Introducing New ProTEKt skidplates for the C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:59 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
Looks good. Any pics from straight on?

I'm not at home right now, but I will look for some pics when I get back.

FYI, even in person they are only barely noticeable, so likely they will be super difficult to pick out in a photo.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Looks good. Any pics from straight on?

Here you go!

as you can see, they are barely visible once installed. your car will appear completely stock to anyone that is not a complete detail freak.

C7 Stage 2/3 aero with ProTEKt skidplates installed

INTRO PRICING ENDS TODAY!!!!!

Thanks,
Mitch

www.protektskidplates.com

Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I wonder what the aero effect of putting an upside down lip on the leading edge of front splitter would be. More drag is fine, as long as it doesn't generate lift and/or counter the effect of the front aero.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,189 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by ProTEKtMitch
Here you go!

as you can see, they are barely visible once installed. your car will appear completely stock to anyone that is not a complete detail freak.

Thanks,
Mitch

Order placed. That pic is not very good. Hoping it looks better in person, there are no pices for under the side winglets? Isint that going to look a little strange? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
I wonder what the aero effect of putting an upside down lip on the leading edge of front splitter would be. More drag is fine, as long as it doesn't generate lift and/or counter the effect of the front aero.

I can't imagine that there is a measurable aero difference.

Whatever lift might be created by the beveled edge of the Skid Plates would likely be more than offset by the low pressure area on the trailing edge of the plates, effecting the trailing edge bevel, as well as the undertray.

Again, I imagine we are talking about purely theoretical numbers here, and I'm sure they would be so small either way as to not matter in real life conditions.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Order placed. That pic is not very good. Hoping it looks better in person, there are no pices for under the side winglets? Isint that going to look a little strange? Thanks.
The kit was dessigned to fully fill out the regular street version, which has smaller end plates. the car in the pic is a used high performance driving school car, which has the wider winglets on the end, but used the same center section and undertray, so it worked for test fitting, and making sure the profile matches up just right. In fact, I wasn't even aware that the car had the wider winglets until I got there.

thanks,
Mitch

Last edited by ProTEKtMitch; 03-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

The kit was dessigned to fully fill out the regular street version, which has smaller end plates. the car in the pic is a used high performance driving school car, which has the wider winglets on the end, but used the same center section and undertray, so it worked for test fitting, and making sure the profile matches up just right. In fact, I wasn't even aware that the car had the wider winglets until I got there.

thanks,
Mitch

My car has the stage 3 "Winglets", I actually think coming out of a driveway at and angle these will be the first piece to rub? do you have intentions of making the pieces for the stage 3? because I thought your kit covered the entire splitter
Old 03-13-2017, 05:52 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

My car has the stage 3 "Winglets", I actually think coming out of a driveway at and angle these will be the first piece to rub? do you have intentions of making the pieces for the stage 3? because I thought your kit covered the entire splitter
I thought the stage 3 splitter was one option, and the larger end plates were an upgrade from that?

I think maybe I am not getting the best info from my local Chevy dealer, who led me to believe that almost all the Aero equipped cars came with the smaller winglets, and that the larger ones were quite rare.

Am I misunderstanding the numbers here?

thanks,

Mitch

Old 03-13-2017, 09:19 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

I thought the stage 3 splitter was one option, and the larger end plates were an upgrade from that?

I think maybe I am not getting the best info from my local Chevy dealer, who led me to believe that almost all the Aero equipped cars came with the smaller winglets, and that the larger ones were quite rare.

thanks,

Mitch

Every Z07 packaged Z06 comes with the stage 3 winglets. It's not all that rare. And a lot of people who don't get the Z07 package still install the winglets. I included a pic of my car. That's the factory piece installed
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2017, 09:28 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

thanks,

Mitch
Read through this TechLink Article, it covers the various configurations that can be ordered with each model right at the beginning.

As noted, anyone can add them of course, but this shows what the factory configuration options are (for the large ones, it's only available on the Z06 with the Z07 package from the factory - according to this).
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mountainears
Read through this TechLink Article, it covers the various configurations that can be ordered with each model right at the beginning.

As noted, anyone can add them of course, but this shows what the factory configuration options are (for the large ones, it's only available on the Z06 with the Z07 package from the factory - according to this).
That article was more clarifying than anything else I have found, after asking around for months, thanks!

Ok, so the next thing is to maybe get an idea of how many folks ore running the wider configuration, and are also interested in a ProTEKt skid plate.

Anyone interested please hit me up!

If it looks like there is some demand, I will get on it right away.

@trans damm I know you are on the list! for now, just run the ones you have, and if (when) we make the Z07 version, I will get you a set.

thanks,
Mitch
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

That article was more clarifying than anything else I have found, after asking around for months, thanks!

Ok, so the next thing is to maybe get an idea of how many folks ore running the wider configuration, and are also interested in a ProTEKt skid plate.

Anyone interested please hit me up!

If it looks like there is some demand, I will get on it right away.

@trans damm I know you are on the list! for now, just run the ones you have, and if (when) we make the Z07 version, I will get you a set.

thanks,
Mitch
ok Thanks, Appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:51 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by dino333
Which one fits the Z06 poverty splitter?

This is a good piece of gear. I damaged mine last year, but will make the move, and buy one of these.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't imagine that there is a measurable aero difference.

Whatever lift might be created by the beveled edge of the Skid Plates would likely be more than offset by the low pressure area on the trailing edge of the plates, effecting the trailing edge bevel, as well as the undertray.

Again, I imagine we are talking about purely theoretical numbers here, and I'm sure they would be so small either way as to not matter in real life conditions.

Thanks,
Mitch
Gurney Flaps are very small, have a significant effect on aero.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Gurney Flaps are very small, have a significant effect on aero.
I agree with that.

I've been working in the race car industry for quite some time, and I have seen firsthand the effects that a Gurney Flap can have on a car.

Gurney flaps, (we usually refer to them a wickers, for the teams I have been involved with) are a great tuning aid for trimming aero balance, and sometimes we used them to increase high speed stability.

A wicker, though is a very specific thing, and works by creating a small low pressure vortex on the trailing edge of the wing, which helps maintain laminar airflow on the underside, (keeps airflow attached to the bottom of the wing) the wicker iteslf does not really produce downforce, though it does make a little bit of drag.

Also, wickers are made of 90 degree angle, and are positioned to be perpendicular to airflow, while the skidplates are tapered at 45 degrees.

A better analogy would be to compare it to a rear spoiler, I think. And I'm not sure how effective a 3/8" tall rear spoiler would be. I doubt that any of the drivers that I have worked with would be able to feel the difference, and I seriously doubt that it would effect lap times.

Now I am curious, though, are you doing some particularly high speed driving that this would be a concern? maybe doing some of the 1 mile, airport drag race events like we have going on here on the west coast?

I recently built a car for Land Speed Racing at El Mirage and Bonneville, but we havent done any pavement events with it. (we did go 219 MPH at bonneville, and set a record at 199 MPH at El mirage though!!) I'll see if i can find a picture of the car to post up here.

thanks,
Mitch
Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 PM
entrenched
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I'd be interested when you come out with something for the Z07/Stage 3 front splitter. Might actually lower the car with these on.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by entrenched
I'd be interested when you come out with something for the Z07/Stage 3 front splitter. Might actually lower the car with these on.

Thanks!

Im working on the C6 base model next, and then I think Z07 aero is next in line.

Thanks,
Mitch

Last edited by ProTEKtMitch; 03-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Introducing New ProTEKt skidplates for the C7 Corvette

Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Ordered, and received the next day via UPS

Sweeeeet
Old 03-25-2017, 02:45 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Ordered the special for my 2016 Z06/7 with stage 3. Install was super easy and it fit perfectly. Thanks!

Here you go!

Thanks,
Mitch

Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 AM
badtie
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have ordered the wrong Protekt Skidplate for my Z06 Corvette. I have tried several emails and messages to Protekt but have not received a response. I've tried through the forum and their website but no response. Website does not show a phone. Anyone know a phone number where I can speak to someone with Protekt?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Introducing New ProTEKt skidplates for the C7 Corvette