Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING: 3LT upper trim pieces dyed my seat! No warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:00 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd cautiously try a bit of acetone on a small section. Acetone is a fantastic solvent - but you have to be careful with it. Just might take the stain out.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 AM
jcrooker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like self inflicted problem. Clearly your fault. Keep in mind that the car has leather seating surfaces, not completely leather. An automotive paint store has interior paint.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

^^^ It's his fault that GM designed a car where the headrest can touch the headliner and the dye can bleed?

This seems like a design flaw.

In the end I consider this one of those good faith things. GM should just make it right and everyone is happy. This is how you keep loyal customers and bring more people to the brand. Not by trying to nickel and dime warranty issues on some of their most expensive cars.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-07-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM
jcrooker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it GM,s fault if he gets into an accident? Just sayin. Had to know seat was rubbing on the headliner. Action and reaction.
mountainears (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Same old GM/Ford dealer answer 'not my problem' then they wonder why they keep loosing market share. On a 100,000 dollar car too.
When ever I had a repair problem at BMW/Audi they would treat me like a king.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I also had 1 corvette (2013 427 convertible) with the light tan interior. It looked great but showed every spot of grime possible. Even the dye from my levi's would show on the tan seats. After that car its black seats for me, nothing else. The brown or light tan looks great when new but it does not wear well in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
Same old GM/Ford dealer answer 'not my problem' then they wonder why they keep loosing market share. On a 100,000 dollar car too.
When ever I had a repair problem at BMW/Audi they would treat me like a king.
That was my point. We are not talking about a $14K Chevy Sonic.. Should the OP have noticed it was rubbing? Maybe. Should GM have designed it this way? Probably not.

Just make it right. To your point this is how you build brand loyalty. I had a good friend take his Lexus in for an expensive repair even though the car was 10K miles outside of warranty. Lexus decided to repair it for free (parts and labor) because they felt the part should not have failed this early on and he was a loyal customer. He has bought two more Lexus's since...
The following 2 users liked this post by thill444:
2fastnow (03-07-2017), pdiddy972 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Go to another dealer and get it replaced under warranty. I don't know why the first dealer wouldn't do it GM is going to pay them so what the big deal?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I also had 1 corvette (2013 427 convertible) with the light tan interior. It looked great but showed every spot of grime possible. Even the dye from my levi's would show on the tan seats. After that car its black seats for me, nothing else. The brown or light tan looks great when new but it does not wear well in my opinion.
Thanks I was eye balling one with that tan interior...search do over
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog

Just use the front button to shimmey it up. Lean the seat back... I can hear it rubbing.
Like my mother would say.... well don't do that!!
LoganExplosion (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:44 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Not that it matters, but I think it should be a warranty item as well. Sloppy engineering. The problem is the dealer would swap out the seat cover and the new seat cover would probably have a bunch of wrinkles.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Got it, makes more sense now. I think a good leather shop could probably make that disappear without very much money.

Glad you tried PTM/Wet. It really is a great street setting.
Find an auto upholstery shop, they can solve your problem.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue. I have a vert and I just measured the distance from the top of the seat to the liner and there is 5". I know that the seat will not travel that high to hit the liner. I have driven Cadillac's forever and have had complete seat leather replaced under warranty (even if it "looked" like I could have caused it) UNTIL my latest CTS...it appears that GM has decided that interior related issues are not covered anymore EVEN UNDER BTB if they can say "you did it" regardless if it is a "design" issue or just bad materials. I good shop can correct this at a nominal cost I'll bet...Good luck and I would try another dealer also...
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

First to the OP, thanks for posting the pic. I'll see my car today (it's in the shop) and I'll check that out. This post is a public service message for all of us who may let someone short into their car!

Originally Posted by thill444
It's his fault that GM designed a car where the headrest can touch the headliner and the dye can bleed?

This seems like a design flaw.

In the end I consider this one of those good faith things. GM should just make it right and everyone is happy. This is how you keep loyal customers and bring more people to the brand. Not by trying to nickel and dime warranty issues on some of their most expensive cars.

Originally Posted by jcrooker
Is it GM,s fault if he gets into an accident? Just sayin. Had to know seat was rubbing on the headliner. Action and reaction.
I put both of these posts together because I think it's essentially the two sides of the argument :-) I'm not sold 100% on either side, but thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Had GM put something in the car that was rubbing and it was not designed to do that, absolutely 100% they should adjust it and fix any damage.

In this case, it may be by design (easily confirmed if others with Comp seats can do the same thing with their seats). But just because something is "by design" doesn't mean they totally meant to do that. An engineer looking at it and seeing it may go, "oh shoot, that shouldn't do that" and introduce a change to limit the travel of the passenger seat going forward so it doesn't. That in itself may not warrant GM fixing that for everyone but this is how those TSB's and other things get started.

I personally think it is irresponsible for the dealer to stop it at their level, I think it is totally appropriate to have this issue (again, if it is reproducible in other cars) escalated to the tech line and possibly a regional service manager to make sure it has the attention it should and be looked at as a potential design flaw. I also feel that a dealer could do some good customer service here even if it's not considered a design flaw.

I would look around for a VERY LARGE Corvette dealer, even if it means going on a big drive. Maybe call them first and discuss it, or call one of the larger forum dealerships and get their take on it.

If no success there I would call the GM customer service line.

In all instances I would try to be very calm, but also upset. Not suggesting you weren't, but on escalations like this I believe strongly that patience and temperament go a very long ways towards getting a good outcome.

Please keep us informed on how it goes. In the end, you may have to go out of pocket to get it fixed, but in my mind it is worth going a little extra on this one.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

It's a "design flaw" if the USER does something that mars a light colored leather seat? Seriously??? That's just a risk of having the light color interior -- you've got to be more careful if you want it to last.

And please stop with the mindset "GM should have designed it to prevent me from doing something dumb". YOU made a mistake-- be an adult and own it, instead of saying that GM shouldn't have 'allowed' you to do it.

There are LOTS of things we are "allowed" to do that will damage the car. Ever redline your engine immediately after startup? Is GM preventing you from doing it? Common sense right? Kinda like how you shouldn't adjust a light colored seat to an extreme position so that it rubs against a dark colored panel.

I don't know about others, but I don't WANT or NEED to be restricted like a child.

Last edited by Kent1999; 03-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Kent1999:
beaversstonehaven (03-09-2017), blkvet6 (03-11-2017), BRussell (03-07-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (03-07-2017), Mick14 (03-07-2017), mschuyler (03-07-2017), RFBHD (03-07-2017), speedlink (03-07-2017), Vetteram (03-07-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

As mentioned above, if all else fails here's your paint match source.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...inish-601990-1
The following 2 users liked this post by Jmcdude:
Foosh (03-07-2017), Gonzo (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kent1999

It's a "design flaw" if the USER does something that mars a light colored leather seat? Seriously??? That's just a risk of having the light color interior -- you've got to be more careful if you want it to last.

And please stop with the mindset "GM should have designed it to prevent me from doing something dumb". YOU made a mistake-- be an adult and own it, instead of saying that GM shouldn't have 'allowed' you to do it.

There are LOTS of things we are "allowed" to do that will damage the car. Ever redline your engine immediately after startup? Is GM preventing you from doing it? Common sense right? Kinda like how you shouldn't adjust a light colored seat to an extreme position so that it rubs against a dark colored panel.

I don't know about others, but I don't WANT or NEED to be restricted like a child.

I do agree with this, but if it truly is a design flaw then maybe it is one that they are not totally aware of. Is it wrong to bring it to their attention and get it in front of the right people instead of having it blocked right at the dealer? Is it not worth trying to avoid spending a few bucks by going to another dealer and calling customer service?

There is a rev limiter as you know, so GM does actually try to prevent some accidents from happening. And they even do more than I've seen other's do by dropping that rev limiter even lower during the 500 mile break in.

So while I do agree that I don't want to be controlled completely and there are definitely things that you can do to your car by not paying attention. But if there is a potential design flaw I don't think it is unreasonable to push the point a little with the dealers and GM as a design flaw and see where it takes you. But be prepared to have to eat this one as a learning / public service mistake at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To WARNING: 3LT upper trim pieces dyed my seat! No warranty

Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
Damp blue jeans (from rain, or sweating, etc) can bleed blue dye over time and ruin the light colored seats in your car. Watch out for that....
bleeding blue jeans onto white leather is not exactly like rubbing the roof with the headrest. One should NOT even be possible.
ZenicaPA (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
That was my point. We are not talking about a $14K Chevy Sonic.. Should the OP have noticed it was rubbing? Maybe. Should GM have designed it this way? Probably not.

Just make it right. To your point this is how you build brand loyalty. I had a good friend take his Lexus in for an expensive repair even though the car was 10K miles outside of warranty. Lexus decided to repair it for free (parts and labor) because they felt the part should not have failed this early on and he was a loyal customer. He has bought two more Lexus's since...
Ford is bad, also. My Fusion ate a valve due to a broken valve spring at 62500 miles, just 2500 over. I got tired of waiting weeks to see what they would do and just had a local mechanic replace the engine with a used on and moved on. Certainly did not help me think positively of Ford. I am more willing to consider other brands due to this (even though I qualify for family discount at Ford).
Old 03-07-2017, 10:13 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Had to know seat was rubbing on the headliner. Action and reaction.
I had to know the seat was rubbing the roof? Why? Just should not even be possible in my eyes.

I disagree. I think this is nothing like me scratching my car or getting in an accident. I was using the seat controls correctly.

Maybe a warning in the owners manual?

Quick Reply: WARNING: 3LT upper trim pieces dyed my seat! No warranty