Sponsored by:

The 2018 isn't the mid-engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
I have been a car guy reading about rumors of a mid engine Corvette "next year or maybe the year after" for the last 40 years. I will believe it when I see it.

This is common sense, what you're saying. But doesn't it seem a bit more real this time? Especially since we have the so called spy shots of the mid-engine test cars?

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The C7 will continue through the 2020 MY. The C8 will be a front engine Corvette. The ME is a GM super car separate from the C7 and C8 and is expected to be produced starting as a 2019 model. (I've been saying this for the last year and a half or more.)
Well, you seem to have all the facts to fill the void left by the General, who is conspicuous by its silence. What inside connection do you have to verify?

It does make sense to me, that a larger production run ME would not be a Corvette. A ME Corvette with low production numbers, like the Ford GT makes sense to me.

Originally Posted by maxp
What are the chances the ME supercar is a Cadillac?
Seems right, since the Corvette has such a huge demo of old geezers that like front engine cars!

Originally Posted by thill444
Just because a car is midengine does not mean it will be uber expensive. At some point a mid engine sportscar with a force induction 6 or 4 cylinder will make sense. Depending on the current and future administration CAFE laws will make V8's a thing of the past.
Yes, at some point the V6 will have enough power to run with the big dogs and that should make the ME more practical. Since the front engine / rear wheel design has supposedly pretty much hit the wall, technology-wise, we may all have to suck it up and accept the ME. Same is probably true for the manual transmission. All going the way of the Dodo.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:45 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
Well, you seem to have all the facts to fill the void left by the General, who is conspicuous by its silence. What inside connection do you have to verify?
I spend time with a wide variety of GM personnel through the year. Picking something up here and there and filling in the gaps is the name of the game. Continental Structural Plastics made a rather big mistake last year when seeking approval from the local planning commission for their expansion project. That story provides some key pieces of the puzzle. Some pieces of the puzzle I simply can't expound on. But like I always say, time will tell.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Just because a car is midengine does not mean it will be uber expensive. At some point a mid engine sportscar with a force induction 6 or 4 cylinder will make sense. Depending on the current and future administration CAFE laws will make V8's a thing of the past.
You are absolutely right, couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
This is common sense, what you're saying. But doesn't it seem a bit more real this time? Especially since we have the so called spy shots of the mid-engine test cars?
It's coming, it's real...WAY too many hints have been dropped by people in the know.

It does make sense to me, that a larger production run ME would not be a Corvette. A ME Corvette with low production numbers, like the Ford GT makes sense to me.
To test the waters, perhaps the first production will be low.
However, I believe the plan is to eventually replace the FE with the ME.
FWIW, having driven the dazzling Ferrari 458, I'm all for an ME.
Shifting the majority of the weight rearward makes a huge difference in the driving experience.

Yes, at some point the V6 will have enough power to run with the big dogs and that should make the ME more practical.
F1 uses a hybrid V6 TT these days that is designed to last 6 races.
The power is above 1,000 hp.
The size of the V6 = 1.6L (that is NOT a typo!).
Old 04-13-2017, 09:09 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

The C7 will continue through the 2020 MY. The C8 will be a front engine Corvette. The ME is a GM super car separate from the C7 and C8 and is expected to be produced starting as a 2019 model. (I've been saying this for the last year and a half or more.)
Corvette Forum soothsayers RULE.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bojangles
maybe I'm getting old but I thought the 2018 Corvette was a mid engine vehicle. Will there also be a front engine Vette available?
Thanks..
supposedly both frt & ME will be sold together with ME 150+ $

then they will all be ME eventually after a few years
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Why not go after Fords GT?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
I have been a car guy reading about rumors of a mid engine Corvette "next year or maybe the year after" for the last 40 years. I will believe it when I see it.
The C7 is already a mid-engine design (engine is behind front axle). Putting it in front of the rear axle doesn't seem worth doing.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

I believe GM is building a mid engine car, I also believe it's going to be a Cadillac.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If GM does build the mid engine car and it is expensive it won't be made in Bowling Green. They will farm it out to a small builder like Ford did for the GT. There is just not enough sales to justify the cost of refitting the plant for a low volume product.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

GM does market analysis to determine what they think demand will be for an ME super car. I bet they build somewhere between 1000 and 2000 max during the first year of production.
and it won't be called a Corvette.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Yes, at some point the V6 will have enough power to run with the big dogs and that should make the ME more practical. Since the front engine / rear wheel design has supposedly pretty much hit the wall, technology-wise, we may all have to suck it up and accept the ME. Same is probably true for the manual transmission. All going the way of the Dodo.
huh? Dodge Demon has front engine, rear wheel design and will do 9-sec quarter miles off the showroom floor.
The following 3 users liked this post by pdiddy972:
Gonzo (04-15-2017), joeybsyc (04-13-2017), Red C8 of Jax (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Driving fast in a straight line does not make a car very enjoyable IMHO. That said the FE V8 Corvette's days are numbered. What is needed is a ME TT V6 for under $75K. Can GM pull it off?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:01 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

I hope they can't.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Corvette Forum soothsayers RULE.

Ahhh, good memories there...Johnny was the King.

Originally Posted by brettmess24
Why not go after Fords GT?
The Ford GT is an Exotic ($400k +), not a Sportscar.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
The C7 is already a mid-engine design (engine is behind front axle). Putting it in front of the rear axle doesn't seem worth doing.
Uhhhhhh.....

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
If GM does build the mid engine car and it is expensive it won't be made in Bowling Green. They will farm it out to a small builder like Ford did for the GT. There is just not enough sales to justify the cost of refitting the plant for a low volume product.
The mostly likely reason is it is not planned as a low-volume vehicle.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
huh? Dodge Demon has front engine, rear wheel design and will do 9-sec quarter miles off the showroom floor.
The Demon is NOT a Sportscar.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:59 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Driving fast in a straight line does not make a car very enjoyable IMHO. That said the FE V8 Corvette's days are numbered. What is needed is a ME TT V6 for under $75K. Can GM pull it off?
I'd be curious why you think it's days are numbered? First of all, how is a car with a 50/50 weight distribution really a front engine car? The current engine has a combination of horsepower, torque and gas mileage that no forced induction production car beats. What exactly is wrong? It's like GMs V8 truck engines versus Fords Ecoboost engines. Look at their specs and the ford engines really don't offer any significant real world advantages.

I do get that turbo engines are generally tuned for more low end torque, but with the new 9-10 speed transmissions even the low end torque is not as much of a factor.

The biggest reason for forced induction is that it simply allows auto companies to boost existing engines for big power rather than building all new bigger displacement engines. The reason the Corvette V8 model works so well is simply that they share basic engines with a gazillion truck engines they sell every year.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:03 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

If mid-engine (with engine in front of rear axle) is so great, why did the Grand Sport stomp all over the brand new mid-engine Acura NSX at Lightning Lap? That's a $200,000 brand new car.

The Demon is NOT a Sportscar.
Obviously. But the current Vette is, and it beats most mid-engine cars, regardless of price. So what's the attraction?

Last edited by pdiddy972; 04-14-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:33 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

For those who think the front-engine has reached its limits why do the Grand Sport and Z06 pull 1.2G on the skidpad (the highest ever recorded) and beat basically everything on a racetrack? What is it exactly you think is being fixed by moving the engine backwards? Isn't this really just folks wanting something "different" instead of better? Maybe they like the sound of the engine behind them, or they wants he Corvette to be like some more expensive cars? It doesn't seem to be performance you guys are after with this mid-engine lust.

Get notified of new replies

To The 2018 isn't the mid-engine?

Old 04-14-2017, 11:02 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe it will be based on the Pontiac Fiero chassis, tested, tried and true.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:11 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I here it's going to have a new twin turbo 4 cyl motor called the Eco-Burp and the name won't be Zora but Dorka.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:55 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

I spend time with a wide variety of GM personnel through the year. Picking something up here and there and filling in the gaps is the name of the game. Continental Structural Plastics made a rather big mistake last year when seeking approval from the local planning commission for their expansion project. That story provides some key pieces of the puzzle. Some pieces of the puzzle I simply can't expound on. But like I always say, time will tell.

I see. These are informed inferences, which is cool, and perfectly valid. Maybe I need to follow the individual posters more, so I can get a feel for who falls into your category, vs. those just blowing hard (plenty of the latter around here!) My $0.02 would be to put some context with the info, to lend it more credence. Regardless, keep posting, and I'll sort through it all somehow.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (04-15-2017)

Quick Reply: The 2018 isn't the mid-engine?