Sponsored by:

Help me choose please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:58 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Default Help me choose please

Moving to c7 i hope soon, my budget is not huge for a zo6, so not sure what i can swing. 1lt, z51 or gs, i like the gs, but huge here, z51 is what i have now and that would be nice again, or just a 1 or 2lt base. Any onput would be appreciated. Was thinking c6 gs, ruled that out, may as well keep my z51 3lt.

Tia
Old 08-28-2016, 07:05 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

You'll get 50 million different pieces of advice, so I'll start...go with a 2LT Z51...that's what I did and love it. If you are in love with the wide body (I'm not) go with the GS.
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 07:10 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

A comparable C7 GS to a 2LT z51 is about a 5k difference. If it was me and the other 5k isn't a problem I'd go with that GS with out a doubt. I'm happy with my 2LT z51. If I was going to go with a NA car for track use I'd spend the extra for a GS.

However I'm pretty bummed they don't have Laguna Blue for the GS. Bad choice GM

Last edited by CDH76; 08-28-2016 at 07:11 PM.
walleyejack (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 07:14 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

I am coming from a 2009 Coupe, LT1 Z51. I just bought a 2016 Coupe LT1. Magnetic Selective Ride Control, NPP Exhaust, 8-Speed Paddle Shift Automatic, Carbon Flash pkg, + some other stuff I didn't need, but was on the car.

I choose a 'base' Stingray over a Z51 after a long thread where I asked about the Z51, and one poster said the regular Stingray outperformed his '09 Z51.

I haven't tracked my '09 in the years I've owned it, and the twisties and cloverleafs I love driving don't challenge the wet sump system.

So, my decision was to buy a less expensive 'Vette that I could still have fun in.
-> It's lighter than a Z51 or Grand Sport.
-> It's simpler & cheaper to change oil in a wet sump, and as noted, I don't track the car anyway.
-> The A8 is a fantastic tranny, and I'm having some left knee problems anyway.
-> MSRC + Carbon flash gives it the wheels & aggressive look of the Z51.
And the final kicker, it came with that model year end closeout Bonus Tag incentive from GM for a limited number of cars, that lead to a smoking hot deal.

Hope This Helps!
walleyejack (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 07:44 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I am coming from a 2009 Coupe, LT1 Z51. I just bought a 2016 Coupe LT1. Magnetic Selective Ride Control, NPP Exhaust, 8-Speed Paddle Shift Automatic, Carbon Flash pkg, + some other stuff I didn't need, but was on the car.

I choose a 'base' Stingray over a Z51 after a long thread where I asked about the Z51, and one poster said the regular Stingray outperformed his '09 Z51.

I haven't tracked my '09 in the years I've owned it, and the twisties and cloverleafs I love driving don't challenge the wet sump system.

So, my decision was to buy a less expensive 'Vette that I could still have fun in.
-> It's lighter than a Z51 or Grand Sport.
-> It's simpler & cheaper to change oil in a wet sump, and as noted, I don't track the car anyway.
-> The A8 is a fantastic tranny, and I'm having some left knee problems anyway.
-> MSRC + Carbon flash gives it the wheels & aggressive look of the Z51.
And the final kicker, it came with that model year end closeout Bonus Tag incentive from GM for a limited number of cars, that lead to a smoking hot deal.

Hope This Helps!
that helps a lot.i don t track, so dry sump is not necessary, i like that it is lighter, cheaper oil changes is definatley me, i like the twisties, i am manual kind of guy, i drove a gs auto, tranny is good, but not for me. i like the 2 lt tho as opposed to the 1, more seat adjustments, heated seats, memory, and few other things, hud is no biggie for me, as mine may be on or off, i neve look at it. heh.
thank you

what thread did you search may i ask

Last edited by walleyejack; 08-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
that helps a lot.i don t track, so dry sump is not necessary, i like that it is lighter, cheaper oil changes is definatley me, i like the twisties, i am manual kind of guy, i drove a gs auto, tranny is good, but not for me. i like the 2 lt tho as opposed to the 1, more seat adjustments, heated seats, memory, and few other things, hud is no biggie for me, as mine may be on or off, i neve look at it. heh.
thank you

what thread did you search may i ask
Here tis: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ol-vs-z51.html
walleyejack (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

You might study the 1LT, 2LT and 3LT features offered for C7 to see the goodies you like. Go to a dealer and ask them demonstrate the features. I had a C6 2011 Base car and enjoyed it. I now have a 2015 3LT Z51 which is a great car. If I were going to buy a C7 today it would be a 2LT,Z51 with MRC. I do not track but I wanted the larger wheels, bigger brakes, tires. and stronger suspension that comes with Z51. I favor the larger brakes to stop the 460 horses. MRC adds another level of handling control and is worth the $ IMO whether you track or not. I also like the HUD a lot and you need 2LT for that. Don't second guess yourself about not going for Z06 unless that kind of extreme power is your thing in which case fine. Non Z06 C7 is a beast and has more than enough power for most. The main thing is get what you want and don't settle even if that means you have to wait and save nickles for a while longer.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
You might study the 1LT, 2LT and 3LT features offered for C7 to see the goodies you like. Go to a dealer and ask them demonstrate the features. I had a C6 2011 Base car and enjoyed it. I now have a 2015 3LT Z51 which is a great car. If I were going to buy a C7 today it would be a 2LT,Z51 with MRC. I do not track but I wanted the larger wheels, bigger brakes, tires. and stronger suspension that comes with Z51. I favor the larger brakes to stop the 460 horses. MRC adds another level of handling control and is worth the $ IMO whether you track or not. I also like the HUD a lot and you need 2LT for that. Don't second guess yourself about not going for Z06 unless that kind of extreme power is your thing in which case fine. Non Z06 C7 is a beast and has more than enough power for most. The main thing is get what you want and don't settle even if that means you have to wait and save nickles for a while longer.
the magnetic selective ride control come with 19 and 20 wheels and z51 style spoiler. the stock wheels not 18 and 19
only reason i would want 2lt is for seat adjustments, and memory package, so no need of me wasting money on it.

Last edited by walleyejack; 08-28-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 PM
nhz51
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

the magnetic selective ride control come with 19 and 20 wheels and z51 style spoiler. the stock wheels not 18 and 19
only reason i would want 2lt is for seat adjustments, and memory package, so no need of me wasting money on it.
If you don't track, my thought would be a 2lt with Magride and NPP. The 2lt has many useable features like HUD, heater and cooled seats, memory seats, more seat color options, and a few others. The Magride gets you the nice forged z51 wheels without the brake dust. And the NPP give that nice sound. Not a ton of options, but options you use.
walleyejack (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 09:12 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nhz51
If you don't track, my thought would be a 2lt with Magride and NPP. The 2lt has many useable features like HUD, heater and cooled seats, memory seats, more seat color options, and a few others. The Magride gets you the nice forged z51 wheels without the brake dust. And the NPP give that nice sound. Not a ton of options, but options you use.
yes, the npp is a must, hud i have, and don t use, cooled seats, don t know, could be bogus, had a car out yesterday with cooled, noticed no difference, the mag ride for sure, get the bigger wheels and the bigger spoiler. i have my eye on the car, but no npp on it.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

You can use www.chevrolet.com to compare the trim levels which should help. Almost all of the differences will be in the interior of the car with the 2LT/3LT levels having more do-dads like heated/vented seats, HUD, etc. Good luck on your decision. After picking the trim level the hardest choice with be the color. These things look good in any color, and it was damn hard for me to pick a favorite.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-30-2016 at 01:43 PM.
walleyejack (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 01:56 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
You can use www.chevrolet.com to compare the trim levels which should help. Almost all of the differences will be in the interior of the car with the 2LT/3LT levels having more do-dads like heated/vented seats, HUD, etc. Good luck on your decision. After picking the trim level the hardest choice with be the color. These things look good in any color, and it was damn hard for me to pick a favorite.
thank you for your thoughts, i love the Shark Grey, but apparentely not available on 17 s
Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

thank you for your thoughts, i love the Shark Grey, but apparentely not available on 17 s
Yeah, colors come and go. I understand the Watkins Glen Gray is some darker, but I haven't seen it up close and personable.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:23 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

ok, my final queary, found 2 cars, much the same, 1lt, both have mag ride, and wheels, and z51 appearance package, 2nd car has sill plate, 270. who cares, log floor mats, 170 who cares, hud, who cares, but, has exhaust, i like. 2nd one is a 16, 1st is a 17. i don t need the stupid nav for $2k. just asking, for last thoughts, 1st guy wants 45 diff out the door, 2nd guy wants 49 out the door, he is out to lunch for sure, doesn t matter, just looking for thoughts on more options on a 16 or less on a 17, but, i need the exhaust and don t really want to do the aftermarket. btw, these are Canadain prices, doesn t matter is all relative. apples n apples.
tia Al
Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Silver Stingray
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Good thing commas don't cost money or you would be broke. My head hurts.

Anyway, get what you like and can afford. Opinions will be all over the board and most won't be right for you. The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your decision. Good luck!
walleyejack (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Silver Stingray
Good thing commas don't cost money or you would be broke. My head hurts.

Anyway, get what you like and can afford. Opinions will be all over the board and most won't be right for you. The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your decision. Good luck!
just thinking of value down the road, 16 vs 17

16 with a cpl more options.

Last edited by walleyejack; 09-04-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:14 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Looking for opinions on the best value betwen the 16 and 17.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM
B. Tate
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 16 ZO6. I live in Okla. but bought in Ohio. Many of the high volume Vette dealers are making really good deals on the 16's since the 17 GS was just released. That's by I bought when I did. I was very happy with the deal I got & the dealer I purchased from has had some outstanding deals in the last 3 weeks.
walleyejack (09-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Help me choose please

Quick Reply: Help me choose please