WARNING: 3LT upper trim pieces dyed my seat! No warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
(snip)
An engineer looking at it and seeing it may go, "oh shoot, that shouldn't do that" and introduce a change to limit the travel of the passenger seat going forward so it doesn't. That in itself may not warrant GM fixing that for everyone but this is how those TSB's and other things get started.

(snip).
Maybe so, but using the exact same logic, shouldn't the owner, when he adjusts the seat to an extreme position so that a light color leather rubs against a dark color panel, say to himself, "oh shoot, that shouldn't do that" and slighty change the seat setting? Why is there no responsibility on the owner's part? Isn't that where the ultimate responsibility lies for foreseeable incidents like this?
The following users liked this post:
Crossed Flags Fan (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

It's a "design flaw" if the USER does something that mars a light colored leather seat? Seriously??? That's just a risk of having the light color interior -- you've got to be more careful if you want it to last.

And please stop with the mindset "GM should have designed it to prevent me from doing something dumb". YOU made a mistake-- be an adult and own it, instead of saying that GM shouldn't have 'allowed' you to do it.

There are LOTS of things we are "allowed" to do that will damage the car. Ever redline your engine immediately after startup? Is GM preventing you from doing it? Common sense right? Kinda like how you shouldn't adjust a light colored seat to an extreme position so that it rubs against a dark colored panel.

I don't know about others, but I don't WANT or NEED to be restricted like a child.

Are you seriously trying to make this argument??

It is clearly NOT his fault... This is NOT the same as blue jeans dying a seat as that is something that the user introduces into the car which damages the seat.

THIS IS A CAR PART DAMAGING ANOTHER CAR PART with no interaction from the user. The seat position is a possible position per the controls... He didn't modify the seat to move to that position, nor did he modify the headliner...

The seat headrest rubs on the headliner with no modification of parts by the user or result of any user action... How is humanly possible anyone cannot understand this simple fact?
The following 2 users liked this post by \Boost Monkey/:
Maxie2U (03-07-2017), Sillyme (03-09-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

This is why I always have a black interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDM111er:
fsvoboda (03-07-2017), Woodson (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Maybe so, but using the exact same logic, shouldn't the owner, when he adjusts the seat to an extreme position so that a light color leather rubs against a dark color panel, say to himself, "oh shoot, that shouldn't do that" and slighty change the seat setting? Why is there no responsibility on the owner's part? Isn't that where the ultimate responsibility lies for foreseeable incidents like this?
For this to be foreseeable it needs to be possible in any other car first.

Again the fact that it was rubbing was news to me. I started the morning thinking it was dirt. And I started the morning thinking it was impossible for those 2 pieces to rub.

This is why I started a thread about it.

Honestly, when was the last time you checked your passenger seat height?

If I had felt the rub I would have stopped it from happening. If I knew it was possible I would have checked.

I am sorry it was confusing. I was typing while angry last night. The best explanation came in my third post. I think I explained it clearly to him.

"The headrest of my passenger seat was wedged against the Alcantara under the hoop." The hoop is the part that would protect you in a roll over accident with the top removed. I hit bumps while the two pieces were touching and one bled onto the other.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-07-2017 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-use the Multi Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your replies look like this!
Maxie2U (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Good luck to you, my friend. I had no idea the seat could be raised so high: my fiance is 4-8 and she has the seat pretty high whether as passenger or driver.

Of course, we have a convertible..completely different animal.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Good luck to you, my friend. I had no idea the seat could be raised so high: my fiance is 4-8 and she has the seat pretty high whether as passenger or driver.

Of course, we have a convertible..completely different animal.
Thank you
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

It's a "design flaw" if the USER does something that mars a light colored leather seat? Seriously??? That's just a risk of having the light color interior -- you've got to be more careful if you want it to last.

And please stop with the mindset "GM should have designed it to prevent me from doing something dumb". YOU made a mistake-- be an adult and own it, instead of saying that GM shouldn't have 'allowed' you to do it.

There are LOTS of things we are "allowed" to do that will damage the car. Ever redline your engine immediately after startup? Is GM preventing you from doing it? Common sense right? Kinda like how you shouldn't adjust a light colored seat to an extreme position so that it rubs against a dark colored panel.

I don't know about others, but I don't WANT or NEED to be restricted like a child.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Are you seriously trying to make this argument??

It is clearly NOT his fault... This is NOT the same as blue jeans dying a seat as that is something that the user introduces into the car which damages the seat.

THIS IS A CAR PART DAMAGING ANOTHER CAR PART with no interaction from the user. The seat position is a possible position per the controls... He didn't modify the seat to move to that position, nor did he modify the headliner...

The seat headrest rubs on the headliner with no modification of parts by the user or result of any user action... How is humanly possible anyone cannot understand this simple fact?
So you're saying that anything a person does with his car that is not mechanically prevented nor warned against is free of negative outcomes? That the owner has NO responsibility to check his own actions? How is THAT even humanly possible?

We're not talking about 'hidden' interactions, or anything that requires specialized knowledge or disassembly to see. The most casual uninformed observer could stick his head in the car, look and within 1 second, say "that seat is rubbing the roof". It is unfortunate that the OP didn't see it (hey, stuff like that happens to all of us from time to time), but it wasn't because it wasn't self-evident, nor is it outside the realm of common knowledge that rubbing dark fabric on a light piece of leather *could* leave a mark.

Last edited by Kent1999; 03-07-2017 at 12:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Mick14 (03-07-2017), speedlink (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts
Default They will all rub!

While we are passing out heads ups, everyone should be aware that both competition, GT, passenger, and driver seats will all rub the headliner if adjusted too high. At least they will on my 2016 coupe.
I found out while trying to put a towel over my driver seat one day after washing the car. I was trying to keep my sweaty body off of the seat. I had to lower the seat to get the towel over it.
In the furthest back exiting position you only have a smidgen of room between the top of the seat and the bottom of the headliner. If you're adjusted up just a little bit it will rub.
Again this is my car, yours may be different.
My civic duty is done here.
Maxie2U (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog

Why does the cheap fake alcantera leak dye? Would a German engineer be shot for making this mistake? Would he shoot himself?
Sorry this happened to you. I would never have imagined that the seat could be raised that high. I hope you find some way to fix it.

All alcantera is "fake" since it is a man made fiber. Dyes can be transferred. Fact of life. I've seen many automotive seats stained by blue jeans and other examples of dye transfer.

How many German engineers were shot (or shot themselves) for the VW/Audi diesel cheating?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 PM
TPAJETSKI
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 37 Posts

Somewhat unrelated, but I was shocked to read in the owner's manual that storing the top with the cargo shade in place could discolor or damage the roof and would not be covered under warranty.....huh wha....a small piece of fabric can damage the roof? I guess I should remove it but so far I haven't noticed any harm being caused by leaving it in place.
Maxie2U (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Sorry this happened to you. I would never have imagined that the seat could be raised that high. I hope you find some way to fix it.

All alcantera is "fake" since it is a man made fiber. Dyes can be transferred. Fact of life. I've seen many automotive seats stained by blue jeans and other examples of dye transfer.

To argue your second point. Those people introduced the jeans into the car. I only adjusted the seat, I didn't go at it with a knife or hit it with anything of mine (key)..

How many German engineers were shot (or shot themselves) for the VW/Audi diesel cheating?
To counter your Alcantara point... GM was too cheap to pay for the name. It is the "exact same thing." So ours is a knock-off of Alcantara, NOT THE REAL THING. That thing is man-made, but it is not "fake." The generic store brand"s dr. Skipper soda is NOT the same thing as dr. Pepper

All joking aside, I wasn't there a massive round of firings done over that cheater scandal?

Last edited by theplatinumog; 03-07-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

There are LOTS of things we are "allowed" to do that will damage the car. Ever redline your engine immediately after startup?
I don't think you can. The redline is lowered while the engine is warming up. I don't know if the fuel cuts off though as I have never tried it.

Last edited by Woodson; 03-07-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Tboatman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think GM should fix this ,how much would it cost them? Plus it would help them in public relations. On the lite side if that's ur girl in the pic who cares about the seat haha just kidding there Hope you get it fix Name the dealer
Old 03-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

All Alcantara is "fake." The only thing that makes it "real" is to buy material made by a company formed by the inventor, "Alcantara SpA." There's no reason to believe someone else can't make it with the same quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

Last edited by Foosh; 03-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Gonzo (03-07-2017), speedlink (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
All Alcantara is "fake." The only thing that makes it "real" is to buy material made by a company formed by the inventor, "Alcantara SpA." There's no reason to believe someone else can't make it with the same quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)
I'm just trying to blame someone that is not GM. I am not really sure who I am mad at. 1/3 me for not noticing. 1/3 for chevy not saying anything anywhere about this potential. 1/3 chevy again for designing it this way.

Think the headliner in an aston martin would rub off on the seat if they could somehow touch?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Woodson
I don't think you can. The redline is lowered while the engine is warming up. I don't know if the fuel cuts off though as I have never tried it.
Yes, you can. While the tach displays lower cautionary rpm limits until the engine warms up, there's nothing stopping you from revving right past them.

The only rev limiter is at the normal operating temp redline.

Get notified of new replies

To WARNING: 3LT upper trim pieces dyed my seat! No warranty

Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tboatman
I think GM should fix this ,how much would it cost them? Plus it would help them in public relations. On the lite side if that's ur girl in the pic who cares about the seat haha just kidding there Hope you get it fix Name the dealer
It is my girl. And yes, this whole situation is very minor in the grand scheme of things.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Think the headliner in an aston martin would rub off on the seat if they could somehow touch?
It would if new Aston Martin's started at $46K and change at a dealer
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, if it were black rubbing against light seats, it would most definitely rub off.

Quick Reply: WARNING: 3LT upper trim pieces dyed my seat! No warranty