C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does almost eveyone put plastic wrap like Xpel etc. on their new C7's? Yes or No ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
If you want to preserve the finish from damage do it. If you don't care then don't spend the money. I think that the vast majority do not even know about PPF let alone use it. I have used it on every vehicle I've owned (for driving) since 2003. It's your call...there will be "haters" and "lovers". Just make sure that the "haters" have had personal experience with PPF for their opinions and not just what they have heard or read. Good luck. No, it's not cheap...neither was your car.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:15 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Well my car is being delivered in first week of June and I am using Xpel Ultimate on the entire hood,front end, front fenders,mirrors ,headlights,door handle area.$1495 total which sounds cheap compared to what I paid for the car. So my vote will be YES!
Dave, you and I have discussed this topic. Absolutely, go with PPF. The material/technology available today far exceeds what was available with the product was first introduced. Most of the products out are very similar in function. The key is a competent, experienced installer.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
I was under the impression that the film was less visible on a white car. Apparently I got some bad information. Scheduled to have Suntek installed on the front bumper 5-22. Now having second thoughts..
The film is invisible on white, it's the edges which you see. But only up close, like 2 feet close. I've got tons of pictures of my car here on the forum or on my Instagram. Mines white with XPEL Ultimate on every painted panel.

Check it out if you have doubts.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
The film is invisible on white, it's the edges which you see. But only up close, like 2 feet close. I've got tons of pictures of my car here on the forum or on my Instagram. Mines white with XPEL Ultimate on every painted panel.

Check it out if you have doubts.
Do you have any close ups of the edges? I don't think I would ever Xpel just for cost reasons but was curious how it looks on arctic white. I get that you can't tell from far away, just wondering what it looks like when you can see it.

Thanks!

Last edited by ColoradoGS; 04-26-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:06 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodvette
Dave, you and I have discussed this topic. Absolutely, go with PPF. The material/technology available today far exceeds what was available with the product was first introduced. Most of the products out are very similar in function. The key is a competent, experienced installer.
I did not have PPF installed on my last 3 Vettes. Each was driven between 30-45K miles. The front bumpers and fog lights on each looked like they were sand blasted when I sold them. The roads where I live get a salt & sand mix during winter and the sand stays for quite some time after the salt is washed away. This sand, coupled with the small stones dropped from the steady stream of dump trucks using our roads here in Virginia cause quite a bit of front end damage.

My friend, who uses this PPF on his Vette, showed me his car after 20K miles and it looked brand new. He drives on the same roads I do. I was sold at that moment. As always, it's your car, your choice.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

No, I just buy the drcolorchip product for the occasional rock chip if any. Most of the reasons for not spending the money on protective wrap have been mentioned.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
Do you have any close ups of the edges? I don't think I would ever Xpel just for cost reasons but was curious how it looks on arctic white. I get that you can't tell from far away, just wondering what it looks like when you can see it.

Thanks!
Let's see how these phone pics look.

One is a "clean edge" on the hood fender line, the other a "dirty edge" on the fender door line.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
ColoradoGS (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:38 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Btw, for comparisons sake this is what a car looks like without XPEL (on my Focus) after 4 years of driving....

And you can tell how clean I keep the paint by my reflection!

It's why my entire C7 is wrapped.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Let's see how these phone pics look.

One is a "clean edge" on the hood fender line, the other a "dirty edge" on the fender door line.
I've used my installer for nearly 15 years. He over runs the pattern a quarter of an inch allowing him to wrap all of the edges. FWIW
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

I can see pro's and con's with white. It's definitely more noticeable, especially up close, than most other colors.
Expel is a little "off" for a white car if you are not wrapping the complete panel. For this reason I now use SunTek film which is VERY clear and not noticeable at all. My installer does both Expel and SunTek but won't do partial coverage on white cars with Expel. they are both excellent products as I have Expel Ultimate on my white diamond tri-coat CTS but it's not a pure white. FWIW.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I have used it on my last four cars but not in my Corvette. Why? Because I will likely keep the car 4-5 years tops and I usually trade in my cars and dealers don't add any extra value to your car if you have it vs not having it. But I totally understand why people do it.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:20 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by justplainjim
I was under the impression that the film was less visible on a white car. Apparently I got some bad information. Scheduled to have Suntek installed on the front bumper 5-22. Now having second thoughts..
You are making the right decision on SunTek if your car is AW. Don't have any second thoughts. You will NOT see the ST on your car...I speak from experience.
justplainjim (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

I've used my installer for nearly 15 years. He over runs the pattern a quarter of an inch allowing him to wrap all of the edges. FWIW
Some edges can't be wrapped due to the compound nature. I'd say probably half of mine are wrapped over. Of the half not maybe 75% of them could be. But the front of the doors is tough to do, even if you do find someone to do that edge they have to "slit" it on the curves at least 1-2 inches. My hatch is done like that, as is my hood.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Some edges can't be wrapped due to the compound nature. I'd say probably half of mine are wrapped over. Of the half not maybe 75% of them could be. But the front of the doors is tough to do, even if you do find someone to do that edge they have to "slit" it on the curves at least 1-2 inches. My hatch is done like that, as is my hood.
I agree with you on "compound corners" only...that is "outside" corners. All edges and inside corners can be wrapped, even a good installer can wrap outside corners - I have them. It takes a lot of time to persuade the film so some won't do it. As always when talking about PPF the installer is the key.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 04-26-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with you on "compound corners" only...that is "outside" corners. All edges and inside corners can be wrapped, even a good installer can wrap outside corners - I have them. It takes a lot of time to persuade the film so some won't do it. As always when talking about PPF the installer is the key.
Well and cost, at that point you are paying for ridiculous amounts of labor. I'd say I could have gotten most of that stuff wrapped, for another $1000.

Things that would be difficult or impossible regardless are the seams on the rear (bumper to quarter panel), side mirrors (in general), rocker panel under and near back of door (this might be doable with a lot of work), front bumper where it meets the hood, the 4 seams from the front bumper to the fenders, the cutouts for the handles (in the quarter panels), the gas door (since it's round) both on the door and on the quarter panel, around the quarter panel vents, the tail lights surround pieces (unless you pop them out), and the aforementioned front of doors (this again might be possible, but it would be quite difficult). Also due to the film you need a film to film seal by both side mirror attachment points and on the rear bumper as you transition from side to back (this one I'd also think impossible to do as one piece).

When I took my car up here in Detroit to an installer for some trim work (as the film can change shape slightly after a few heat cycles), they said that I had more corners wrapped than they would normally do (for example they normally don't do the hood vent as wrap around edged or the fender to hood line, mine is done 90% of the way up). Mines a standard template install from what I understand, which as I said wraps about 50% of the edges and seams.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

When I bought my 09 Coupe I had no idea about the Clear films.
Within months I had numerous chips in the paint.
Put a precut Clear film package on it myself and needless to say it wasn't the best install.
But almost nobody every noticed it and it saved the paint from some big hits over the 25000 miles I drove it.
Especially the time it took a hit to the nose from a piece of 2x4 on the highway.
Had 3/4 of my 2016 covered with Xpel at the Dealership before driving it home.
YMMV

Last edited by Dif; 04-26-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Well and cost, at that point you are paying for ridiculous amounts of labor. I'd say I could have gotten most of that stuff wrapped, for another $1000.

Things that would be difficult or impossible regardless are the seams on the rear (bumper to quarter panel), side mirrors (in general), rocker panel under and near back of door (this might be doable with a lot of work), front bumper where....
I don't disagree with anything you have said here. My point of reference were the areas most commonly done. I totally understand and know that the rear of the 7 is a living nightmare for the best of the installers. My point to anyone that asks is that the installer IS the finish product with this stuff. If you and others are lucky enough to have found great installers (like me) I always share. I am simply amazed at the work mine does...I consider him a "gangster" level professional.

Get notified of new replies

To Does almost eveyone put plastic wrap like Xpel etc. on their new C7's? Yes or No ?

Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

ya know i was all set on doing it, but in 3 years ill probably get another car..mid engine c8? lol... probably wont get an extra 2k on trade
Old 04-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Where are all of you guys driving that necessitates repainting your front end every 2-3 years due to rock chips? For cars up here that aren't driven in the winter (where they'd be subjected to sand and salt blasted onto their cars during those months) we could go 10 years or more before seeing any kind of significant rock chip damage on our front ends. Are you guys driving through rock quarries every day or what???
Corgidog1 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patman
Where are all of you guys driving that necessitates repainting your front end every 2-3 years due to rock chips? For cars up here that aren't driven in the winter (where they'd be subjected to sand and salt blasted onto their cars during those months) we could go 10 years or more before seeing any kind of significant rock chip damage on our front ends. Are you guys driving through rock quarries every day or what???
You never have driven roads and freeways in Metro Detroit obviously.

We have the remains of Winter (small stones and debris) year round. The roads are never totally pristine. I have loose gravel around the cul-de-sac I live on year round as well. Literally I need to go out there with a broom in the spring if I want it clean.

Quick Reply: Does almost eveyone put plastic wrap like Xpel etc. on their new C7's? Yes or No ?