How many people could have been fed for the money that Corvette cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
That sir was deliberate! It was part of the joke.

Some people just don't get sarcasm.

It's a dying art I suppose.

As for the number of people the $100k could have fed, it is immaterial. It was my money and my money only feeds those I want it to feed. This question is trying to play on an emotion that shouldn't exist unless your bernie sanders or you could do this with EVERYTHING from the 4K TV to the latest smartphone or Alienwares newest laptop.

How pedestrian.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:55 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Some people just don't get sarcasm.

It's a dying art I suppose.

As for the number of people the $100k could have fed, it is immaterial. It was my money and my money only feeds those I want it to feed. This question is trying to play on an emotion that shouldn't exist unless your bernie sanders or you could do this with EVERYTHING from the 4K TV to the latest smartphone or Alienwares newest laptop.

How pedestrian.
That money goes into the economy and feeds a lot of people, both directly (GM employees) and indirectly via their and the corporation's spending.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Al Swearengen
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I guess my thinking is, at some point a document written by guys who lived in a time when an agrarian society was dominate might be a bit out of touch. The amendments have done a fine job, but at some point you need to rewrite things.

States have done it from time to time, Michigan is on its 3rd constitution (the current one I think was done in 1963). The reason, at some point the amendments (or as I call them the band aids), make the original document look a bit messy.

Read a copy of the constitution with the relevant sections crossed out, and the amendments stuck in (not tacked onto the end) and you get my drift. It gets disjointed and doesn't have the flow of a document anymore. Plus words change meaning overtime making literal interpretation nearly impossible.

The basic premise of the document (separation of defined powers) is probably the best idea of the document, and the pliability of it is the only reason how it survived. Remember though, lawyers did write it, so they knew what they were doing.

It's just a document, like anything else, it need not be worshiped or held as untouchable. If that was the case we'd still be using the Articles of Confederation (people forget the Constitution was the 2nd try). And right now, our constitution looks pretty bad, like a shirt with all sorts of different patches and stitching fixes on it.

Organizations rewrite bylaws and constitutions all the time (usually at a convention). No reason the "original" can't go through that as well.

The only reasonable argument to avoid a total rewrite would be, who do you trust to do it?
I see your reasoning and a good number share your view that a 230 year-old document could in no way be relevant in modern America. I'm an originalist, so of course I'll disagree.

I see the growth of the federal government as the main source of the perception that the Constitution is dated and it's basic principles no longer apply.

Much of the power delegated to the states has been usurped by a giant bureaucracy, and that was never the intent of the founding fathers.

In fact, and I'm sure you know, the primary reason federal power was limited was because of the tyranny colonists experienced at the hands of the British empire.

We can agree to disagree, but $20 trillion in debt and the waste, fraud and abuse found in Washington punishes all of us.

Leave the enumerated powers in the Constitution to the Feds, let the states manage the rest. That we we all don't pay the price for an out of control ruling class with no regard for We The People.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 02-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Al Swearengen:
Boiler_81 (02-13-2017), Flame Red (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
That money goes into the economy and feeds a lot of people, both directly (GM employees) and indirectly via their and the corporation's spending.

This.

I'm pretty sure a lot more people would starve if people stopped buying more than the bare necessities than if they bought more.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:34 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
This.

I'm pretty sure a lot more people would starve if people stopped buying more than the bare necessities than if they bought more.

The guy doing airbrushed graphics on underhood insulation blankets needs to feed his kids too.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Figured the front page crowd would want to chime in as well...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...rice-corvette/
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
This thread is full of greedy Corvette driving global warming capitalist dogs.

I feel right at home.

Carry on.
Me too, plus I'm deplorable
Old 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Consider yourself fortunate. I'm at more than 60% with all the various levels of Gooberments with their hands in my pockets. It is shocking to add it all up.
  • Fed Income Tax
  • Medicare Taxes
  • Property Taxes
  • State Income Taxes (ok, none here)
  • Sales Taxes, State and local
  • Taxes on Utilities, Water, Electricity, Cell Phones (Oboma Phones), Cable
  • Gas Taxes
  • Fees for Driver Licenses, Car Registrations
Maybe if those who were at the top couple of percent paid their fair share, you wouldn't have to pay so much. Before you dismiss my comment as more 'noise" from the side of the political spectrum that most here are certainly not from, consider this: Do you feel your tax bite? I sure do. Does your yearly financial planning involve any potential refund or tax due bill? Mine does. And yet with hard work, and having the fortune of a very good starting point, I have a newish Vette and a comfortable home and a better than average income. So if most of us here have to feel the pinch of paying taxes and having that pinch influence the life we live, why should those at the very top not have to feel it as well? I am NOT advocating punitive taxation - but I feel everybody should pay the same percentage as everybody else. Instead we have a taxation system that allows those who make the most pay the least in terms of income. That percentage of overall income is what makes paying taxes painful and nobody should have it easier or worse than anybody else. That is why a flat tax would be a real answer. everybody pays 20% across the board. No deductions. For those who say that will stagnate investment and growth by the richer folks, think again. Fully 70% of all GDP is driven by all consumer spending. Us unwashed masses included

Think of how many people THAT would feed

Too bad it will never happen. This is not a GOP vs Democratic thing. Both parties like it this way because both parties have plenty of hyper wealthy members and the wealthy always have the hands on the power levers.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:19 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,819 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
Maybe if those who were at the top couple of percent paid their fair share,
What exactly is a "fair share"? Usually that means you pay too much and anyone making more than you pays too little. Here are some actual figures from the IRS. the figures are adjusted to 2010 so a little old, but nothing much has changed:

Top 1%: 1,399,606 returns paid $392,149mil for 20.70% AGI for 38.02% of taxes
Top 5%: 6,998,029 returns paid $213,569mil for 34.73% AGI for 58.72% share
Top 10%: 13,996,068 returns paid $721,421mil for 45.77% AGI for 69.94% of taxes
Top 25%: 34,990,145 returns paid $890,614mil for 67.38% AGI for 86.34% of taxes
Top 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $1,003,639mil for 87.25% AGI for 97.30% of taxes
Bottom 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $27,783 mil for 12.75% AGI for 2.59% of taxes.

AGI = Adjusted Gross Income. So to put this in story problem form:

The top 1% earned 20.70% of the income, but paid 38.02% of all income taxes.
The top 5% earned 34.73% of the income, but paid 58.72% of all income taxes.
The top 10% earned 45.77% of the income, but paid 69.94% of all income taxes.
The top 25% earned 67.38% of the income, but paid 86.34% of all income taxes.
The top 50% earned 87.25% of the income, but paid 97.30% of all income taxes.
The bottom 50% earned 12.75% of the income, but paid 2.59% of all income taxes

Now let’s put that in perspective.

The top 1% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $380,354.
The top 5% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $159,619.
The top 10% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $113,799.
The top 25% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $67,280.
The top 50% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $33,048.
The bottom 50% means your adjusted gross income is below $33,048.

The top 1% already pay 38% of all taxes. The top 25%, where I'm guessing most of us fit, already pay 86% of all taxes. How much more do you want these guys to pay before you think is is "fair" in your eyes?
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Al Swearengen (03-23-2017), defaria (03-23-2017), WKMCD (03-26-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Al Swearengen
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe if those who were at the top couple of percent paid their fair share, you wouldn't have to pay so much.
I agree with most of your post, with the exception of the above statement. That is the fall back line for Democrats that want to do nothing more than grow the government so they can hand out our tax dollars to secure the future votes of their constituencies.

Approximately 47% of citizens pay ZERO federal income tax. My question: What is fair about ZERO?

In order for the population to have an engaged opinion on the bloated government bureaucracy they first need to have some skin in the game. Otherwise, they don't give a rat's *** how our tax dollars are being spent.

Fair share means flat tax. At a 10% rate if you make $2,000,000 you pay $200,000. If you make $20,000 you pay $2,000. That will get most citizens involved and they will care about what the clowns in Washington are doing with the almost $4,000,000,000,000 in tax revenue.

Without the top 1% providing jobs and capital investment, many of us wouldn't have the disposable income to buy a Corvette.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 03-23-2017 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:30 PM
FUZZBAIT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When was the last time any of you saw a "starving" person in the US? There is so much free food out there that it is pathetic. There should be a scale at the entrance of every food pantry. If you are over 200 lbs (for example) you are disqualified from receiving the government cheese!

Last edited by FUZZBAIT; 03-23-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

/rant on

I am so sick of the "fair share" commentary. I am not in the top percent. But we already have too many taxes. We need better management of tax payer money (no matter what party is in office) and less government waste and overhead.

Nobody paid a penny for me to go to college. I worked the whole time I was in school, got a scholarship, and then joined the Army. So sick off free handouts. I work in technology and we need more technical people and engineers. These jobs pay very good money and more and more we have to outsource because there is not a big enough pool of graduates in the US. There are jobs and opportunities out there for the taking. But it seems like more and more than people just want things given to them, or it is "too hard" to work low income jobs to position yourself for bigger and better things.

/rant off

Last edited by thill444; 03-23-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mschuyler
What exactly is a "fair share"? Usually that means you pay too much and anyone making more than you pays too little. Here are some actual figures from the IRS. the figures are adjusted to 2010 so a little old, but nothing much has changed:

Top 1%: 1,399,606 returns paid $392,149mil for 20.70% AGI for 38.02% of taxes
Top 5%: 6,998,029 returns paid $213,569mil for 34.73% AGI for 58.72% share
Top 10%: 13,996,068 returns paid $721,421mil for 45.77% AGI for 69.94% of taxes
Top 25%: 34,990,145 returns paid $890,614mil for 67.38% AGI for 86.34% of taxes
Top 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $1,003,639mil for 87.25% AGI for 97.30% of taxes
Bottom 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $27,783 mil for 12.75% AGI for 2.59% of taxes.

AGI = Adjusted Gross Income. So to put this in story problem form:

The top 1% earned 20.70% of the income, but paid 38.02% of all income taxes.
The top 5% earned 34.73% of the income, but paid 58.72% of all income taxes.
The top 10% earned 45.77% of the income, but paid 69.94% of all income taxes.
The top 25% earned 67.38% of the income, but paid 86.34% of all income taxes.
The top 50% earned 87.25% of the income, but paid 97.30% of all income taxes.
The bottom 50% earned 12.75% of the income, but paid 2.59% of all income taxes

Now let’s put that in perspective.

The top 1% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $380,354.
The top 5% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $159,619.
The top 10% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $113,799.
The top 25% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $67,280.
The top 50% means your adjusted gross income is at or above $33,048.
The bottom 50% means your adjusted gross income is below $33,048.

The top 1% already pay 38% of all taxes. The top 25%, where I'm guessing most of us fit, already pay 86% of all taxes. How much more do you want these guys to pay before you think is is "fair" in your eyes?
The thing is that the wealthier your are, the more your income is from things like capital gains, not W2 earnings. So your effective tax rate on all capital gains is 15%. I'm not a tax expert and will not pretend to be. So to answer your question, what is fair in my eyes:

you earn all told $50K, you pay $10K
100K, you pay $20K. A million, you pay $200K
and so on. It's fair, reasonable, equitable. And the pain is even across the board.

That's fair in my opinion. I'm well aware that the top earners contribute the most total dollars, but that is not the same as fair and equitable in terms of percentage equality.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thill444
/rant on

I am so sick of the "fair share" commentary. I am not in the top percent. But we already have too many taxes. We need better management of tax payer money (no matter what party is in office) and less government waste and overhead.

Nobody paid a penny for me to go to college. I worked the whole time I was in school, got a scholarship, and then joined the Army. So sick off free handouts. I work in technology and we need more technical people and engineers. These jobs pay very good money and more and more we have to outsource because there is not a big enough pool of graduates in the US. There are jobs and opportunities out there for the taking. But it seems like more and more than people just want things given to them, or it is "too hard" to work low income jobs to position yourself for bigger and better things.

/rant off
Ok to "rant" ...but where did you get that I want to increase taxes? If you are doing well, but not in the 1%, my commitment to flat tax would most certainly mean you would pay less, not more. Fair share simply means you pay the same percentage as everybody else. No more, no less. Contrast that to today's system where quite a few pay nothing and other pay a pittance in comparison to what they make. How is that working out for most of us? Again, it is not a blue/white thing...both parties want it to stay just this way. One major reason I chose to be an independent.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Maybe if those who were at the top couple of percent paid their fair share, you wouldn't have to pay so much.
By who's standard do we determine what "fair share" means? By yours? By the have nots? Or by math? I'd prefer math as it's logical and provable. Therefore a "fair share" can be said "everybody pays 10% of what they earn" yet that's not the case? IOW it ain't fair to start with!

Before you dismiss my comment as more 'noise" from the side of the political spectrum that most here are certainly not from, consider this: Do you feel your tax bite?
Hell yes!

I sure do. Does your yearly financial planning involve any potential refund or tax due bill? Mine does.
Usually not and is usually rolled over to the next year to handle that big tax bite!

And yet with hard work, and having the fortune of a very good starting point, I have a newish Vette and a comfortable home and a better than average income. So if most of us here have to feel the pinch of paying taxes and having that pinch influence the life we live, why should those at the very top not have to feel it as well?
Because the truth is they do feel it. They pay a lot. In fact they pay a vast majority of the revenue that the government brings in. http://dailysignal.com/2015/04/15/ho...-of-all-taxes/ - Top 10 Percent of Earner Paid 68 Percetn of the Federal Income Taxes. But I'll agree with you - they are not paying their "fair share" - they're paying way, way more than their fair share!

I am NOT advocating punitive taxation
And yet every economist knows that taxes are punitive and tax breaks are incentives...

- but I feel everybody should pay the same percentage as everybody else.
Great - let's start there. Everybody (and I mean everybody) pay's let's say 15%.

Instead we have a taxation system that allows those who make the most pay the least in terms of income.
Demonstrably false and one click above would confirm that.

That percentage of overall income is what makes paying taxes painful and nobody should have it easier or worse than anybody else. That is why a flat tax would be a real answer. everybody pays 20% across the board. No deductions. For those who say that will stagnate investment and growth by the richer folks, think again. Fully 70% of all GDP is driven by all consumer spending. Us unwashed masses included
This'll never happen. The government uses tax break to spur growth. If we went to a flat tax and stopped all of that the economy would stall.

Think of how many people THAT would feed

Too bad it will never happen. This is not a GOP vs Democratic thing. Both parties like it this way because both parties have plenty of hyper wealthy members and the wealthy always have the hands on the power levers.
And yet I just showed you that the hyper wealthy pay the majority of taxes...
Old 03-23-2017, 02:54 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
In order for the population to have an engaged opinion on the bloated government bureaucracy they first need to have some skin in the game. Otherwise, they don't give a rat's *** how our tax dollars are being spent.
I totally disagree with this! It's not that those people paying nothing don't care about how the tax dollars are being spent. No, indeed, they care. They want a slice of it! In fact they demand it. They offer nothing for it, nothing in positive sense. They are those who demand it based on their need not their value (and yes they claim value just because they are alive) for if they demanded it based on their value they'd already have it!.

Without the top 1% providing jobs and capital investment, many of us wouldn't have the disposable income to buy a Corvette.
Indeed!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FUZZBAIT
When was the last time any of you saw a "starving" person in the US?
I see one every day! He lives across the street in his car and spends his days begging for money directly under a sign that says, effectively, "Do not give money to panhandlers". The sign does nothing to dissuade him. This is the gawd's honest truth and he's been there every day in the 7 months that I've lived here. Starving? Maybe not but I surely wouldn't want to subsist on whatever little amount of food he gets.

Get notified of new replies

To How many people could have been fed for the money that Corvette cost

Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thill444
I am so sick of the "fair share" commentary.
Book recommendation Equal Is Unfair:
America's Misguided Fight Against Income Inequality America's Misguided Fight Against Income Inequality
skillfully addresses the inequality critics which is the driving force beneath those who believe "fair share" means something other than mathimatically proven percentages...

Nobody paid a penny for me to go to college.
I could say the same 'cept one semester I was short and agreed with my mom to cut my then long hair and she'd help pay for that semester...

I worked the whole time I was in school, got a scholarship, and then joined the Army. So sick off free handouts. I work in technology and we need more technical people and engineers. These jobs pay very good money and more and more we have to outsource because there is not a big enough pool of graduates in the US. There are jobs and opportunities out there for the taking. But it seems like more and more than people just want things given to them, or it is "too hard" to work low income jobs to position yourself for bigger and better things.
We've gone in similar directions. Also schooled myself, learned hard, worked hard for like 40 years now. I think a lot of people just assume the "rich" were just handed money. They can't believe that people can rise from poverty like I did. The book above talks about a lot of this. Also available on Audible.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:11 PM
defaria
Safety Car

The thing is that the wealthier your are, the more your income is from things like capital gains, not W2 earnings. So your effective tax rate on all capital gains is 15%.
Yes and I do this too now. Why don't you? (you meaning other people who complain about this). They'll say they don't have the money to put away anything in the stock market. Yeah, and who's fault is that? How did you get yourself into a situation where all you can do is live paycheck to paycheck? And yet there are examples of millionaires who managed to save up millions of dollars on a $25K/year salary. How did they do that and why can't you?

However, even if you invest your savings and pay 15% capital gains isn't it amazing, that with that reduction in taxation the rich still pay the vast majority of the taxes! Chew on that!

I'm not a tax expert and will not pretend to be. So to answer your question, what is fair in my eyes:

you earn all told $50K, you pay $10K
100K, you pay $20K. A million, you pay $200K
and so on. It's fair, reasonable, equitable. And the pain is even across the board.

That's fair in my opinion. I'm well aware that the top earners contribute the most total dollars, but that is not the same as fair and equitable in terms of percentage equality.
The tax code could easily be changed to not treat capital gains as taxable at a different rate.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that we've allowed out government too much power and it's running too many things. Why should the government "run" the economy? Why should the government be in charge of handing out favors to lobbyists, tax breaks to certain endeavors to "spur growth" and implementing heavy regulations to stifle competition? The answer, my friends, is not blowing in the win but to restrict governments power and put it back in the hands of the people. It is not the government's job to do social engineering through taxation and to run the economy. It's the government's job to provide for defense, the resolution of disputes (courts), and to protect individual's rights - not implement healthcare and steer the economy. And until people wake up and realize this we will continue to have this mess.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Adam Smith would is probably spinning in his grave....

Quick Reply: How many people could have been fed for the money that Corvette cost