Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

These stripes suck fyi. Any mark or imperfection will not come out. They are not self healing. Either get them ceramic coated or covered with some type of clear protectant. I had mine shipped from Montana and the trucker jacked the stripes up and refuses to pay to fix them. So now I had to layout about $400 to replace 4 of the 6 pieces plus about $175 to have them removed and installed. Having the car ceramic coated right after I have the new stripes done.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Got some new painted engine parts back today.
- plenum cover painted carbon flash metallic with Jake skull airbrushed into it
- fuel rail covers
- lower coil covers in carbon flash metallic
- collectors edition fuse box cover
- 5 caps painted carbon flash metallic with tension blue lettering

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The following 3 users liked this post by VENOM ACR:
DWS44 (02-22-2018), eamespm (02-22-2018), Judgment Day (05-10-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 PM
JackSlice
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainears
I have clear Xpel on it (stealth film, so it stays satin black). There is a risk that if you peel the film off, the stripe will come with it. Not a certainty, but there is a risk. I don't think anyone would guarantee that it won't be damaged.

But I'll re-iterate my point on the stealth film. If you're looking to do a clear over it (Xpel type film), remember that the stripe is matte finished, if you put a gloss film over it then it will change the look of the stripe.
Thanks for that input! Do you know if the Xpel is the same strength as regular 3M or Avery vinyl? I more so want to wrap my stripe in a Gloss Black vinyl if possible just over our current satin stripe. I want more of a glossier finish =)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Not sure on the comparison between those other vendors. XPel is pretty heavily used in by folks in these forums. From what I've heard, and the advice I followed, was that they are all pretty similar. The key thing is finding a really kick but installer in your area and go with what they are comfortable using. Especially in this instance, if you're going to do something custom like that which could involve custom cutting. In my case, I used the standard gloss film over the whole car, except for the stripe which had to be custom cut in.

I think you have a few options.
  1. Cover the whole car in gloss paint protection film (PPF), that will bring a more glossy finish to the stripe
  2. cover the stripe in a gloss black stripe. But that is going to add thickness too...which to me could be concering, but you could do that and then put PPF over
  3. remove the factory stripes and replace with a gloss stripe, then PPF over
  4. remove the stripe and then paint a gloss black stripe, then PPF

I'm assuming PPF in all of them, of course do what you think is right there...

Personally, painting the stripes is the best way to go IMHO. If ever I have to pull my PPF and any of the stripes are damaged, I'm painting them on. That removes the edge that you get with the decal and gives a much more custom look.

If you're not into painting it at this point, I'd go with #1 or #3. You may want to talk to your preferred installer though first about #1 to see if you can get an idea as to if the gloss will be to your liking or not....
Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 AM
JackSlice
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks so much for your insight mountainears. I think I'm going to have to think about it for a little bit longer. But after I do it I'll definitely try and post some pictures!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM
GSdave
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, I heard they can interfere with the door a little. And I'm more worried about day to day use than car shows. XPel is much thinner, getting just a door sill done is pretty simple, in fact can probably just order that piece pre-cut from XPel and install yourself if one wanted to.
my xpel guy added the sills for free when I got my other areas done. It is not noticeable. Glad I got it done.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 AM
GSdave
Advanced

Default Flag overlays

Originally Posted by Russbruns
I will continue to make them as long as people want them.
Hi Russ. You opened a can of worms. Now that we are removing the red from the sills and the side vents I feel I want to overlap the red part of the flag in the front and back. Is this something you considered making? What do people think about this look also?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:24 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by GSdave

my xpel guy added the sills for free when I got my other areas done. It is not noticeable. Glad I got it done.
Did you have it covered in glossy or matte finish film? Have any pics of that area? Curious how it looks with the xpel.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Shaz27
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tension Blue Calipers

Is anybody here going to do the calipers tension blue? Im thinking about it but wouldnt have a clue where or who could do it.

Last edited by Shaz27; 02-22-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Shaz27
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Got some new painted engine parts back today.
- plenum cover painted carbon flash metallic with Jake skull airbrushed into it
- fuel rail covers
- lower coil covers in carbon flash metallic
- collectors edition fuse box cover
- 5 caps painted carbon flash metallic with tension blue lettering

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

looks awesome
The following users liked this post:
DavidCasavant (02-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:37 PM
GSdave
Advanced

Originally Posted by DWS44
Did you have it covered in glossy or matte finish film? Have any pics of that area? Curious how it looks with the xpel.
will try to get a pic tonight. I believe it was the same that they used on the car. I find it invisible. I didn’t know they had different kinds.
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:55 PM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaz27
Is anybody here going to do the calipers tension blue? Im thinking about it but wouldnt have a clue where or who could do it.
http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...sion-blue.html
Old 02-22-2018, 02:00 PM
quicksilver_43
Lifetine Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaz27
looks awesome
It looks GREAT!!!!! Is this a decal over paint or all paint?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quicksilver_43
It looks GREAT!!!!! Is this a decal over paint or all paint?
It was all airbrushed.

I purchased a used Vararam intake from a guy, I am having it send to Pete at showstoppers so he can paint it carbon flash metallic. Will look a lot better than the dull plain black plastic.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Shaz27
Intermediate

Thank you!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Shaz, there are some pictures in this thread of people that have done the calipers in blue....and Mike has a pic or two on his site too.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Shaz27
Intermediate

Shaz, there are some pictures in this thread of people that have done the calipers in blue....and Mike has a pic or two on his site too.
ok thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 PM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GSdave
Hi Russ. You opened a can of worms. Now that we are removing the red from the sills and the side vents I feel I want to overlap the red part of the flag in the front and back. Is this something you considered making? What do people think about this look also?
Here’s a video from a guy in England that made all the red on the car blue. It will give you an idea whether you want to do it or not. He’s a bit long winded, so around 5:30 is where they start doing the flag.

Last edited by CT Grand Sport CE; 02-22-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

How many 2017 Grand Sport Collector Edition owners are there on this forum? Post your information to be added to the registry!

When posting information about yours, please include:
Your city/state, series number. If you can post a picture of your car I'll add a link for that as well. If you purchased used, knowing what you paid for it will help us track depreciation, if you want to share privately please PM the information to me. And please check to see if there is any incorrect information about your vehicle that you'd like to share.

If you see used ones for sale, please post any info you can. The VIN on the windshield will identify the series number.

FAQ
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
  5. [*]
  6. [*]
  7. [*]
  8. [*]
  9. [*]
  10. [*]
  11. [*]

GM PRODUCTION NUMBERS
GM published production numbers after the 2017 model year production wrapped up. The registry spreadsheet (linked below) breaks down the numbers in a few more combinations if interested.

Instead of 1,000 total with 850 in the US market; 935 were made with 793 delivered in the US.

REGISTRY

I started listing all of them here in this post, including ones that I've found for sale at various dealers as it may be helpful for someone that is looking to purchase one of these to find a sequence number they want or specific options. The list though makes this original post a little long and it will only get longer. So I decided to put it into a Google Sheet that anyone should be able to view and comment on. If you need one added, post on this thread or enter a comment, this way I can control the formatting. Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the Google Sheet.

I've set up filters on the sheet so it can be sorted/viewed in different ways. Look for the filter icon up in the top left and it will give you some choices of views.

2017 Corvette Grand Sport Collectors Edition Registry (Link to Google Sheet)

Maps
There are a couple map views of the items on the list to give you an idea as to where these all are.

This is an interactive map using the data on another site where you can see the actual cities on a map, where we have that data.

Finally, there are a few maps of data that can be found in the Google Sheet on the Statistics page.

Video from 2016 Geneva AutoShow
Great that this registry is available to members of the forum. I have been a member for more than 10 years and am currently interested in purchasing a 2017 Collectors Edition Convertible new. I found the registry very impressive, but for some reason was not able to scroll down to see all the convertibles that were not yet sold. Grateful if you could help me to navigate the registry to locate convertibles that have not yet been sold. Many thanks .
Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 PM
GSdave
Advanced

Originally Posted by CT Grand Sport CE
Here’s a video from a guy in England that made all the red on the car blue. It will give you an idea whether you want to do it or not. He’s a bit long winded, so around 5:30 is where they start doing the flag.

https://youtu.be/tkE1K6UxR9Y
I like it. If you have enough demand I would buy those and the wheel caps. I saw that video when I first bought it but didn’t remember the wheel caps.

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread