Sponsored by:

Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 04:42 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Delivery

it seens the online dealers have better prices than the local bozos here in Kansas MO. What do they charge for delivery? Also do I need to register it before I take possession?? So I will pay tax on a vehicle I haven't seen yet?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Shipping cost depends on distance. Taxes are handled differently by dealers, and the dealer will explain how they handle them. But, you pay your taxes in your state when you register the vehicle.

And the local dealer aren't really bozos. They just don't handle the volume of sales the large dealers handle, so they don't get the same incentives from GM.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 10-07-2016 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrun
it seens the online dealers have better prices than the local bozos here in Kansas MO. What do they charge for delivery? Also do I need to register it before I take possession?? So I will pay tax on a vehicle I haven't seen yet?
Since you live in Missouri, you send the agreed on amount of money to the out of state selling dealer. Then he has the car sent to you by a private transporter(say Intercity) and sends you the MSO on the vehicle.

Then you take the MSO to the closest license bureau and get a Missouri title and license plates and pay the Missouri(and county and city) sales tax.

The cost of the transporter depends on mileage from the selling dealer to Kansas City and whether you want an enclosed hauler or an open hauler.

Enclosed hauler is more expensive but better odds that the car will be delivered clean vs a open hauler where the old car sitting above yours may be leaking fluids, etc.

I've purchased several new cars(and used cars) from outside of Missouri and never had to deviate from the above. But, I have personally gone to the selling dealer and inspected the car before handing over a check.

Depending on the car(new or a vintage used Corvette), I either have it shipped via an enclosed hauler or I drive the car home after paying for it. I have never paid any taxes to an out of state dealer.

I doubt you will be buying a new Corvette from California, but if you do, you may have to pay sales tax to California(but Missouri will credit you up to the amount of Missouri sales tax).

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-07-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

You can have the car "delivered" in one of two ways:

1) Car ships to the selling dealer and he then sends it to you via transporter like Intercity.

2) Selling Dealer arranges for a Courtesy Delivery at a local dealer for a fee, most likely $300-500.

Really depends whether the selling dealer has your car in stock or needs to order one to your specs.

Best of luck
Old 10-10-2016, 02:35 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
You can have the car "delivered" in one of two ways:

1) Car ships to the selling dealer and he then sends it to you via transporter like Intercity.

2) Selling Dealer arranges for a Courtesy Delivery at a local dealer for a fee, most likely $300-500.

Really depends whether the selling dealer has your car in stock or needs to order one to your specs.

Best of luck
Yep.

And regarding "where do you pay taxes": It depends. Some states have agreements where you pay the tax in selling states; if not, you usually pay tax in the buying state. Also, you will pay the higher of the 2 amounts (whether selling or buying state has higher sales tax.)
Old 10-10-2016, 03:24 PM
ZP2016
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought My ordered 16 NRB vert in Blue Springs MO. I have bought many cars including 3 vettes from them over the years. I got what I thought was an awesome price. Could I have gotten a better price from the forum dealers, maybe/probably but I prefer to deal with my local dealer whom if you have a decent relationship works out great. I also talked to the dealer in Independence and he had decent pricing also. I just prefered the Blue Springs Dealer. But to Call the dealers Bozo's is not fair at all. With an attitude like that who would want to deal with you.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Local dealer

Bozo was a figure of speech from dealing with NY dealers when I lived in NY . Anyways I went to a dealer today and didn't test drive the car because I wasn't ready to buy. But the car is 60k minus 15% discount and I will link the car. I actually thought it was fair. I loves the z51 spoiler , So here it is,

http://www.mccarthychevyls.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=1G1YB2D73G5123152

now I don't think I can get the 0,% 72 months financing with this discount but he did say he will work with me so that's over 9k off the price of the without even sitting down. What do you guys think of this deal? It also had 16 miles on it. Same deal on a black one if i wanted. Only 2 on the lot.

http://www.mccarthychevyls.com/f_Win...YB2D73G5123152

Last edited by Gunrun; 10-10-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Url
Old 10-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

MacMulkin has cars at 20% off
Old 10-10-2016, 08:13 PM
KGS365
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

Default correct

the 0% 72 month is in lieu of the 20% discounts....i've been trying its one or the other but not both

Bozo was a figure of speech from dealing with NY dealers when I lived in NY . Anyways I went to a dealer today and didn't test drive the car because I wasn't ready to buy. But the car is 60k minus 15% discount and I will link the car. I actually thought it was fair. I loves the z51 spoiler , So here it is,

now I don't think I can get the 0,% 72 months financing with this discount but he did say he will work with me so that's over 9k off the price of the without even sitting down. What do you guys think of this deal? It also had 16 miles on it. Same deal on a black one if i wanted. Only 2 on the lot.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Texas1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

R
Originally Posted by KGS365
the 0% 72 month is in lieu of the 20% discounts....i've been trying its one or the other but not both
Check what rate you can get yourself on a loan. Try LightStream loans or something similar to check rates. Once you know your loan rate, do the math, calculate the total finance costs over the term of the loan. (Such as borrowing 65k at 4% =__ over 72 months). Once you know this amount of self financed, you have leverage to know what that “deal”er is offering you with a finance rate or a discount off MSRP. They will try to make money via finance rates and the car. Ask them their best price for a cash offer. That takes the finance game away from them. After you get that price, then find out if you did choose to finance there, what their finance rate is at that price. In the end, the best price is the cheapest sales price+finance costs over the life of the loan.
Same situation for me in Houston. I bought mine site unseen from MacMulkin and paid to ship via Intercity. The only hassle is having to get the local emissions tests and standing in line to pay local sales taxes to get the plates. Intercity and MacMulkin were great.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-27-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
The following users liked this post:
intercity lines (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:55 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

If you buy a car in Florida and live in Missouri, you will pay Florida sales tax to the dealer and they give you the documentation so Missouri will credit you with the tax paid to FL.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:45 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas1
R

Check what rate you can get yourself on a loan. Try LightStream loans or something similar to check rates. Once you know your loan rate, do the math, calculate the total finance costs over the term of the loan. (Such as borrowing 65k at 4% =__ over 72 months). Once you know this amount of self financed, you have leverage to know what that “deal”er is offering you with a finance rate or a discount off MSRP. They will try to make money via finance rates and the car. Ask them their best price for a cash offer. That takes the finance game away from them. After you get that price, then find out if you did choose to finance there, what their finance rate is at that price. In the end, the best price is the cheapest sales price+finance costs over the life of the loan.

Same situation for me in Houston. I bought mine site unseen from MacMulkin and paid to ship via Intercity. The only hassle is having to get the local emissions tests and standing in line to pay local sales taxes to get the plates. Intercity and MacMulkin were great.
Great advice, but likely a bit too late for the original posters...
Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Texas1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
Great advice, but likely a bit too late for the original posters...
I know....but chances are someone is in the market today and wondering the same so I figured I'd comment. Seems there are threads about buying out of state and finance questions often.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Since you live in Missouri, you send the agreed on amount of money to the out of state selling dealer. Then he has the car sent to you by a private transporter(say Intercity) and sends you the MSO on the vehicle.

Then you take the MSO to the closest license bureau and get a Missouri title and license plates and pay the Missouri(and county and city) sales tax.

The cost of the transporter depends on mileage from the selling dealer to Kansas City and whether you want an enclosed hauler or an open hauler.

Enclosed hauler is more expensive but better odds that the car will be delivered clean vs a open hauler where the old car sitting above yours may be leaking fluids, etc.

I've purchased several new cars(and used cars) from outside of Missouri and never had to deviate from the above. But, I have personally gone to the selling dealer and inspected the car before handing over a check.

Depending on the car(new or a vintage used Corvette), I either have it shipped via an enclosed hauler or I drive the car home after paying for it. I have never paid any taxes to an out of state dealer.

I doubt you will be buying a new Corvette from California, but if you do, you may have to pay sales tax to California(but Missouri will credit you up to the amount of Missouri sales tax).
Joe has the process described correctly - not a difficult process at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Delivery

Quick Reply: Delivery