Sponsored by:

AFM question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Ema Scema
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM question

New corvette owner, I've read a lot of threads on v4 to v8 mode, it's a corvette for heavens sake, don't we like power over gas mileage? Why did the Kentucky boys decide to go with mileage? I would pay the gas guzzler tax to eliminate the obtrusive v8 to v4 mode.
Don't know how many of U corvette owners agree with me, I'm sure some of you object to pay an extra $ 1500
gas tax on an already expensive car.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C7 Gen section.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Ema Scema
New corvette owner, I've read a lot of threads on v4 to v8 mode, it's a corvette for heavens sake, don't we like power over gas mileage? Why did the Kentucky boys decide to go with mileage? I would pay the gas guzzler tax to eliminate the obtrusive v8 to v4 mode.
Don't know how many of U corvette owners agree with me, I'm sure some of you object to pay an extra $ 1500
Could have accomplished your objective for "less" not more money! Should have bought an M7!

I have been in V4 mode less than 5 times in 3+ years, just to see what it's like! With an M7 it only comes in in ECO Mode. I drive in Sport 95+% of the time.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

First of all - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

This is a great place to get info and you can also rant about your concerns and problems. I look forward to your continued posts!

I don't agree - I have an M7, so didn't have to pay the gas guzzler tax. I believe only if you buy an A8 do you need to pay the tax.

I'm REAL happy that I didn't need to pay the gas guzzler tax!!!

It's not the Kentucky boys (or Michigan boys) that "decide to go with mileage" - it's the gubmint!!! Or, more specifically, the greenies in our society.

Don't blame a car manufacturer for trying to make more fuel efficient cars - rather blame the CAFE regulations the tree huggers shove up our.....

Take a look at info about the CAFE regs here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...e_Fuel_Economy

In there you can read about the requirements for a manufacturer to meet a certain mpg average for the fleet of vehicles they build - like the info below:

Fleet fuel economy is calculated using a harmonic mean, not a simple arithmetic mean (average) [5] – namely, the reciprocal of the average of the reciprocal values. For a fleet composed of four different kinds of vehicle A, B, C and D, produced in numbers nA, nB, nC and nD, with fuel economies fA, fB, fC and fD, the CAFE would be....(you can read the math on the site)
Bottom line - the AFM doesn't bother me. With my M7 LT4 I have a real hard time getting it to go into V4 mode - like JerryU said in his post above, the M7 needs to be in ECO mode, and I just don't drive in that mode. When trying to get it into V4, driving along at 60mph or above I just can't get it to go into V4. If I slow down to 55mph in 7th it still won't do it. If at 55 I downshift to 5th I can get it to go V4, but the mpg goes from 27 down to 26!?!? So, I don't find the AFM intrusive at all because it just doesn't do it in my car!! After trying to see how it worked and seeing that it's very difficult to get it to go into V4, I don't even worry about it in my car because I know it just doesn't do it!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-20-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added "First of all"
Old 11-20-2016, 10:45 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

A8 here. I agree AFM is an odd choice for a sports car . .. but, if AFM bugs you, you can either drive in Manual mode (which is pretty fun, by the way) or buy a disabler from Range Technologies and plug it in. Takes about 10 seconds to install! But first see if you even notice it . . . it's pretty well integrated.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:00 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I'm not too concerned about gas mileage, however, I wasn't thrilled about paying a gas guzzler tax on my previous GT500s. If you don't like AFM, you will not like the start-stop feature, which will probably be phased in at some point.

As mentioned, if it bothers you that much, get a M7... that's what I did and have yet noticed AFM. You can also disable it via tuning.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I have an A8 and it's much more enjoyable with the Range Technology AFM Disabler. I use a OBDII extension with on/off switch.
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
A8 here. I agree AFM is an odd choice for a sports car . .. but, if AFM bugs you, you can either drive in Manual mode (which is pretty fun, by the way) or buy a disabler from Range Technologies and plug it in. Takes about 10 seconds to install! But first see if you even notice it . . . it's pretty well integrated.
That's the ticket, and cheaper than trading for an M7. I went in with an open mind concerning the AFM, and found it doesn't really bother me. As Jon says it works pretty well, and most times I never notice the switch. A few times on the interstate at cruising speeds I have felt a little jitter when it switches back to V8 while going up an incline.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:42 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

So the A8's go into 4cyl mode even in sport? I have a M7, and didn't realize that. Wow.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Emerald Eagle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

I don’t quite understand the seemingly cavalier attitude about using more resources than necessary. AFM makes the C7 one of the most versatile Sports/GT car ever. You can go like jack the bear any time you want and then slip into “E” and 7th and cruise by little cars in greater comfort while using less fuel.
The following 4 users liked this post by Emerald Eagle:
BRussell (11-20-2016), egp (11-21-2016), joemessman (11-20-2016), Rebel Yell (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Emerald Eagle
I don’t quite understand the seemingly cavalier attitude about using more resources than necessary. AFM makes the C7 one of the most versatile Sports/GT car ever. You can go like jack the bear any time you want and then slip into “E” and 7th and cruise by little cars in greater comfort while using less fuel.
I hear what you're saying, but there are plenty of economy cars out there if you are so inclined. The car drives much better without AFM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:34 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Emerald Eagle
This is a real sore point for me: Mr "Inconvenient Truth" Al Gore flies around the world in his Grumman Gulfstream blowing three TONS of kerosene out the tailpipes in the first HOUR of flight on his way to some $10,000 a night resort to lecture the rest of us on the environment. The gall is unbelievable!

Just by coincidence I just received a text message from s friend in Lima, Peru. She saw Obama departing the airport in Air Force 1. She said his entourage had a total of 8 airplanes.

And they hey are worried about us driving a sports car or a Suburban?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-20-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-20-2016, 09:36 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have run into a problem with AFM on my 16Z with A8. I bought and installed one of the first Mild2Wild switches for the C7 this month. Installed it and hate it! Why? The most effective use of it is to put the car in Stealth in Settings and then the mufflers are either all on or all off. And in an A8 the car sounds terrible in V4 mode, which is low rpm local driving at low rpm. A lot of what we have to do in a city. I will try the ranger solution before I throw out the Mild2Wild switch.

Last edited by pkincy; 11-20-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
I have run into a problem with AFM on my 16Z with A8. I bought and installed one of the first Mild2Wild switches for the C7 this month. Installed it and hate it! Why? The most effective use of it is to put the car in Stealth in Settings and then the mufflers are either all on or all off. And in an A8 the car sounds terrible in V4 mode, which is low rpm local driving at low rpm. A lot of what we have to do in a city. I will try the ranger solution before I throw out the Mild2Wild switch.
FWIW I use both Range and Mild to Wild on my A8. Fun combo!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:36 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Am i wrong

Originally Posted by JonMN
FWIW I use both Range and Mild to Wild on my A8. Fun combo!
I understood that the "mild to wild switch" controlled the "NPP" valves not the AFM valves.
Interesting.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

You are correct but the sound unmuffled in V4 mode is terrible. Kinda like a Viper where you can only hear 5 cylinders on one side of the car. So the M2W is unusable at low rpm (at least to my ears) with an A8 due to the AFM causing V4 a lot.

No problem with an M7 as you just stay out of ECO mode.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:45 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
You are correct but the sound unmuffled in V4 mode is terrible. Kinda like a Viper where you can only hear 5 cylinders on one side of the car. So the M2W is unusable at low rpm (at least to my ears) with an A8 due to the AFM causing V4 a lot.

No problem with an M7 as you just stay out of ECO mode.
makes sense.

Get notified of new replies

To AFM question

Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
....I believe only if you buy an A8 do you need to pay the tax...
No C7 has a gas guzzler tax. The Automatic Z06s do.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:21 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I hear what you're saying, but there are plenty of economy cars out there if you are so inclined. The car drives much better without AFM.
In fact when I have used it to test the extra fuel economy in my 16 mile trip from town on a flat Interstate at best I got 2 mpg better in 7th at 70 mph. Perhaps because I don't have a torque converter I definitely felt the transition as a slight bog. Even on a slight incline it switches back to 8 cylinder.

Can't say I heard a significant difference. I drive in Sport, so NPP has the pipes closed for quite mode when cruising. I also always have my sound system playing "Oldies" from an SD card which drowns out the road and tire noise so perhaps I just don't hear the difference.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-20-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:30 AM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are a new owner, then go to Spring Mountain. They drive the A8's in the manual mode 100% of the time which eliminates the v4 mode. Since I attended, I drive my A8 in the manual mode all the time. Did not purchase a Vette for its gas mileage.

Quick Reply: AFM question