Sponsored by:

My Torch Red C7 is an Idiot Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Default Expect the unespected

Long ago, before I matured in the Army & VN, I had my first of four '63 SWC's and thought I owned the road. One day on the side road near home I rode the bumper of the car in front a little too close. He gradually slowed down in the lane, came to a stop in the lane, jumped out and chewed me out. Oh yeah, he also flipped his county police badge as he was speaking. Less than 2 years after Army I was in the Prince George's County Police Academy.

Another time Maryland State Police finally pulled me over in same car. According to him he had been behind me for quite a while with his overhead red light activated. Back in the day the red light on top was a little bit larger than a light bulb and I couldn't see it due to the split window. Same car another time...guy roles up aside me at the light and tells me I was acting like a hot dog. Maybe it was a good thing after all getting drafted by LBJ. At 20, I had to sell that trouble making car in a hurry.

Point is...some of us are not mature. It may take a while but we get there eventually. Then someone else takes their turn at hot *******.
The following users liked this post:
ExRedRacer (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:07 PM
MisterC
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes it's really hard not to hit the hammer.

Originally Posted by patentcad
Well, ok obviously I suppose, I BOUGHT the car, but besides that.

I have guys in SUVs and pick-up trucks who see me jamming up the road in a rather modest display of aggressive driving on the highway (which in these instances is just going a little faster than the traffic on my right, not shooting holes for daylight, none of that stuff) and *boom* it's like they think now they're in a dick measuring contest with the guy in the hot sports car and they'll show ME.

I had a LITTLE bit of this in the Victory Red 2007 C6 coupe, but at least those idiots were M3 guys who would pull up next to me on the right when I was minding my own business blasting down some empty highway in the left line @ 90 - they wanted to race me. I never took them up on it.

But after a month, I can tell it may be much worse in the new car. Unfortunately in both recent instances my reaction was 'WTF - they MUST be joking' and I hit the hammer to drop them - and when I looked at my speedo I was going 100+. I have to learn to let it go, their idiocy is infecting me.

I'll get there. I swore to myself today afterwards that the next time I'll slow WAY down, swing into the far right lane and set the cruise control to 54 mph. It's like anybody who thinks their car is faster than mine - I mean come on, we all know that 99%+ of the time it isn't. And if it is so what? There is never a reason to get drawn into that madness on a public road.
patentcad (01-30-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:22 AM
collinsmk
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Now image how it would be if you had the top of the line Z06...LOL..
I have one of those, black 3LZ Stage 3 Z07 and it attracts crazies and tailgaters all the time. A few weeks ago I was minding my own business in the fast lane at 79 or so having to pass on the right occassionally to avoid morons and then BOOM, I got smoked by an elderly looking female in a Tesla. I was just driving, I guess she thought we were racing...

Last edited by collinsmk; 01-31-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:28 AM
collinsmk
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Now image how it would be if you had the top of the line Z06...LOL..

I have one of those, black 3LZ Stage 3 Z07 and it attracts crazies and tailgaters all the time. A few weeks ago I was minding my own business in the fast lane at 79 or so having to pass on the right occassionally to avoid morons and then BOOM, I got smoked by an elderly looking female in a Tesla. I was just driving, I guess she thought we were racing...
Old 01-31-2017, 04:03 PM
Rwp315
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, ok obviously I suppose, I BOUGHT the car, but besides that.

I have guys in SUVs and pick-up trucks who see me jamming up the road in a rather modest display of aggressive driving on the highway (which in these instances is just going a little faster than the traffic on my right, not shooting holes for daylight, none of that stuff) and *boom* it's like they think now they're in a dick measuring contest with the guy in the hot sports car and they'll show ME.

I had a LITTLE bit of this in the Victory Red 2007 C6 coupe, but at least those idiots were M3 guys who would pull up next to me on the right when I was minding my own business blasting down some empty highway in the left line @ 90 - they wanted to race me. I never took them up on it.

But after a month, I can tell it may be much worse in the new car. Unfortunately in both recent instances my reaction was 'WTF - they MUST be joking' and I hit the hammer to drop them - and when I looked at my speedo I was going 100+. I have to learn to let it go, their idiocy is infecting me.

I'll get there. I swore to myself today afterwards that the next time I'll slow WAY down, swing into the far right lane and set the cruise control to 54 mph. It's like anybody who thinks their car is faster than mine - I mean come on, we all know that 99%+ of the time it isn't. And if it is so what? There is never a reason to get drawn into that madness on a public road.

What surprises me as on a interpret entrance ramp. I'll just be driving normal and you name the vehicle and they have to speed up close. I laugh to myself as I am watching their car or truck almost on two wheels. It's got to be uncomfortable for them.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:18 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippydoo
I've always had sports cars and my C7 seems to provoke this behavior more than any other. Idiots in trucks on my ***, blacked out Civics looking to race.....I too hammer down and should let it go.
A couple times what happens to me is the idiots in the blacked out Civics do a side swipe and while they don't come all that close to actually hitting me, the message is clear. You gotta just let them go when they do that.

Originally Posted by g.reed
^^^ Yup, its not just red. I drive a WGG and there is ALWAYS someone looking to test me. It gets old fast.
I get a lot of tailgaiting. I used to speed up when I thought it was safe, but I realized it's better just to slow down to 5 - 10 MPH below the limit. Usually they go around. I think some people just like to tailgate, period. It happens when I'm in my truck, too.

Originally Posted by 449er
Gotta get rid of the red Corvettes guys, draws too much attention with other drivers & the cops
This is why I have never gone for the red Vettes. I prefer silver, blue, or gray over the TR, which (no offense intended) is saying, "look at me!"

The Watkins Glen Gray looks menacing, especially with the black wheels, which I prefer over the loud red. But if I hear batmobile comparisons one more time... I might snap!

Originally Posted by gottaz51
Some of the best commentary in this entire thread.
There is a time and a place for speed, it only takes a split second to change your life forever....or end it or someone else's.
Yes, so true. Street racing is pretty stupid. Sometimes you feel personally challenged when someone challenges you, but it's not personal. Hey, it could be any cool, youngish looking middle-aged guy in a Vette, right? People want to test themselves (even though it's really their car) and they want to do it against a fast car, so there you have it.

Originally Posted by tcinla
always seems to happen to me when the wife is in the passenger seat so... No way to put the pedal down and not have to deal with the subsequent drone (not from the engine.)
When that happens, I always make a point of telling her how immature that other driver is. Sure, it's a blatant attempt to make myself look good, so I'm sure she's *not* impressed.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:16 PM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a couple of young kids in a Mustang ask me if I wanted to race.

I told them, "Why don't you just give your title, and we save the gas?"
The following 2 users liked this post by girardta:
AdventurePoser (02-05-2017), patentcad (01-31-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Right now I'm rockin' an White 04 SVT Cobra with a really nice exhaust system. I've had my share of crazies as well!!!!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
Right now I'm rockin' an White 04 SVT Cobra with a really nice exhaust system. I've had my share of crazies as well!!!!
Gotta love terminators.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:43 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

What is UP with this whole apparent Mustang vs. Corvette feud anyway?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I know right? W.T.F.????

I can hit the hyperspace button all right, but much of the time you get blocked by traffic ahead and these morons catch up to you.

The one time I dropped these two SUV imbeciles @ 107 mph going up a 4-5% grade on the interstate and was able go dive right into my exit ramp, so that time it worked. Who in their right mind tailgates a late model Corvette @ 95 mph in a high center of gravity SUV. That really is epic stupid @ its worst.

Not as stupid as me getting peeved and driving that fast in response perhaps, but most of you here understand my reactions.
Ever lose your license? Hope not. That car would sit a long time otherwise. And you wouldn't be happy about that.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:52 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Ever lose your license? Hope not. That car would sit a long time otherwise. And you wouldn't be happy about that.
I'm confident that won't ever happen.

But clearly not as confident as I may have been in my pre-Corvette days. My driving record is currently clean as a whistle. In the event that I ever get a speeding ticket I am prepared to go to court to contest the charges.

Last edited by patentcad; 02-04-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:52 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

What is UP with this whole apparent Mustang vs. Corvette feud anyway?
Shouldn't be a Corvette vs Mustang feud, now a Camaro vs Mustang or Ferd vs Chevy feud is all fair game...

Last edited by lakemg; 02-04-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Default It attracts loser a$$holes too.....

Well I've had my GS less than two days and while parked at the store today, some worthless, loser, POS threw a cherry soda on the rear of the car. Luckily I got it home within a few minutes and cleaned it up. I guess it could have been much worse. He could have keyed it, or even worse, if I saw him do it he'd be dead and I'd be in jail.

I really hope this is not the way it's going to be. I've never had this problem before with any of my other Corvettes, but I suppose I've never had one that's as outrageous as this. Some people really suck.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:54 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Well I've had my GS less than two days and while parked at the store today, some worthless, loser, POS threw a cherry soda on the rear of the car. Luckily I got it home within a few minutes and cleaned it up. I guess it could have been much worse. He could have keyed it, or even worse, if I saw him do it he'd be dead and I'd be in jail.

I really hope this is not the way it's going to be. I've never had this problem before with any of my other Corvettes, but I suppose I've never had one that's as outrageous as this. Some people really suck.
When I bought my first Corvette, a Torch Red C5, 13 years ago, the week after I bought it, I was parked in a public parking area and when I came back to it, someone had hocked a big, ugly loogie on the hood. I wasn't far from home and washed it right off as soon as I got there.

Totally understand your initial reaction of 'killing them and going to jail'. Fortunately, nothing like that has ever happened since to my other Corvettes.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 02-05-2017 at 05:55 PM.
VETTE-NV (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:47 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I think it is just an anomaly. I have never had that happen to my cars. Just your luck. Brand new car and some jerk pulls that.
VETTE-NV (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:51 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

My glock fits perfectly behind the screen.

Get notified of new replies

To My Torch Red C7 is an Idiot Magnet

Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hangman
My glock fits perfectly behind the screen.
You guys would attempt to murder someone for vandalism?? This world is truly chock full of crazies... Sheesh.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:26 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I think it was hyperbole. Sheesh. LOL

At least I hope it was.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:42 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Unfortunately, we now live in a society where there is a mass expectation of equal results replacing equal opportunity. Some people view Corvettes or other public displays of success as an attack on their low self-esteem. Sad. I've never viewed someone else's success as as a reason to feel bad. Rather inspired.
The following 2 users liked this post by MSG C5:
joemessman (02-05-2017), VETTE-NV (02-06-2017)

Quick Reply: My Torch Red C7 is an Idiot Magnet