Blurry HUD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

that looks pretty bad - if that dealer says that's normal, try another one

Last edited by SpeedUp; 11-30-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It's definitely not "normal." Mine, as well as all other cars are very sharp and clear. I suspect the projector itself is defective.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Yea definitely not normal. Mine is sharp and clear as well.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
that looks pretty bad - if that dealer says that's normal, try another one
The problem is simple: Chevrolet/GM quality hard at work. Since Mary Barra started at Quality Control, maybe she should be looking at her higher priced vehicles instead of letting subpar quality go out the door. That's my $0.02.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Are you especially tall or short?

When the HUD reflection bounces off the windshield, it does so in a location that is supposed to eliminate the double-vision that occurs with the multi-ply nature of windshields.

If, from a normal viewing angle, everything is wonky, then I'd say your windshield is defective.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 PM
springer-
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrnnr
Just so we know what I'm referring to I have a few sample pics below. This isn't my camera doing the blur at all although I realize it's a bit pixelated, that's from the zoom. This is what I actually see. Crouching way down in the seat will make it go away but my eyes are almost in line with the steering wheel.

Looking at the top of the hud window, it looks like there 'could' be tiny bubbles there from some sort of film, but I don't see anywhere to peel it off at all, and it's a long shot that that's what it is, that in itself might be a stretch.

I'll definitely show these pics to my dealer, but yeah, I got the "That's normal" response.

It's not blurry. Here is what is happening. When the HUD reflects off the windshield it reflects off the surfaces of the glass. In this case you are seeing one reflection off the inside surface (the bright reflection) and you are seeing a reflection off the outside surface (the dim one). The offset of the two reflections is the thickness off the glass of the windshield.

the HUD windshield tries to reflect only off the inside off the glass HOWEVER if the brightness of the display is up high then some of the light gets through to the outside surface and reflects. Try turning down the brightness level of the HUD and the dim reflection should go away or be minimalized.

An alternative method would be to buy a HUD reflective screen that you can add to your windshield that will reflect the display only on the inside surface however it is a piece of plastic film and you would then have to see it. Here is a link to an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Up-Disp...-/162015609084
Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 PM
roadrnnr
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by springer-
It's not blurry. Here is what is happening. When the HUD reflects off the windshield it reflects off the surfaces of the glass. In this case you are seeing one reflection off the inside surface (the bright reflection) and you are seeing a reflection off the outside surface (the dim one). The offset of the two reflections is the thickness off the glass of the windshield.

the HUD windshield tries to reflect only off the inside off the glass HOWEVER if the brightness of the display is up high then some of the light gets through to the outside surface and reflects. Try turning down the brightness level of the HUD and the dim reflection should go away or be minimalized.

An alternative method would be to buy a HUD reflective screen that you can add to your windshield that will reflect the display only on the inside surface however it is a piece of plastic film and you would then have to see it. Here is a link to an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Up-Disp...-/162015609084
Hmm but others are reporting that theirs is clear? Are you guys lowering your brightness? My brightness is full up.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:46 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

I definitely have never seen any double or blurry, and that's with the brightness all the way up.

Camera phone quality sucks, but I certainly have zero double vision.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrnnr
Hmm but others are reporting that theirs is clear? Are you guys lowering your brightness? My brightness is full up.
My brightness is full up and the display is very sharp and clear.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM
springer-
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
I definitely have never seen any double or blurry, and that's with the brightness all the way up.

Camera phone quality sucks, but I certainly have zero double vision.
Mine is way brighter than that.

Full brightness is too bright for me and shows double just like the picture. I turn it down a little and all is good. No one is twisting anyone's arm to try it. You can fight with GM over it and maybe get a new windshield or HUD after they tear your entire dash out. When all is said and done it will probably be no different.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

^It appears as bright as in the photos OP posted. Camera phone be camera phonin'.

edit: tried to take more pics, but its just too dark in my garage for my stupid phone to focus.

Name:  OhpuEQ3.png
Views: 34
Size:  254.7 KB

Last edited by joemosfet; 12-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:19 AM
roadrnnr
Advanced

Apologies for digging up this old thread, I've finally taken her out of hibernation and I wanted to update this.

It appears as though it's not just the HUD. I'm noticing now when I drive at night, LED taillights and streetlights give off a double image, almost like a "tracer". It's hard to explain but in doing some research I see that Tesla had this problem and it was a big one: https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-...double-vision/

I don't think that this same phenomenon is happening with the Vettes or we'd see a lot more posts about it, the Telsa forms have a 44 page thread about it: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...dshield.60997/

Could I have a defective windshield?

One more point to add, when I first bought the car I put on a heavy coat of Rain-X. I've tried to get it off with Windex and simple green to see if that would help, but either that wasn't the issue or I'm not stripping it off properly, does anyone know how to get off Rain-x?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:03 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Mines crystal clear.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
roadrnnr
Advanced

I took it to a 3rd dealership today. I showed them the pics as well as gave them a clear description of the "ghosting" i'm seeing at night with streetlights and brake lights. I also explained that it only appears on the upper half of the windshield, if I crouch down in the seat as low as I can go everything is crystal clear.

It took a couple of explanations, a pen and paper, 2 techs and about 30 minutes of my time, but they FINALLY have concluded that the windshield is defective. There's some layering inside the sheets that wasn't manufactured properly. Then they tell me there's a tech bulletin about it, just not for my year (2016). Funny how the other 2 dealerships just flagged it as "normal"!

Will see what happens when they replace the windshield. I'm definitely happy that they've come to a better conclusion than just "live with it"

Quick Reply: Blurry HUD?