Sponsored by:

Euro spec differences from US

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Euro spec differences from US

Haven't seen this but likely it has been asked about. Sorry in advance.

When I toured the factory the host mentioned the only difference between US C7s and Euro bound models were headlight washers and rear view mirror turn signals.

My question is - why not put these on all vettes?
I have both on my Volvo S60 and signals on my A4 - not on my C7.

Has anyone else asked about this and know the logic for not putting these two items on our US spec C7s?

Popular Reply

07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 632 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
OK I am sure a bunch of those bullet points are ********, wonder what else the salesman sold you on. "tour and sport modes tuned for nurburging" hmm kay.

Thanks for that ignorant and unsolicited comment. You win the white socks and sandal award for July.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:41 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,762 Likes on 6,721 Posts

Wonder if the rear view mirror refers to the convex one they are allowed to have in Europe on the drivers side that is not allowed by an old federal spec in the US? As I recall the US federal spec says a car must have one outside mirror that shows cars as they actually appear or some such words.

RE, why not for US, we all keep our cars so clean so don't need headlight washers! Our BMW X5 SUV built in SC does not have headlight washers! I'm sure that is also why the Vettes don't have them, cost!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-08-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 AM
PJay
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a few, small differences in the EU instrument cluster, too (330 mph analog speedo, different markings on fuel and temp gauge, different parking brake icon), Also, I'm pretty sure EU cars don't have Pandora or Weather options in MyLink.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-08-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:02 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Big difference in the side mirrors. Lots more glass and they look to be far more functional. Would love to get a set but it has been pretty hard to find them. Although i found the side mirror glass to be rather small, i did get used to them quickly, I believe they also have the turn signals imbedded into them as well, if i recall correctly.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:15 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ So the lack of outside rear view mirror signals may be aesthetics or aerodynamics (?) - the larger glass required in the Euro market but not in US.

That is speculation - as stated I have a Volvo and Audi and the mirrors are the same size as any US built/domestic.

I don't buy the "cost" argument from one responder - putting washers and turn signals on 35,000 units is far cheaper per unit than in about 1,000 euro only.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-08-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:27 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman
I don't buy the "cost" argument from one responder - putting washers and turn signals on 35,000 units is far cheaper per unit than in about 1,000 euro only.
It may be cheaper per unit. But even if they get the unit cost way down, it's cheaper to do 1000 than to do 35000. And since they are worthless and ugly, I'm glad they didn't add them to 34,000 additional cars just to make assembly slightly easier...
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-03-2020)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 PM
big red one
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I can help as ive bought mine from Germany in April, when i asked Chevy Europe what the difference was between usa models and EU models this is what they said:-

· 3 years / 100,000 km warranty
· 6 years warranty on corrosion
· 1 year of roadside assistance
· Standard Z51 Performance Pack
· Standard Performance Exhaust System (increases the output of 5hp)
· Standard Performance Traction Management (5 mode Traction Control system, similar to the one used on race cars. Stability Control System available on 3 of the 5 modes)
· Rear Fog Lamps
· Driver Info, Radio, Navigation with European language package
· European Audio System (European frequency, TMC and Digital Audio System DAB/DAB+/DMB-R)
· European Navigation System
· Standard Up-level Anti-Theft System
· Euro 5 homologation with lower CO2 emission rate (Default Driver Mode is set to Eco)
· Standard Magnetic Suspension with specific European calibration
· (Tour and Sport Mode are tuned for speed and handling e. g. German Autobahns and tracks such as the Nürburgring)
· Headlamps and rear lights to meet ECE homologation. Standard front headlamp washers
· Instrument panel and driver info use Metric system
· Front and rear tow hooks
· European specific noise calibration
· European regulatory compliance and labeling
· Rear cargo restraint system to meet ECE homologation
· Outside rear view mirrors with integrated side indicators to meet ECE homologation
· Electronic steering system with specific European calibration
· (more precise on center feel and specifically tuned for high speed)
· Standard Electronic steering column lock​​
The following 4 users liked this post by big red one:
Benwish (07-08-2016), blkvet6 (05-25-2020), JerryU (09-03-2017), Me2d (10-23-2019)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:00 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by big red one
I can help as ive bought mine from Germany in April, when i asked Chevy Europe what the difference was between usa models and EU models this is what they said:-

· 3 years / 100,000 km warranty
· 6 years warranty on corrosion
· 1 year of roadside assistance
· Standard Z51 Performance Pack
· Standard Performance Exhaust System (increases the output of 5hp)
· Standard Performance Traction Management (5 mode Traction Control system, similar to the one used on race cars. Stability Control System available on 3 of the 5 modes)
· Rear Fog Lamps
· Driver Info, Radio, Navigation with European language package
· European Audio System (European frequency, TMC and Digital Audio System DAB/DAB+/DMB-R)
· European Navigation System
· Standard Up-level Anti-Theft System
· Euro 5 homologation with lower CO2 emission rate (Default Driver Mode is set to Eco)
· Standard Magnetic Suspension with specific European calibration
· (Tour and Sport Mode are tuned for speed and handling e. g. German Autobahns and tracks such as the Nürburgring)
· Headlamps and rear lights to meet ECE homologation. Standard front headlamp washers
· Instrument panel and driver info use Metric system
· Front and rear tow hooks
· European specific noise calibration
· European regulatory compliance and labeling
· Rear cargo restraint system to meet ECE homologation
· Outside rear view mirrors with integrated side indicators to meet ECE homologation
· Electronic steering system with specific European calibration
· (more precise on center feel and specifically tuned for high speed)
· Standard Electronic steering column lock​​
OK I am sure a bunch of those bullet points are ********, wonder what else the salesman sold you on. "tour and sport modes tuned for nurburging" hmm kay.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 632 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa

Thanks for that ignorant and unsolicited comment. You win the white socks and sandal award for July.
The following 10 users liked this post by gurneyeagle:
AWOL (07-10-2016), Bayshore Vette (01-18-2022), blkvet6 (05-25-2020), Corgidog1 (12-15-2019), Glennm27 (05-24-2020), Harris (12-15-2019), JerryU (09-03-2017), MosEspa (05-16-2024), Pablotheartist (03-03-2020), Steve_R (07-08-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 939 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
People just don't get with SW nowadays you can customize many things in the car. Wouldn't surprise me to see ROW (Rest of World) cars have a more EU centric tune (as driving outside NA tends to be more EU like).
Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 AM
Rodney Holley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys,can one Buy those Door mirrors with the integrated side indicators for the 2016 Stingray ? Love to get those door mirrors with the turn signals in the body !
Thanks for any help guys ,Rod (USA)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:19 AM
Rodney Holley
4th Gear

Default door mirrors

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
Big difference in the side mirrors. Lots more glass and they look to be far more functional. Would love to get a set but it has been pretty hard to find them. Although i found the side mirror glass to be rather small, i did get used to them quickly, I believe they also have the turn signals imbedded into them as well, if i recall correctly.
Love to get those door mirrors with the indicators in them that they have in the european edition !
Thanks for any help,ROD
Old 09-03-2017, 10:32 AM
big red one
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney Holley
Love to get those door mirrors with the indicators in them that they have in the european edition !
Thanks for any help,ROD
Hi Rod

These export models are made in the Bowling green factory so i cant see why you cant find them over there, otherwise if you wanted a set i would have to ship them from the USA then back to you, sounds crazy right

ian
Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 AM
gogmgo
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree with our German forum participant. The European car manufacturers specifically tune their cars for US roads and, for example, specifically lower the top speed from 250 km/h to somewhere around 210 km/h - the reason? They don't want to be sued by our litigious ambulance chasers and it allows them to install less expensive lower speed rated tires. If you don't believe me walk in to any BMW. MB or Audi dealership and ask them what the top speed is of the car(s).

So it makes perfect sense that when Chevrolet sells UNECE-homologated Corvettes in Europe they tune them for consistent high-speed driving. That is why the Z51 package is standard - they need the higher cooling capacity - I know this because I took a US C6 to Germany ten years ago and took it out for a high speed run at 5am on an sultry August morning and after running it for 20 mins at speeds above 250 km/h my overheating engine light came on and it told me to lower my speed. We don't enjoy these conditions in the USA so Chevrolet does not over-engineer the car for the USA the way they need to in Europe.

Furthermore, I owned a UK Mini when I lived in Blighty and at exactly the same time my mother in CT also bought the identical Mini - the only difference was the steering wheel was on the left side and not the right. But I can tell you that the suspension system on the UK Mini was much more pliant than the US Mini and they told me that the US Mini was tuned for US roads! And I told them that therefore it should have been much softer since the roads in CT and the NE are atrocious - but the poor salesman did not know what to say.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:34 AM
gogmgo
Intermediate

Hi PJAy I know this is an old posting but I just read it. You do have sharp eyesight. The EU IP like all IPs outside the USA are in metric and furthermore the UN / EU requirements are for all instrument icons to be just that - icons. The US's FMVSS still uses English rather than icons. Firstly because they somehow do not realize or care that millions of tourists land on our shores every year and rent cars and might not know that BRAKE is English for the handbrake. Secondly because they must also think that American drivers and stupid and incapable of learning new iconology. They, like everyone else outside the USA, is used to the icon that represents that function. And in the USA we use the icon for driver's airbag with a '1' next to it and the rest of the world has the exact same icon with a '2' next to it to denote the passenger side airbag. But not in the USA - we actually say PASSENGER AIRBAG ON/OFF. And many of our fuel gages have an F for Full and an E for empty - the rest of the world uses an icon to denote a full tank and an empty tank - but we expect foreigners to know that F and E are full and empty. Americans always complain when they go to Italy and turn on the 'C' faucet and get scalded because they think C stands for cold when in fact it stands for 'caldo' or hot. Less of an issue than running out of fuel because the Azerbaijani is not familiar with our dated terminology
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Old thread but interesting read given the C8 will be a world car. I like the concept of side turn signals but the euro spec side mirrors are fugly.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:48 AM
gogmgo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Old thread but interesting read given the C8 will be a world car. I like the concept of side turn signals but the euro spec side mirrors are fugly.
Hi Maxpowers - The C5/C6 & C7 were also sold globally - or as Chevrolet likes to say all the time - they build world-class cars that you rarely see anywhere outside of North America. I suppose it is like the World Series of Baseball - played and watched only in NA. But yes for the first time the C8 will also be sold in RHD because Mustang embarrassed the hell out of GM's corporate brass by selling 15k Mustangs in Europe including a big slug in the UK, Irelan, Malta, and Cyrpus to say nothing of Oz, NZ, Malaysia, Singapore and HK.

80% of Porsche's production is sold outside of its own country, but only 5% of Corvette's production is sold outside of North America. And this is a problem because as the avg age of the Corvette buyer gets older he also disappears and Corvette has not been able to grab the younger cognitive elite that lusts after Corvette and McLarens and Teslas.

Personally I prefer the larger mirrors - aesthetically they give the Corvette a more purposeful stance but I suppose you have to see them to understand - and in North America they are not available.

Get notified of new replies

To Euro spec differences from US

Old 03-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,841 Posts

^^^
Thanks for the correction. I meant to say a true world car with RHD.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:07 AM
gogmgo
Intermediate

[QUOTE=big red o
These export models are made in the Bowling green factory so i cant see why you cant find them over there, otherwise if you wanted a set i would have to ship them from the USA then back to you, sounds crazy right

ian[/QUOTE]
Hi Rod & Ian - GM is very very strict on not allowing US Chevy dealers to order any parts that are for UNECE cars - so fog lights, headlamp washers, and of course the larger rear view mirrors with the incorporated turn signals. I have 3 dealers around the world that I have ordered non-US parts from for my Cadillacs and Corvettes - works fine.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:52 PM
NewC7corvette
Cruising

i saw a video on youtube that showing the c7 has power folding mirror.

Quick Reply: Euro spec differences from US