely reprogram it?

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-19-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Toddiesel View Post
Sorry to dig up an old post and I may have to start a new thread, but figured I'd just pose here, since I can't find an answer to save my life. It's probably buried under all the "how to set memory seat" posts/google results.

My issue is that, while I know how to set memory seats and my fobs work for starting the car, they don't see to be associated to either # position for memory seats. The easy exit works. When I turn the car off and open the door, it goes to the exit position. When I turn the car on, it doesn't move from the exit position. I just traded a 2016 stingray for a 2016 Z06 and I had no issues in the stingray. Whenever I'd stary the stingray, an info message would pop up and say "you are Driver 1 (or 2, if other fob) for memory position". I get no such message in the Z06, so I think that's the issue (and yes, I have auto memory recall on). Is there a way to set a WORKING fob to have a driver #? Do I have to completely reprogram it?
There isn't really a difference in the FOBs. The stuff you set for "1" FOB is retained for that FOB as long as you press "Set" and then the number 1 until you hear a beep. When you set #2 FOB, do the settings you want and then press "Set" and the #2 until you hear a beep. Set each FOB without the other FOB present in the car. As far as messages, I can't help you as I have the 14'. Did you get 2 FOBs with the car? Only 1 FOB and you added a FOB?

Remember, the programming is in the car, not the FOB. The car differentiates the FOB and knows which is which when you do the "set" + number thing.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-19-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

There isn't really a difference in the FOBs. The stuff you set for "1" FOB is retained for that FOB as long as you press "Set" and then the number 1 until you hear a beep. When you set #2 FOB, do the settings you want and then press "Set" and the #2 until you hear a beep. Set each FOB without the other FOB present in the car. As far as messages, I can't help you as I have the 14'. Did you get 2 FOBs with the car? Only 1 FOB and you added a FOB?

Remember, the programming is in the car, not the FOB. The car differentiates the FOB and knows which is which when you do the "set" + number thing.
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't solve my issue. How do I get the car to say "ok this is fob 1" and move my seat to set 1 when i start the car?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

First...

Did you get 2 FOBs with the car?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

First...

Did you get 2 FOBs with the car?
Yes. Neither one gives me a "you are Driver X for memory feature" message, and neither one activate set 1 or set 2 (i made them both the same). I have to manually hold the 1 or 2 button to get the seat to go to those positions.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:09 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Toddiesel View Post
Yes. Neither one gives me a "you are Driver X for memory feature" message, and neither one activate set 1 or set 2 (i made them both the same). I have to manually hold the 1 or 2 button to get the seat to go to those positions.
Did you do this:
Auto Memory Recall
This feature automatically recalls
the current driverís previously stored
1 or 2 button positions when
entering the vehicle. See Memory
Seats 0 58.
Select Off or On
The Following User Says Thank You to eboggs_jkvl For This Useful Post:
Red Ryder (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

Oh and btw, I have set memory positions with both fobs in the car before with no issues on my stingray
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

Did you do this:
Auto Memory Recall
This feature automatically recalls
the current driverís previously stored
1 or 2 button positions when
entering the vehicle. See Memory
Seats 0 58.
Select Off or On
Yes. I mentioned that in my original post
Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Well, the manual memory seat function is working. Are we talking A8 or M7?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

Well, the manual memory seat function is working. Are we talking A8 or M7?
It's a manual. And yes, I suppose it works in that it moves back for the easy exit, and if i hold 1 or 2, it does go to those presets, but it's not working in terms of me getting in the car, pressing start, and having the seat go to preset 1 or 2, like it should with auto memory recall turned on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programming a C7 key fob

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: