Sponsored by:

Winter storage, no plug-in available

Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Start it every 10-14 days let it run for 15 mins and you will be fine
Sorry, can't agree with that. 15 minutes isn't enough to both charge and help the engine. You need to actually drive the car and get all fluids up to operating temperature. Also, 30 - 40 minutes at minimum would be needed to adequately charge the battery. Probably closer to an hour.
Just unhook the negative terminal and charge in the spring.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Sorry, can't agree with that. 15 minutes isn't enough to both charge and help the engine. You need to actually drive the car and get all fluids up to operating temperature. Also, 30 - 40 minutes at minimum would be needed to adequately charge the battery. Probably closer to an hour.
Just unhook the negative terminal and charge in the spring.
I agree, I know a guy back in the 70s that had a 1969 tri-power and started it up for 15 minutes to let it warm up in the winter. A month later he tried to do it and the Pistons rusted tight to the cylinders. He traded it in, the GM dealer had to pound the Pistons out with a sludge hammer. That was during the gas shortage and the dealer had a hard time getting rid of it no one wanted a gas guzzler. I could have bought it for $1200 before they rebuilt it, if only I knew what they would be worth someday.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I had a "toy" that I only took to car shows. When it was in storage, I removed the battery, brought it home and put the battery on a maintainer. When I want to use the car, reinstalled the totally fully charged battery and drove the car away.

Elmer
Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

One thing to note if you do disconnect the battery is you have to "index" the windows by putting em down and back up. Convertible has a little procedure too. After you do the windows, you hold the vert button up till the windows roll down and it beeps. The second one took me a little while to figure out the first time I disconnected the batt. Not very clear in the manual.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:38 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 364 Likes on 214 Posts

get a battery jump starter with a 110 V output. Plug the battery tender into it. once a week or so recharge the battery tender. use a volt meter to check the car battery and jump start voltage.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:40 AM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I live here in VA - much farther south than NY, but still susceptible to significant snowfall. When I get my new C7 (which I hope to be ordering in December), it is going to be a 'garage queen' and in no way will I be tempted to drive it in any type of inclement weather.

As for the battery sitting during winter, I would recommend disconnecting the negative terminal if the car will be stationary awhile. Even in NY, you should still be able to drive it once every couple of weeks. Plenty of sunny (albet cold) days with no snow.

I wonder if the Corvette - with all of its electronic wizardry - drains the battery any faster than a "normal" car does when not driven for long periods of time.

Last edited by JK 23112; 09-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It's no worse than any other contemporary car. Even entry-level KIAs have a lot electronics these days. It's always been a problem with garage queens of all makes and models.

None of my cars are garage queens, and the C7 will be driven all winter in Maryland.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Disconnecting the negative cable is generally sufficient but the reason I recommended considering removing the battery in my earlier post is some people will be storing their vehicle for the entire winter in an unheated space. Even disconnected a battery will slowly self-discharge if not on a maintainer and this will also increase the temperature at which the electrolyte will freeze. If a battery does freeze and crack and it isn't discovered until Spring then the highly corrosive electrolyte will have made a large mess.

It isn't as much concern for a car that won't see well below freezing conditions in storage but if that is a possibility for your car then I would remove the battery.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I'd just make sure it's charged up, then disconnect the neg on the battery and not worry about it.
Being doing this for years takes all the worry about trickle charger or power failure. Only way to do it.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Start it every 10-14 days let it run for 15 mins and you will be fine
Wrong thing to do. Once in storage don't start the engine unless you plan on driving the car 15 to 20 miles to get it thoroughly warmed up. Idling just builds lots of condensation in places you don't want it.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter storage, no plug-in available