The case for the ZR1 being naturally aspirated, not supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 928 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
Hold on a minute...this very exclusive supercar has a one speed transmission. I'm with GM, if they can build an automatic that shifts like a DCT (truly on command), but has the street manners like an auto (when in auto mode), it's worth talking about. The DCT's may be fast, but the Porsche seems to be the only one that doesn't kick you around in street mode, yet it still is more harsh than an auto.

Koenigsegg's don't count as supercars. They are a boutique manufacturer. When I say supercar I mean the "regularly produced" ones from McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, et al. Not people who basically build cars in their shed.

And FWIW I think the one-speed transmission that car is rocking will blow chunks. They did it just to be "different."

Also, you can't build an automatic that shifts like a DCT. Well you can, just only in one direction as you have to prioritize shifting up or down when you design the valve body and torque converter. This is why the 8 and 10 speeds shift up very quickly, but shift down slower than molasses.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I dunno about others, but I would gladly trade a bit of "reputation" for a more livable transmission.
DCTs can be quite livable.

You ever driven a Golf GTI?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:48 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,325 Likes on 994 Posts

^ Did you just say Koenigseggs were built in a shed...lol.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

^ Did you just say Koenigseggs were built in a shed...lol.
It was hyperbole, but yes from an automotive manufacturing perspective they are.

Anyone who can operate on a non-continuous fashion with no production line is a boutique maker. Even Bentley and Rolls Royce have "assembly lines."
Old 02-09-2017, 04:11 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,325 Likes on 994 Posts

You bring up the Golf, but keep in mind the VW group has been continuously investing in developing DCT's for quite a while now. Tadge made it pretty clear they don't want a transmission in the car they can't develop themselves, in the name of cost. GM clearly has resisted the DCT urge for a reason...I think they feel they can make an auto compete, and with their targets at PDK's shift times and responses, I think their marketing dept makes that intent clear also.

I'm not against them going DCT, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. If they can manage to deliver a mid-engine, truly capable sports car for under 100k, I think buyers will compromise a little. While I think you'll be able to option the cars to the 130-140 or so region, I think they want to start the car under 100k...like 90k-95k to start msrp on paper. It'll take some compromise to make that happen, but I think they can do it.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Ford basically bought and modified a DCT for the GT.

GM could do the same.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
You ever driven a Golf GTI?
Can't say I have.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Can't say I have.
Has a DSG, people who are used to automatics wouldn't know the difference. People who like manuals enjoy the quick shifts of the paddles.

Good DSG/DCT units are more common than bad ones. In fact the worst ones are the ones that try to "emulate" an automatic, like the Ford Focus one.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

You bring up the Golf, but keep in mind the VW group has been continuously investing in developing DCT's for quite a while now. Tadge made it pretty clear they don't want a transmission in the car they can't develop themselves, in the name of cost. GM clearly has resisted the DCT urge for a reason...I think they feel they can make an auto compete, and with their targets at PDK's shift times and responses, I think their marketing dept makes that intent clear also.

I'm not against them going DCT, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. If they can manage to deliver a mid-engine, truly capable sports car for under 100k, I think buyers will compromise a little. While I think you'll be able to option the cars to the 130-140 or so region, I think they want to start the car under 100k...like 90k-95k to start msrp on paper. It'll take some compromise to make that happen, but I think they can do it.
GM has a patent on a DCT with a torque convertor, so they must be looking at DCT's.

I believe that Acura has a DCT with a torque convertor in production, so it's feasible. http://articles.sae.org/13432/

For a low volume application, out sourcing a DCT is an option. They currently do that with their Tremec supplied manual transmissions, as it's cheaper to buy from an outside suppler vs building in house.

Ford is buying their DCT from an outside supplier for the GT, since they only need to buy 250 a year. They can't tool up their own DCT for a reasonable cost for that low a volume.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:40 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have DCT in my M3, by far the best transmission I have ever had in a car.

I wouldn't rule out a turbo charged car, several of the Cadillac platform motors are very good and I could see them being the basis for a V8 Turbo. Makes more sense to compete with McClaren, Ferrari, Porsche.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1

I wouldn't rule out a turbo charged car, several of the Cadillac platform motors are very good and I could see them being the basis for a V8 Turbo. Makes more sense to compete with McClaren, Ferrari, Porsche.
It's difficult to argue against a 3.5L TT V6 with 647 HP that meets all emission regulations. (Ford)

Makes one wonder what a 4.5L TT V8 would bring to the table. (GM)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1

I have an 8 speed tranny in my 650ix is it a DCT?
I think my old s8 was faster/smoother. This one bangs into gear with the sport button but just as quick.

Quick Reply: The case for the ZR1 being naturally aspirated, not supercharged