Sponsored by:

Convertibles: Why not more popular?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Not as safe, lets more dirt into the interior, more easily vandalized, costs more, don't look as good, more complex mechanism to break down, and on and on....
There are some things about this issue that are objectively true and some that are subjective, but nonetheless valid. If you don't like convertibles, that's subjective, but there's nothing wrong with that. That's what "The customer is always right." means. It doesn't mean the customer gets to be abusive toward the worker. It simply means the customer knows what he wants to buy, so if you don't have it, he will go elsewhere. Fair enough.

not as safe
Marginally, but objectively true. If you are in a roll over, it would be easier to be hurt, but if you are in a roll over, chances are you were driving in an insane manner, too. It's a matter of acceptable risk.

let's more dirt in
Objectively probably true, but so does opening a window and it's counterbalanced by the joy of an open top, which is subjective. And frankly, is there that much MORE dirt that's going to infect your car? Won't dirt on your shoes be a lot more prevalent? The excess dirt allowed by a vert is probably not objectively measurable.

more easily vandalized
Not objectively true, as per testimony here. You can get keyed as easily as someone can go to the considerable trouble of breaking through the top.

costs more
Objectively true. So does a 3LT over a 1LT and a Z51 over a non-Z. When you're paying $70K plus for a car is $4K really important to you?

don't look as good
Subjectively true if you say so and completely valid.

more complex mechanism to break down
Objectively true, however there is only one additional mechanism, the Top Up/Down feature. Given the plethora of "things that can break" it doesn't seem particularly relevant that the convertible has one additional mechanism which is particularly cool to those who like it.

and on and on
Not responsive. Meaningless.

I'd add a couple of my own. Trunk space, for example, is much less in the convertible. That is an objective truth that matters to me, but maybe not to you. And living near Seattle that top is not going to be down as much as if I lived in California.

If you don't like convertibles, you don't like them. That's a perfectly reasonable stance to take. But some of the objections we've heard here are really quite minor and sometimes completely untrue. None of them are sufficient to overcome those who believe the joys of a convertible outweigh these inconveniences.
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
AdventurePoser (02-28-2016), Len44 (02-28-2016), Steve_R (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
There are some things about this issue that are objectively true and some that are subjective, but nonetheless valid. If you don't like convertibles, that's subjective, but there's nothing wrong with that. That's what "The customer is always right." means. It doesn't mean the customer gets to be abusive toward the worker. It simply means the customer knows what he wants to buy, so if you don't have it, he will go elsewhere. Fair enough.

Marginally, but objectively true. If you are in a roll over, it would be easier to be hurt, but if you are in a roll over, chances are you were driving in an insane manner, too. It's a matter of acceptable risk.

Objectively probably true, but so does opening a window and it's counterbalanced by the joy of an open top, which is subjective. And frankly, is there that much MORE dirt that's going to infect your car? Won't dirt on your shoes be a lot more prevalent? The excess dirt allowed by a vert is probably not objectively measurable.

Not objectively true, as per testimony here. You can get keyed as easily as someone can go to the considerable trouble of breaking through the top.

Objectively true. So does a 3LT over a 1LT and a Z51 over a non-Z. When you're paying $70K plus for a car is $4K really important to you?

Subjectively true if you say so and completely valid.

Objectively true, however there is only one additional mechanism, the Top Up/Down feature. Given the plethora of "things that can break" it doesn't seem particularly relevant that the convertible has one additional mechanism which is particularly cool to those who like it.

Not responsive. Meaningless.

I'd add a couple of my own. Trunk space, for example, is much less in the convertible. That is an objective truth that matters to me, but maybe not to you. And living near Seattle that top is not going to be down as much as if I lived in California.

If you don't like convertibles, you don't like them. That's a perfectly reasonable stance to take. But some of the objections we've heard here are really quite minor and sometimes completely untrue. None of them are sufficient to overcome those who believe the joys of a convertible outweigh these inconveniences.
How dare you let the facts get in the way! Logic is no fun. Come on! Let's get back to baseless opinions and conclusions.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I bet if we had a poll on what forum members own a coupe or a convertible it would be about even not like the general public that are not on this forum.Corvette Forum members are smart people that's why so many own convertibles!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

The reason there are more coupes sold is because they're the better choice overall.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:00 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I wanted to comment on the security of the vert. If I decide to break into a car, I'm not gonna slice the roof and climb in. I'm going through the side window. If you own a vert , you have probably marveled at how strong the roof feels. I'd wager you can't even get through it in a reasonable amount of time.

There are five or six layers, and heaven knows how many ribs. I'm not even sure you could get a hole big enough to put your arm in before your knife gets dull; I don't think climbing in is even possible.

If I were a thief, I'd just smash a window, so coupe or vert, this is the same.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I've never cared for verts...of any make/model. I sunburn easily, so riding around without a top isn't for me. If I do want the feel of a vert for a short drive, I can remove the top on my coupe. The lines of the coupe look a lot better in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I don't think the issue is being "scared" of anything, but more your belligerent attitude. Why would you accuse anyone of being "scared," for example? And you think coupes are "boring." That's a pretty immature and unnecessary attitude to take. Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:27 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I made it through all 14 pages!
It's gotta be red, and it's gotta be a vert. At least to be in my garage.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Thread Killer!

My new handle.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:58 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Check the rear brake vent. It's hawt.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Made you look!
The following users liked this post:
Dollartree (02-29-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Originally Posted by jimmymac25
Made you look!
Me!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:03 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

You know it's true, Girlfriend.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Mwah!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Stunning!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 1776DAVE
IMHO the convertible c7 and convert c6 look a lot alike
I LIKE convertibles but the coupe looks like a European exotic were as the convertible does not. And in white with dark glass and trim its looks are dramatically enhanced. But wdik - what do I know
my first vette was a 76 white L 88 coupe with T-tops,,,, I couldn't afford a convertible vette then.
The 1976 Corvette wasn't offered in a convertible, so it wasn't even available. And as far as a 1976 Corvette "L88??" I seriously doubt that was available for the 1976 model year either. Doesn't sound right to me......
If Corvette had the L88 427 c.i. In 1976 - I'd of bought one......
Old 02-26-2016, 11:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

I'd pay more for the coupe, which makes me wonder why the convertible is a lot more $$! ?

I wonder if the convertibles were more $$$ than the coupes in the C2s, in say 1966/67??

The coupes of the C2 era seem to have less prevalence today. I hardly ever see C2 coupes.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-26-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertibles: Why not more popular?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cheech wizard
there's proof the passenger seat can hold...3!
lol!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I'd pay more for the coupe, which makes me wonder why the convertible is a lot more $$! ?

I wonder if the convertibles were more $$$ than the coupes in the C2s, in say 1966/67??

The coupes of the C2 era seem to have less prevalence today. I hardly ever see C2 coupes.
I hardly ever see C2s, at all. Can't say that I've ever noticed the ratio of coupes to convertibles, and taken notes.

As to why recent era Verts are more pricey, most likely due to extra mechanisms and parts, which are more complicated and expensive to produce and install.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:49 PM
stanstiles
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Convertible LOVER!!!!

First off, the guy with the comment including "douchebag", should not be allowed to comment on this forum. Because you don't like something isn't reason for those sorts of comments about those who do. I also would say that to call someone else a douchebag, one most likely is very aware of the attributes of one, if you know what I mean.

Now, I personally will not buy a coupe. I have had convertible 'Vettes forever and I just love them. And I live in Oregon! It really all depends on personal preference. I now have a '15 TR Stingray and it's just an awesome car. Previously had an '11 TR Grand Sport, both convertibles. Granted, you have to have weather cooperation for maximum enjoyment, but man when that you power that top down, it just doesn't get any better. As far as my wife's hair getting mussed up........she wears her Stingray hat!

Why can't we all just voice our opinions and keep the personal snipes out of it. We drive the most beautiful cars on the road, and top or no top, we're the luckiest people around!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by stanstiles:
AdventurePoser (02-28-2016), Crunch527 (03-02-2016), Len44 (02-28-2016), orwollma (02-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Convertibles: Why not more popular?