Sponsored by:

The C7 Corvette is every other supercar's nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 01:38 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
It is only a problem if a person has issues with simple reality. Yes it should be good, it should be absolutely phenomenal in every way compared to the Stingray. Do you really think that a car costing $150,000 vs $70,000 should just have a little more of this and that?

That all depends on the buyer. If you just look at performance, cars like Ferrari or Porsche are a complete joke for the price. I bet a Z06 will even be more fun to drive over a Lamborghini at times.

If you value other things, like exclusivity, build, exotic style engines etc... then they are worth the price.

My point is that just because the corvette can put down performance numbers of higher priced cars, doesn't mean those cars or there drivers fear corvettes.

I got a friend who just bought a aston martin V8 vantage that cost MORE than a loaded Z06. He values owning a car that drivers well nice, fast enough fro the road, and has major exclusivity when compared to a corvette.

I love my corvette, its been sitting all winter. I have been watching videos of corvettes for the past month. I think the corvette for the price is the best sports car money can buy. If i had real money, i would have a corvette sitting next to my ferrari.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:55 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
That all depends on the buyer. If you just look at performance, cars like Ferrari or Porsche are a complete joke for the price. I bet a Z06 will even be more fun to drive over a Lamborghini at times.

If you value other things, like exclusivity, build, exotic style engines etc... then they are worth the price.

My point is that just because the corvette can put down performance numbers of higher priced cars, doesn't mean those cars or there drivers fear corvettes.

I got a friend who just bought a aston martin V8 vantage that cost MORE than a loaded Z06. He values owning a car that drivers well nice, fast enough fro the road, and has major exclusivity when compared to a corvette.

I love my corvette, its been sitting all winter. I have been watching videos of corvettes for the past month. I think the corvette for the price is the best sports car money can buy. If i had real money, i would have a corvette sitting next to my ferrari.
Unfortunately your friend appears to be attempting to validate himself with a car that he perceives as possessing some degree of "exclusivity". That is as sad as it is laughable.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:05 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Bump.
This is getting good.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by big red one
well i wouldn't mind the McLaren in the advert

Great commercial! It makes you want to buy the C7. Also, I saw a McLaren up close and personal today in Sea Girt, NJ. It was wrapped in the Orange color GM just cancelled. Black accents, wheels, yellow caliphers, etc. Looked bad AZZ.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 PM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

What a great spot! This is good ....but I liked the space ship one better! Sure would like to see more comercials for the vette especially one for the Z51!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:44 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by 1776DAVE
What a great spot! This is good ....but I liked the space ship one better! Sure would like to see more comercials for the vette especially one for the Z51!
Do you have a link? All I can get is Star Wars stuff. Apparently there is a Star Wars "corvette" space ship.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Great new Vette, took them long enough. The Camaro in 09 The vette in 11 is when the latest it should have launched. The Mustang in 05. Five years ahead!Chevy quit sleepin. Glad to see they didn't wait to long for the Grand sport

Last edited by yellowmnm; 03-05-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:01 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

This subject is getting a little worn out.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:43 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by vettlvr66

I love my Vette, but my gt3 is better in every aspect. .

Beautiful car. Now that that's been said... may I introduce you to the Porsche forums?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:28 AM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Kinda cheesy.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vettlvr66

I love my Vette, but my gt3 is better in every aspect. .

Not big on Porsche styling, but that is one good lookin car...
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by pjitty
Not big on Porsche styling, but that is one good lookin car...
Have you ever seen what has to be done on those 911s to just change an air filter? The entire back end of the car has to be disassembled including body panels and a medley of other layers. This process has been painfully referred to as "peeling an onion" by techs in this field. Not sure if many would consider this an engineering masterpiece at that point. Superior engineering results in simplicity not the complicated abortions that these cars have morphed into. Service is regular and no day at the beach when you are being bent over at $100/hour. Take a gander into the service department of your nearest Porsche retailer and you will likely see half a dozen or more 911s with the engines out of them. How'd ya like to get that bill?

The devil is in the details with these cars.

Last edited by punky; 03-06-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:06 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I look at it simply as:
Performance (very broad category)
Ride quality
Interior quality (material quality, fit, finish, etc)
Amenities
Exterior quality (fit , paint quality, wheels, etc)
Reliability

If two cars are in the same category, call it sports car, the one that costs 2x as much should be better in at least 4/6 categories. For example:
Vantage vs Stingray
Vantage needs to absolutely win on ride quality, interior, exterior, amenities.

That would be an oversimplified way of comparing it. Problem is, like you said, the human mind values exclusivity over almost anything else.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:43 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I wonder how many of those who don't agree the C7 is a super car would feel that way if GM charged $150K for one and there were only one tenth the total produced to date.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

its really a shame that the car market is so focused on numbers and performance. Its like if a Z06 or Z51 can keep up with cars that cost way more than, then those cars now suck.

I will keep buying corvettes, but if i had the money i think i would be driving a ferrari.
As tight as I am I almost didn't buy the C7.I can afford A Ferrari.I can't justify putting out that kind of money for 4 wheels.Maybe an airplane.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:47 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I've been driving Corvettes off and on since 1962, have amassed more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes over the years. I've also owned a host of other cars over the years including Porsches - 300K miles in P-cars.... I have a '15 C7 sitting in my carport that has almost 24,000 miles on it in 14 months..... but my daily driver is a 328 GTB Ferrari.

If performance is what makes a supercar then my old F-car is long in the tooth and weak of legs.... but for sheer delight in ownership and driving... the old beast wins hands down.

If I were forced to have to choose between the two cars the little car with the prancing horse would remain in my carport and the Vette would be gone. Fortunately I don't have to choose and can enjoy each one.... car guys - real car guys - just like cars.
The following users liked this post:
yellowmnm (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

For me, the term "super car" identifies more than just a car with top speed numbers. A super car to me is extravagance on every level from purchase price to performance, amenities (or lack there of depending upon intended use), and visual appeal. As commented above, placing a price tag of 150k and limiting the number of cars produced will still not make the C7 a super car in my eyes. When I think of "super car", I think of something along the lines of this:

Last edited by -HAIRBALL-; 03-06-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The C7 Corvette is every other supercar's nightmare

Old 03-06-2016, 11:10 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It's funny to me when someone tries to use the price argument after they're the ones throwing around the words supercar and C7 in the same sentence. If you don't want your C7 to be compared to a $150k supercar.... Well, stop comparing your C7 to a supercar.

I do agree that the C7 is a performance bargain but pretty much lacks every other aspect of a supercar.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The Stingray is not a supercar, it's a great car but not a supercar. It definitely can hang with cars costing twice as much in EVERY performance aspect, even surpassing some but it's a high performance car that almost every working man or woman can afford.

Last edited by themonk; 03-07-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL-
For me, the term "super car" identifies more than just a car with top speed numbers. A super car to me is extravagance on every level from purchase price to performance, amenities (or lack there of depending upon intended use), and visual appeal. As commented above, placing a price tag of 150k and limiting the number of cars produced will still not make the C7 a super car in my eyes. When I think of "super car", I think of something along the lines of this:

OMG! That has to be the ugliest car ever built. That thing makes a Viper look good.

Quick Reply: The C7 Corvette is every other supercar's nightmare