Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the correct jacking location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 AM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default What is the correct jacking location?

The owners manual for my 2017 Grand Sport has conflicting information on the proper jacking location for the rear of the car when using a floor jack. There is one image of the underside rear of the car with an arrow pointing to the cross member just forward of the differential indicating that is the correct jacking location. There is also a diagram indicating the correct jacking location is the cross member just to the rear of the differential. Which one is correct? Thanks in advance for the help. I have done some Google searches and I can't find definitive info.

I do have a set of cross beam adapters on order from Smith Fabrication. I also plan to order a Service Manual from Helm once they are available.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oints-z06.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ve-wheels.html

Last edited by Eff A Ford; 04-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC333
The owners manual for my 2017 Grand Sport has conflicting information on the proper jacking location for the rear of the car when using a floor jack. There is one image of the underside rear of the car with an arrow pointing to the cross member just forward of the differential indicating that is the correct jacking location. There is also a diagram indicating the correct jacking location is the cross member just to the rear of the differential. Which one is correct? Thanks in advance for the help. I have done some Google searches and I can't find definitive info.

I do have a set of cross beam adapters on order from Smith Fabrication. I also plan to order a Service Manual from Helm once they are available.
Here is a pic I colored for clarity from the Service Manual.

This is a PDF with lots of details and "How To Make" a cross beam:

http://netwelding.com/Jacking_A_C7.pdf

Made from the 2014 Service Manual-Colored for Clarity.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
Bowmanr1 (04-01-2017), kevstaarr (12-31-2019), Skid Row Joe (04-01-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 AM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you very much for these two links. The first one I had found in my previous searches but it did not clarify the conflicting info in the owners manual. The second link was a new posting and was extremely helpful as it had pictures from the service manual which provides a great deal more info. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Install the jacking pucks from ZL1addons and never have to worry again. Especially but not limited to dealer visits. My techs love that these are installed, makes it easy for them as well.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

For changing tires, brake pads, or other brake work, it's far easier to use the blue jack points in the diagram above with jacking pucks. The so-called "preferred locations" are for the DIY person using jack stands at home for doing other work underneath the car.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Recommended Floor Jacks

Does anyone know if this Harbor Freight floor jack will work on a GS? It says minimum height is 3-3/8" which should be fine but you also have to reach in about 9" and since the side of the jack is tapered it is hard tell what the height is at that depth.

Any other suggestions for a floor jack that is known to work is appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2017, 12:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GR Jay
Does anyone know if this Harbor Freight floor jack will work on a GS? It says minimum height is 3-3/8" which should be fine but you also have to reach in about 9" and since the side of the jack is tapered it is hard tell what the height is at that depth.

Any other suggestions for a floor jack that is known to work is appreciated.
See the PDF in my post #3.
It will work but with its very short lift arm it has to roll in over 2 inches when jacking to keep the saddle centered under the jacking puck. If not it can slip off-BAD!

Be sure whatever hydulic jack you buy, it is placed perpendicular to the car, the rear swivel wheels are pointed in the direction of the car. Then lift slowly and watch that the jack and saddle move in. Easy on my tiled garage floor, not as easy on my concrete driveway!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-02-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default OK....slightly off topic...

I want to get jacking pucks for my new GS. I went to Eckler's and found billet pucks for 2014-2017 Corvettes. I opened the link and in red print it said "does not fit 2017 models".....huh?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but what are the best jacking pucks out there for a 2017 2LT GS with side skirts? Thanks.

PS...my GS arrives tomorrow morning from MacMulkin.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:27 PM
GR Jay
Racer

JerryU, That is a heck of write up thanks. Is your concern with a floor jack needing to "travel" toward the center of the car while you are jacking that it may hangup and not move? I thought this traveling movement was exactly how the jack is designed to function so it really shouldn't be an issue should it? I always use a jack stand in conjunction with the jack even if I'm just changing a tire and not getting under the car.

Last edited by GR Jay; 04-02-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I want to get jacking pucks for my new GS. I went to Eckler's and found billet pucks for 2014-2017 Corvettes. I opened the link and in red print it said "does not fit 2017 models".....huh?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but what are the best jacking pucks out there for a 2017 2LT GS with side skirts? Thanks.

PS...my GS arrives tomorrow morning from MacMulkin.
FWIW I bought KaTech 2 1/2 inch diameter 2 inch high pucks for my 2014 Z51 when I added LG Motorsports side skirts and the higher lift was needed.

However always worried that the mechanics would not use them even though I left them on the passenger seat in a clear plastic bag! Even if the dealer has them, mechanics don't like to "waste time" going to the tool crib to get out tools! They jack up most other cars and trucks without problems. With a Vette they have a chance of cracking the rocker panes. Just have to hope they are not taking a chance on your car!

Even though I have the KaTech I bought Reverse Logic pads for the Grand Sport on order. They are a forum vendor.
http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-pads...=0&sort=normal

This is a cleaver design. When jacking at home (I do my own oil changes etc) I'll use them like the Katech. Slip in and take out.

However if going to the dealer or tire shop for whatever, I'll remove the spacer on those pucks and lock them on the car. When I'm back home I remove them. Great product, IMO

Last edited by JerryU; 04-02-2017 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Myfourth1 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
FWIW I bought KaTech 2 1/2 inch diameter 2 inch high pucks for my 2014 Z51 when I added LG Motorsports side skirts and the higher lift was needed.

However always worried that the mechanics would not use them even though I left them on the passenger seat in a clear plastic bag! Even if the dealer has them, mechanics don't like to "waste time" going to the tool crib to get out tools! They jack up most other cars and trucks without problems. With a Vette they have a chance of cracking the rocker panes. Just have to hope they are not taking a chance on your car!

Even though I have the KaTech I bought Reverse Logic pads for the Grand Sport on order. They are a forum vendor.
http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-pads...=0&sort=normal

This is a cleaver design. When jacking at home (I do my own oil changes etc) I'll use them like the Katech. Slip in and take out.

However if going to the dealer or tire shop for whatever, I'll remove the spacer on those pucks and lock them on the car. When I'm back home I remove them. Great product, IMO
Since I don't have the facility to do my own oil changes, my dealer allows me to watch the tech when they do oil changes and any other work. I will hand the pucks to the tech personally when I need to use them, thanks.
JerryU (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Does anyone know if this Harbor Freight floor jack will work on a GS? It says minimum height is 3-3/8" which should be fine but you also have to reach in about 9" and since the side of the jack is tapered it is hard tell what the height is at that depth. Any other suggestions for a floor jack that is known to work is appreciated.
I've had the HFT 68050 for four years and it has worked great with my C6 and two C7s (Stingray and GS). It's long reach and low profile makes it perfect for these cars, and it's two-ton rating is plenty. Be advised that at ~90# it is no lightweight, but it isn't a problem wheeling it around my garage.

I also bought the Cross Beam Adapter #60762, but in its current configuration it is too wide for the C7. I pulled out the two adjustable end sections and fixed two small 2x4 squares on the base unit at the correct width. Others have used 2x4 sections instead and just centered it on the jack pad, which is a cheaper solution. This X-beam adapter fits "most" Pittsburg jacks, including the 68050. It's too high to fit under the car, even with a low-profile jack, so I made some ramps with 2x12" boards (<$10) that gets the car up about 3½" so the jack and X-beam will fit. The jack alone does not have any clearance issues inserting ≤18".
Attached Images  

Last edited by iclick; 04-02-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by iclick
I've had the HFT 68050 for four years and it has worked great with my C6 and two C7s (Stingray and GS). It's long reach and low profile makes it perfect for these cars, and it's two-ton rating is plenty. Be advised that at ~90# it is no lightweight, but it isn't a problem wheeling it around my garage.

I also bought the Cross Beam Adapter #60762, but in its current configuration it is too wide for the C7. I pulled out the two adjustable end sections and fixed two small 2x4 squares on the base unit at the correct width. Others have used 2x4 sections instead and just centered it on the jack pad, which is a cheaper solution. This X-beam adapter fits "most" Pittsburg jacks, including the 68050. It's too high to fit under the car, even with a low-profile jack, so I made some ramps with 2x12" boards (<$10) that gets the car up about 3½" so the jack and X-beam will fit. The jack alone does not have any clearance issues inserting ≤18".
Love DIY solutions! After I had an issue with a short arm harbor freight jack bought exactly the jack you have! But since I now have three hydraulic jacks, I use two with jack pads to lift the car just high enough to get my large jack and home made cross beam under the correct jacking locations. Your solution with the purchased cross beam is excellent.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:39 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Originally Posted by iclick

I saw that low profile long reach unit but the 93lb weight is a turn off unless the aluminum one won't work. I have HF near my work so I am going to check them out tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:45 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Huh?

Kind of a personal question......
Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I saw that low profile long reach unit but the 93lb weight is a turn off unless the aluminum one won't work. I have HF near my work so I am going to check them out tomorrow.
It will work, but if your going to HF bring a tape measure and buy the one with the longest arm that fits your weight and price objectives. They have many to pick from.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the correct jacking location?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

JerryU, That is a heck of write up thanks. Is your concern with a floor jack needing to "travel" toward the center of the car while you are jacking that it may hangup and not move? I thought this traveling movement was exactly how the jack is designed to function so it really shouldn't be an issue should it? I always use a jack stand in conjunction with the jack even if I'm just changing a tire and not getting under the car.
Yep, as you say that is the way it is supposed to work. Does that on my tiled garage floor but when I jack it up on my concrete driveway it does not always move in sifficiently. I watch very carefully (most times!) and occationally have to lower the jack an start over. The large rollers used for front wheels on some HF jacks are worse in that regard. The shorter the lift ard the higher the lift, the more it must move in.
McSteel (09-17-2019)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:51 PM
GR Jay
Racer

After measuring all of the HF aluminum floor jacks it didn't look like they would fit so ended up getting the steel long reach jack. It should work like a charm.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

After measuring all of the HF aluminum floor jacks it didn't look like they would fit so ended up getting the steel long reach jack. It should work like a charm.
Hope someone helped get it in your car! I didn't know how much it weighed when I bought it. A HF employee helped put it on a buggy and I wheeled it to my SUV. Could slide it in! Not really a big deal once it's in the garage as I just wheel it around!

Quick Reply: What is the correct jacking location?