C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ggroller
Are you working within a budget?
Yeah I'm trying not to go over 60k if possible
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

If you have to buy new there are still almost 400 brand new 2016 Z51's sitting on dealer lots. With 2018's being built in June you should be able to find some killer deals (like up to 25%+ off MSRP) and I believe they have 0% financing deal.

Otherwise you can probably get into a brand new base Grand Sport (M7) for around $60K depending on taxes.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

I'll throw in the alternative viewpoint for consideration. A base 1LT car is every well equipped and needs nothing more. The NPP is nice if you like to have a loud exhaust, and I did not order it on my C6 (2LT) but I'm glad it came on my C7 (1LT) which I bought out of inventory. I had all of that 2LT stuff on my car and after I'd spent all of that money on it, I realized that it was mostly a waste.

On resale, none of this stuff means much, and by that I mean 2LT, 3LT, Z51, GS, etc. You never get your money back on options.

All of that "go fast" and "performance" stuff that people recommend that you buy will not make you a better or faster driver. The only thing that makes you faster and better is driving schools: on the race track, in your car with an instructor. And that takes years and years and lots of money. Other than in a drag race, someone with years of high performance driving experience in a 1LT Stingray will be faster than a novice in a Z06.

So, buy a 1LT with a manual transmission, and take that $20K that I just saved you on the other stuff and spend it on driving schools. Not only will you be faster, better, safer driver, you will have had loads of fun in the process.
The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I'll throw in the alternative viewpoint for consideration. A base 1LT car is every well equipped and needs nothing more. The NPP is nice if you like to have a loud exhaust, and I did not order it on my C6 (2LT) but I'm glad it came on my C7 (1LT) which I bought out of inventory. I had all of that 2LT stuff on my car and after I'd spent all of that money on it, I realized that it was mostly a waste.

On resale, none of this stuff means much, and by that I mean 2LT, 3LT, Z51, GS, etc. You never get your money back on options.

All of that "go fast" and "performance" stuff that people recommend that you buy will not make you a better or faster driver. The only thing that makes you faster and better is driving schools: on the race track, in your car with an instructor. And that takes years and years and lots of money. Other than in a drag race, someone with years of high performance driving experience in a 1LT Stingray will be faster than a novice in a Z06.

So, buy a 1LT with a manual transmission, and take that $20K that I just saved you on the other stuff and spend it on driving schools. Not only will you be faster, better, safer driver, you will have had loads of fun in the process.
Thats amazing advice. Thank you good sir!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 AM
PANJGUY
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks so much Twowinns for the info - can I ask how much you got it for below what the dealer was asking? I know all dealers price differently, just curious!
Thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by PANJGUY
Thanks so much Twowinns for the info - can I ask how much you got it for below what the dealer was asking? I know all dealers price differently, just curious!
Thanks
You know you can create your own threads right? lol you don't have to spam someone else's.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 AM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Honestly you will get performance out of any Vette, even the base model. That being said, you can get a lot of good value out of a Z51 package, mostly through the magnetic ride suspension, dual mode exhaust, and wheels. I am a minimalist of sorts and was most interested in getting the best value so I opted for a Z51 1LT with a manual transmission. A lot of guys will swear by HUD and their heated/ventilated seats but in all honestly, for $5K I really don't miss that stuff! Unless you can find a smoking deal on a 2LT, there is no reason to have that make or break your choice based upon what I've gathered in your intro post. Additionally, I had it set in my head the exact color combo I wanted - I would take the above poster's advice and narrow down your 2-3 favorite colors and then start shopping for a 2017 Z51. Also, make sure you set aside a couple hundred to swap out the chrome retainer for a Z06 grille Good luck!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by LDYSTIG
Honestly you will get performance out of any Vette, even the base model. That being said, you can get a lot of good value out of a Z51 package, mostly through the magnetic ride suspension, dual mode exhaust, and wheels. I am a minimalist of sorts and was most interested in getting the best value so I opted for a Z51 1LT with a manual transmission. A lot of guys will swear by HUD and their heated/ventilated seats but in all honestly, for $5K I really don't miss that stuff! Unless you can find a smoking deal on a 2LT, there is no reason to have that make or break your choice based upon what I've gathered in your intro post. Additionally, I had it set in my head the exact color combo I wanted - I would take the above poster's advice and narrow down your 2-3 favorite colors and then start shopping for a 2017 Z51. Also, make sure you set aside a couple hundred to swap out the chrome retainer for a Z06 grille Good luck!
After owning numerous Vettes of different generations in configurations from (1) 2LT C5, (1) 2LZ C6Z, (1) 4LT C6GS, and currently own a 1LT C7GS 7M, here's what I learned. I found I never needed or used the features with the other trim levels and it was wasted $$. It never mattered on resale as the buyers were more interested in model (Z06 vs GS vs Vert) and appearance (rims, color, condition). Not one cared if it had heated/cooled seats, Navigation, HUD, etc... So, save your $$ and get only what you will use is my advise.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 PM
slight
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree that buying used is the way to go.
I'm 33 and bought my first ever corvette a month ago.

Certified Pre-Owned
2015 3LT M7 with 7k miles for only 44k

I agree the GS is amazing and would be cool to have, but not at the additional cost.

No one is going to look down on you for not buying new or a non-grand sport. I think the consensus is that a corvette is a corvette.

Whereas if you buy a new Camaro and tell your friends your opted for the 2.0L turbo... well, have fun with that...
Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

For $60k you might be able to find a used Z06.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Ask your parents since they are subsidizing it.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Woodson
Get off my post please. Serious comments only or I report you.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
After owning numerous Vettes of different generations in configurations from (1) 2LT C5, (1) 2LZ C6Z, (1) 4LT C6GS, and currently own a 1LT C7GS 7M, here's what I learned. I found I never needed or used the features with the other trim levels and it was wasted $$. It never mattered on resale as the buyers were more interested in model (Z06 vs GS vs Vert) and appearance (rims, color, condition). Not one cared if ithad heated/cooled seats, Navigation, HUD, etc... So, save your $$ and get only what you will use is my advise.
Awesome advice! Thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
For $60k you might be able to find a used Z06.
True
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by slight
I have to agree that buying used is the way to go.
I'm 33 and bought my first ever corvette a month ago.

Certified Pre-Owned
2015 3LT M7 with 7k miles for only 44k

I agree the GS is amazing and would be cool to have, but not at the additional cost.

No one is going to look down on you for not buying new or a non-grand sport. I think the consensus is that a corvette is a corvette.

Whereas if you buy a new Camaro and tell your friends your opted for the 2.0L turbo... well, have fun with that...
You've got a point! Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 AM
Sp4rks
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

With this being your first corvette, I'm going to go off script and recommend the path I took: buy a used older generation first. Not only is it significantly cheaper, but you will get acquainted with the features you may not even know you want. On top of that, you can track or hoon it to your heart's desire and really get to know the limits of these cars without the fear that you'd potentially break a $60k+ toy (truly, that's what they are) with a repair bill to match. You will also become a better driver. Learning just how low these cars are in everyday situations is no small thing. You'll be much less worried if you kiss a cement parking block in a C5 vs. crushing your brand new $2500 carbon fiber splitter.

Let corvette ownership grow on you, and you along with it. You won't regret it.

Disclosure: I'm 31 and I still own my highly modified C5, along with my brand spanking new '17 GS CE #221.

'99 modified C5, '17 GS CE #221
Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

its all good. buy what you want. get it home and notice the black (brake pad) dust on those 2000 dollar chrome wheels. forget about it. wait awhile, then go and try to clean that black dust off those 2000 dollar chrome wheels. WTF!!! the black dust etches into the chrome when the car is in storage if not cleaned beforehand. sticks like glue. clean it off with alot of elbow grease. Call you broker, buy stock in ArmorAll. Go the auto parts store and buy cases of ArmorAll Outlast Brake Dust Repellent when it is on sale. Forever become an altar boy to the worship of the clean chrome wheel and the proper application of Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellant so it doesn't leave a cloudy dull mist on those 2000 dollar shiny chrome wheels.

Oh, yes, i forget, pay $595 extra for those red-painted calipers so they can highlight the black dust that gets into every nook and cranny of the caliper.

Or, buy black wheels with stock calipers and enjoy your free time on the weekend. Your choice.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 04-26-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..

Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
azz hole comment!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Brohman21
Yeah I'm trying not to go over 60k if possible
You can get a 1LT Grand Sport for high 50's. A touch more than 60 will get you a 2LT.

That's what I would do.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
its all good. buy what you want. get it home and notice the black (brake pad) dust on those 2000 dollar chrome wheels.
Or you can get the wheels you want and buy a set of $130 ceramic pads.

Quick Reply: First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..