Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 AM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Morgan Donaho
I am in the Houston area is best way to fly and pick one up or you think local dealer will move it to their dealer for me? Thoughts guys? Maybe some leads on looking for one. I’m using cars.com[/left]
Have you used the CE registry at the beginning of this thread to look for cars available for sale? A page back someone else looking to buy one asked about how to search the registry for cars for sale. Mountainears who started this thread & compiled all the data explained how to do it.

I don’t think a local dealer would trade to get a 2017 like nikeair said or pay for the shipping to their dealership without tacking the cost onto the bottom line? But you can always ask.

As for doing the deal yourself, I think if you find one and use one of the big transport companies, Intercity, Plycon, etc., that have very good reviews on the forum you should be ok? There are a lot of threads about shipping cars all across the country with info on good & bad shippers.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

Has anyone found a touch up paint for the interior? Just noticed I have a small mark and it's driving me nuts. I feel like I saw somewhere but can't remember someone finding a tension blue touch up.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Morgan Donaho
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042
I called 2 dealerships near me and neither would go get the car. It's a 2017 and told me trading for it wouldn't make sense with 2018's out (bought mine in November). I had to have mine shipped from Montana to NC. It was a nightmare because the shipper and the shipping broker both were pieces of sh*t and scratched up the stripes and no one wanted to pay for them. If you ship it, make sure its 100% hard shell enclosed. Mine was supposed to be enclosed but it was more like an open trailer with curtains on it. With the weather warming up, might be a nice ride back from wherever you buy it.

Thanks Im currently looking at one in Terryville, CT would be a pretty far drive to Houston area .
Old 02-26-2018, 11:30 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Hey, I drove mine from Bowling Green to California in February last year....go for it, fun times!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Coachwoot50
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger Thoughts?

Hey guys curious as to what everyone's thoughts are in regards to modifications on this car? I LOVE my collectors edition (especially the interior) but really wish I had more power. My dream would be this vehicle package with 650 to 700 HP. Being that this is a collectors edition is it generally understood that it should be left stock or are performance mods ok? I have thought of going to the Z06 but I really just love this color combo! Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 PM
banph
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Winner -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Coachwoot50
Hey guys curious as to what everyone's thoughts are in regards to modifications on this car? I LOVE my collectors edition (especially the interior) but really wish I had more power. My dream would be this vehicle package with 650 to 700 HP. Being that this is a collectors edition is it generally understood that it should be left stock or are performance mods ok? I have thought of going to the Z06 but I really just love this color combo! Any advice would be appreciated.
For what its worth, I would not stop doing anything to your Collectors Edition based on future value. New Corvettes today loose value over time. Collectors editions are NO exception
I agree, 650 to 700 Hp would make this a better driving machine. Todays SC can easily fit under the hood without changing the looks of the car and the increased HP would be exciting to have. I miss my 2008 Z06 vs my new 2017 CE. You can never have to much HP!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:03 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

IMHO the car being a CE doesn't really factor into it much...it's really just a name, it's not that rare and common thinking suggests value is not going to be impacted by that.

Modifications in general can impact value IMHO. As soon as you modify the car, it narrows the field of potential buyers to those that would be interested in your modifications (unless easily removed). Doing a supercharger or some other HP gains potentially narrows it more (again, not from a CE perspective, any Corvette).

Think of someone looking at purchasing a used Grand Sport that is totally stock with 18,000 miles compared to one that is otherwise identical but has had a supercharger put on it.... You have three types of buyers:
1) Looking for a supercharged grand sport, woohoo, solved, found my car, looks to be built well, I'm in.
2) Looking for a supercharged grand sport, but not so sure about how it was built, might have done something different, concerned maybe about how it was driven, or might want to build their own...
3) Looking for a grand sport, original owner car, hopefully not abused, no mods.

I'm guessing more of your potential buyers will be in that 2-3 category, not in the 1.

Not a huge deal of course, especially if you're not concerned about resale value at all and more about what you want to do with your car.

Opinions will be all over the place with this of course. I'm more of do what makes you feel good, it is your car, not the members of this forum or the person that buys it after you. I'd be inclined to do it after your factory and/or extended warranty goes out. And personally if I wanted more HP I'd be getting an engine that was built for that, or rebuild mine to handle it. Makes me nervous slapping a SC on a car that wasn't built for it. I'm also not tired of the HP either, I purposely have not gotten into a Z06 and don't plan on it, what I don't know won't tempt me. For what I'm doing with the car I have plenty of HP.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Mountainears...I think the majority of buyers are skeptical of bolt-on mods / changes. One never knows how it was built and in my opinion, the minute I see that someone has modified their car to "get more horsepower" I can't help but think it has had the bag run off of it in the process. Definitely wouldn't be high on my list to purchase used. If you're going to hang on to the car for a while and just want to have fun - not worried about resale, fly at 'er!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 PM
banph
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Winner -- Unmodified

If your worried about Warranty and still want to have HP, you can check with Calloway cars , Lingenfelter and Hennessy. I know that Calloway is a partner with GM and warranty is not void. Its just a matter of what you want. Some like original, others just need something that others don't have. A matter of personal choice.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Morgan Donaho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by banph
If your worried about Warranty and still want to have HP, you can check with Calloway cars , Lingenfelter and Hennessy. I know that Calloway is a partner with GM and warranty is not void. Its just a matter of what you want. Some like original, others just need something that others don't have. A matter of personal choice.

So Im finalizing the deal on on brand new #395 7 Speed Convertible with Comp Seats, Carbon Fiber Visible Ground Effects, Carbon Fiber Tonneau Inserts, No Z07.

Pretty excited to have 1/126 convertibles made and 1/27 of the the 7 speed. I swore I read some ware the comp seats in convertible was rare also was that the case?

So I am in Houston and 90% sure I am going to ship the car and advice from anyone on what company to use or NOT use?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

So Im finalizing the deal on on brand new #395 7 Speed Convertible with Comp Seats, Carbon Fiber Visible Ground Effects, Carbon Fiber Tonneau Inserts, No Z07.

Pretty excited to have 1/126 convertibles made and 1/27 of the the 7 speed. I swore I read some ware the comp seats in convertible was rare also was that the case?

So I am in Houston and 90% sure I am going to ship the car and advice from anyone on what company to use or NOT use?

Thanks in advance!
From my count there are 21 convertibles with the comp seats (I have one as well). If you want to see what options you have and how they compare, go to the first page of this forum. Mountainears put together a very extensive spreadsheet (about halfway down the first page) and there is a link to the Google spreadsheet. Just go to your VIN number and you can scroll across / up / down to compare. Congrats on your car, mine is a rare one too as GM only exported 11 converts into Canada and with my options, I have a "one of one" in Canada and one of three made at Bowling Green.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:51 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

The counts on the number of invoiced options, like Comp Seats, is not 100% accurate. The things like convertible/coupe counts, transmission counts, Z07 counts, that is accurate.

I'm hoping one day to make it back to the Corvette Museum and see if they will let me pull that data from the archives so I can get that 100% accurate.

With the data I do have, I'm showing 121 with Comp Seats in total. Of those, 23 are in verts and 6 of those verts are M7's.

InterCity Lines is someone I had quoting, but never used. They come highly recommended by various places, including NCM.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks in advance!
Congrats on the CE! Would have loved to go for an M7 CE Convertible, but just couldn't stretch the $$$ quite far enough.

For shipping I would recommend Intercity (good experience and excellent customer service!) and avoid "Reliable" (rough experience and non-existent customer service). I've used both, and in both cases, the car arrived in one piece, but the experiences were polar opposites. Strongly suggest enclosed transport unless you want your new car to arrive filthy dirty, and most would recommend you avoid brokers, as you never know what kind of mess you might end up with those situations. Do some searches out in C7 General, and you'll find several long threads on the subject. Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Do not use TD Auto Transport, your car will be damaged and they won't give 2 ***** about it.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Morgan Donaho
Intermediate

Default Cross Country Trip

Do not use TD Auto Transport, your car will be damaged and they won't give 2 ***** about it.

So my 7 year old son and I are flying from Houston to Hartford, CT on Friday and driving back. Whats your opinions on route to take? Looks like I have two options any thoughts. Should be fun 26 hour drive..
Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 PM
GSdave
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So my 7 year old son and I are flying from Houston to Hartford, CT on Friday and driving back. Whats your opinions on route to take? Looks like I have two options any thoughts. Should be fun 26 hour drive..
i don’t have a suggestion on the route but man will that be awesome for you and your son. I have a 7 yr old boy as well and am hoping to take him on a road trip this summer. My 4 year old will have to wait lol. I use a booster for him in the front seat. Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:02 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

110% take the route through Tennessee. The mountains through that way are awesome. You will have a blast. The other route takes you through charlotte. I live in charlotte. No need to drive through here, nothing to see. Other route is much more scenic.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:03 AM
3Rivers
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you've never been through Asheville, NC and up through the Smokeys, I'd highly recommend it if you have the time and if your route will allow you too. Have an awesome trip home with your son. Take lots of pics and get someone to take pictures of the two of you. Years from now you will look back on this and remember how special this time with him was. Thanks for being a good father to your son.

save the wave
Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

110% take the route through Tennessee. The mountains through that way are awesome. You will have a blast. The other route takes you through charlotte. I live in charlotte. No need to drive through here, nothing to see. Other route is much more scenic.
I'd probably agree. I do the run on 85 between Charlotte and Richmond several times a year, and that 5-6 hour stretch can be mind-numbing at times. Done the run between Charlotte and Atlanta a few times and its not the greatest either. Hitting Charlotte or Atlanta during rush hours would be even worse.

Oh...and either way you go, watch the speed through Virginia. They are ruthless.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 AM
DirkGT
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#179 in Germany!

After owning a 2010 Camaro, than a C7 MT, after that a C7 AT, I just bought my GS CE!

I live in Germany, where Camaros or even more Corvette are really rare...

Now I am still waiting for the car to be delivered, the blue dashboard surrounding ist changed to Alcantara, due the reflections. Hoping the saddler works fast, so I will get it soon....

BR Dirk

Last edited by DirkGT; 03-02-2018 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (03-02-2018)

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread