Sponsored by:

When did the C7 get no-lift shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:57 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

^^^^^ Why did you buy a Corvette? Seriously?

Last edited by bigsapper; 04-15-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: To add "Seriously?"
Old 04-15-2017, 06:13 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
It compels you to run the RPM basically right up to fuel cutoff - I doubt unless you are trying to "do this" that most people would run it that high. I don't have the interest to look up the graph - but is the torque as high at the edge of fuel cutoff or has it already peaked and started to decline? Same with horsepower. GM didn't make the car with "no lift shift" - they just designed the electronics so if you peg the throttle the engine won't grenade (and, admittedly, will stay out of fuel cutoff if properly engaged). To say this type of driving style doesn't damage the car is naive. It's like launch control - do that every time you start out and tell me it doesn't damage the car.
Wtf? You don't understand how manual transmissions work. You shift at redline so the torque in the next gear is as high as possible...and it's less then the current gear at redline. Gears are torque multipliers. For maximum acceleration, you do shift that high. You are completely wrong, GM did design the car for no lift ****. It's not the engine grenading that you would worry about if they didn't. The clutch and transmission would be the problem. You don't understand why the car does what it does. Even with your foot to the floor, you are not directly controlling the throttle. The computer is at all times. This is nothing like launch control at all. This puts no more physical stress on the drive line then doing the quarter mile while lifting and shifting. If your saying that running it to redline is what you are worried about, you have different reasons for buying the car. That's fine, just don't give people bad information about what the car can do.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:13 PM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just sort of catching up here. First for those who don't believe this is a real feature on the C7, someone posted a download of the C7 ECM here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587422225

Later in that thread, I got one of those cool toys and showed the difference between doing a no lift shift, and just letting it run into the rev limit. The main diff seems to be that the computer keeps the throttle at full for the NLS, and reduces it for the rev limit. I'm not sure how much this speeds up the shift, but it's clearly not just hitting the rev limit when you do a NLS.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587592805

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Originally Posted by 13brv3
Just sort of catching up here. First for those who don't believe this is a real feature on the C7, someone posted a download of the C7 ECM here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587422225

Later in that thread, I got one of those cool toys and showed the difference between doing a no lift shift, and just letting it run into the rev limit. The main diff seems to be that the computer keeps the throttle at full for the NLS, and reduces it for the rev limit. I'm not sure how much this speeds up the shift, but it's clearly not just hitting the rev limit when you do a NLS.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587592805

Cheers,
Rusty
So that's what this guy was saying? He thought what made no lift possible was fuel cut off? Pardon my confusion as to how anyone might think that would be faster than lifting.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
It compels you to run the RPM basically right up to fuel cutoff - I doubt unless you are trying to "do this" that most people would run it that high. I don't have the interest to look up the graph - but is the torque as high at the edge of fuel cutoff or has it already peaked and started to decline? Same with horsepower. GM didn't make the car with "no lift shift" - they just designed the electronics so if you peg the throttle the engine won't grenade (and, admittedly, will stay out of fuel cutoff if properly engaged). To say this type of driving style doesn't damage the car is naive. It's like launch control - do that every time you start out and tell me it doesn't damage the car.
you are incorrect. No Lift Shift is not just "our term for using the rev limiter. It's a completely separate thing and part of the features of the car just like satellite radio or the little cubby in your rear hatch.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 09:51 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
So you guys are saying that the engine will maintain the RPM you are at when you depress the clutch peddle while at WOT ? Pretty cool .. did not know that.
No lift shift is activated the second you floor it , once you commit to a shift by the slightest movement (pull or push) of the shifter and gas pedal still on the floor, the rpm holds at that rpm during the power shift procedure. That is stab the clutch and push /pull the next upshift at exactly the same time and never lift off the floor. Example..
If you pull back on the shifter (1-2 shift) and depress the clutch exactly the same time, lets say at 6400 rpm, the rpm holds till your power shift is complete in that split second.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:33 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I just did it driving home from church. My church is out in the country so opportunities to have fun with your car. When I get time, I think I'm gonna make a Go Pro vid running 1 though 4 with no lift shift so people can see it. I've even used it while tracking. Works slick. You are not doing any more damage than if you were lifting off the throttle while speed shifting. The difference is you can seriously get the shift down to almost as fast as the Auto shifts. Instantly.
pdiddy972 (08-08-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 02:50 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

no - lift - ****, aka power shifting, has been around since the beginning of time. so this is nothing new, i guess if you fall for the hype, lucky you.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by walleyejack
no - lift - ****, aka power shifting, has been around since the beginning of time. so this is nothing new, i guess if you fall for the hype, lucky you.

you can lead a horse to water I guess....
The following 2 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
Boiler_81 (04-16-2017), joeybsyc (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I just did it driving home from church. My church is out in the country so opportunities to have fun with your car. When I get time, I think I'm gonna make a Go Pro vid running 1 though 4 with no lift shift so people can see it. I've even used it while tracking. Works slick. You are not doing any more damage than if you were lifting off the throttle while speed shifting. The difference is you can seriously get the shift down to almost as fast as the Auto shifts. Instantly.
I measured my shifts with HPTuners when I had the 2014 C7 and had them at 100ms, which is pretty cool. Still though, an auto will do that every time forever. I'd miss one eventually.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:25 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Once again, wrong. What you are referring to was not built into the car and controlled by the computer. What you are referring to amounts to abuse of the drivetrain. Why is it so hard to understand?
The following 3 users liked this post by falconhulk:
Boiler_81 (04-17-2017), joeybsyc (04-16-2017), woodsguy (08-08-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I measured my shifts with HPTuners when I had the 2014 C7 and had them at 100ms, which is pretty cool. Still though, an auto will do that every time forever. I'd miss one eventually.
About what I was figuring. Figured a 10th of a second is possible. True about missing shifts, but the auto doesn't give you the same satisfaction as when you're nailing shifts left and right. Miss a 2-3 and you lose about a car length to the A8 if you can pull off a save quick enough.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:02 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Once again, wrong. What you are referring to was not built into the car and controlled by the computer. What you are referring to amounts to abuse of the drivetrain. Why is it so hard to understand?
Not at all, what you don t understand is real.driving without the nannies lol
Too funny
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Not at all, what you don t understand is real.driving without the nannies lol
Too funny
pretty naive to think someone that can do long division wouldn't prefer a calculator.

I have powershifted the ***** off everything from 67 Novas (even broke the shifter out of the transmission twice) to 80's Z28s to 90s SS' to C5Z's to C6Z's, late model Camaros to C7s, 125cc shifter karts, etc, etc.

Guess what, No Lift Shift is cool and works great.
The following 3 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
DAFFYDRUNK (04-17-2017), Foosh (04-16-2017), joeybsyc (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Good for you, i guess you need it.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

...driving without the nannies...
I'm an old school guy - probably been driving longer than you have.

I learned to drive in the late '50's on my dad's '57 VW. It didn't have a tach, but had roman numerals on the speedo where the top of each gear redlined. The "I" was at 15mph. The top three gears were synchro, but 1st gear was not. Anything under 15mph and I could downshift into 1st by double clutching that sucker and "snick" it smooth as could be into 1st gear.

My wife and I never had a vehicle with an automatic transmission until I got my F150 in 2013 to tow my Vette to track events. We still have our '70 442 with a Muncie 4-speed that we got new when I graduated from college - and yes, I could power-shift the crap out of it!!! I don't drive it too hard anymore - I save that for the Vette!

So....we're both old school!!!!

However.....we seem to be very different in our acceptance on "nannies"!! I not only accept them, I EMBRACE them, and use them every time I drive my Vette!!!

I LUV stuff like Traction Control, and like Active Handling that might help save my a$$ in a bad situation.

I think the PTM and the eLSD in my C7 Z06 are AMAZING!!!

I've been heel-n-toe downshifting ever since the early days in the '57 Beetle, and for decades I've been rev matching every downshift on my Harleys (and I downshift every car and motorcycle I drive every time I'm slowing down). BUT I THINK AUTO REV MATCHING IN MY C7 IS ONE REALLY COOL FEATURE and it's on every time I start the car!!!!!

Same for Launch Control (I never use it) and the No-Lift-Shift feature. I only use NLS occasionally on roadcourses, but overall, even though I'm an old fart and old school, I really like and use the nannies!!

The following 5 users liked this post by BEZ06:
13brv3 (04-16-2017), Boiler_81 (04-16-2017), Foosh (04-16-2017), pdiddy972 (08-08-2017), woodsguy (08-08-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Like i said . Enjoy your nannies.

Btw i am.old enough to be your father.

Get notified of new replies

To When did the C7 get no-lift shift?

Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Like i said . Enjoy your nannies.

Btw i am.old enough to be your father.
Holy Keerap!!! My dad died at 96 years old a couple years ago!!!

Good on ya'!! Keep those bdays coming and go for 100+!!

Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I started out with a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup as my first vehicle. It was a three speed manual, non assisted brakes and steering. My Dad told me that when I learned to drive it, I could drive anything.

Those who equate the Corvette NLS with the old school power shift don't understand the underlying technology which supports it. I think the technology is amazing.

A one owner 70 442 is very cool. The first car I bought with my own money was a used 70 W-30 442 in 1978. I still have it as well.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I'm an old school guy - probably been driving longer than you have.

I learned to drive in the late '50's on my dad's '57 VW. It didn't have a tach, but had roman numerals on the speedo where the top of each gear redlined. The "I" was at 15mph. The top three gears were synchro, but 1st gear was not. Anything under 15mph and I could downshift into 1st by double clutching that sucker and "snick" it smooth as could be into 1st gear.

My wife and I never had a vehicle with an automatic transmission until I got my F150 in 2013 to tow my Vette to track events. We still have our '70 442 with a Muncie 4-speed that we got new when I graduated from college - and yes, I could power-shift the crap out of it!!! I don't drive it too hard anymore - I save that for the Vette!

So....we're both old school!!!!

However.....we seem to be very different in our acceptance on "nannies"!! I not only accept them, I EMBRACE them, and use them every time I drive my Vette!!!

I LUV stuff like Traction Control, and like Active Handling that might help save my a$$ in a bad situation.

I think the PTM and the eLSD in my C7 Z06 are AMAZING!!!

I've been heel-n-toe downshifting ever since the early days in the '57 Beetle, and for decades I've been rev matching every downshift on my Harleys (and I downshift every car and motorcycle I drive every time I'm slowing down). BUT I THINK AUTO REV MATCHING IN MY C7 IS ONE REALLY COOL FEATURE and it's on every time I start the car!!!!!

Same for Launch Control (I never use it) and the No-Lift-Shift feature. I only use NLS occasionally on roadcourses, but overall, even though I'm an old fart and old school, I really like and use the nannies!!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
...A one owner 70 442 is very cool. The first car I bought with my own money was a used 70 W-30 442 in 1978. I still have it as well.
Very C L indeed!!!!

Mine isn't a W-30. For the '70 model year you couldn't order air conditioning in the manual transmission W-30 - only the auto trans model.

I wanted a 4-speed and A/C, so had to settle for the base 442. It cost us $4,059.01

It's still got the original Rally Red paint, but it's time for me to get the interior redone.

Boiler_81 (04-16-2017)

Quick Reply: When did the C7 get no-lift shift?