Sponsored by:

Memory Seats - Auto Exit

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 AM
r84boomer66
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Memory Seats - Auto Exit

I can not find where this has been covered. I have 2016 3LT and have memory seats set on auto exit, moving steering wheel out of the way when exiting IF car is shut off. Is there a way to trigger this for when the door is open? Sometimes I exit the car with the car running, like during 1st start up to allow it to warm up, but the steering wheel stays in driving position.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 AM
rovingit
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You should be able to press the exit position switch on the door to activate it while running.
I haven't tried it with the door open, but I have used it to move to the exit position with the car running prior to opening the door.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,665 Likes on 6,658 Posts

Originally Posted by r84boomer66
I can not find where this has been covered. I have 2016 3LT and have memory seats set on auto exit, moving steering wheel out of the way when exiting IF car is shut off. Is there a way to trigger this for when the door is open? Sometimes I exit the car with the car running, like during 1st start up to allow it to warm up, but the steering wheel stays in driving position.
Yep, do it all the time when I get the mail. Have to first hit unlock, then hit the exit button, most forward of the 4 door panel buttons.

PS: FWIW. No need to let the car warm! That is old school. Causes a richer mixture washing combustion products past those cold pistons/rings, does more harm than good. Even the CATs aren't happy! Just put it in gear and drive. Don't make a jackrabbit start and watch the tach colors before hitting redline! Hmm, tell the wife that all the time, but she still does it in her SUV. She came from near Cleveland where it's was really cold in the winter! Oh well she is '74! Oh, so am I but willing to change old ways!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
snow (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM
SFCA1968
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought my 2014 with 6700 miles and I set the seating and exit positions
but when I open the door the seat moves to the seating position not the exit?????
am I setting up something wrong?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep, there are several irrational things in the 2014 seat memory. The one that causes the seat to move to the driving position when you are outside and open the door I refer to as for Superman, who is faster than a speeding bullet!

Been so long since I shut that off but what I do remember is there is a setting that says something logical like return seat when door opens that must be shut to off! Then the seat stays where it is!

Also in the 2014 I had to hold my #! button in to have it go to my memory position. There was a software upgrade in 2015 I did not bother to install. By then I learned to use two hands! I have that option as standard in my new 2017 and it is better. I refer to that as hit the start key twice!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.
RipcordZ51 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:09 AM
SFCA1968
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ahh thanks for the input
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

For any 2014 M7 owners with seat memory issues, there was a service bulletin in in 2014 with a dealer fix. Ask you dealer to refer to PI 1425. This will resolve the issue of the seat moving forward when you open the door. You can then program the seats and the easy exit functions. The parking brake must be on to utilize.
RipcordZ51 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
FWIW, never got what GM called an option as IMO nor apparently in GM's from them calling it an option the software was not a fix just another option. A fix would have been what I had in my C6!

Since I had 2 years before that optional software was offered (now in my 2017 and as I recall was in on 2016's,) I learned a faster method to start the car.

That foolish move to the memorized driving position when the car door is opened can just be shut off, as I did from following a forum post in October 2013 when I got mine.

By the time the "optional software" came out, I had learned a faster way to start the car. I didn't waste a right hand movement to hit the start button to have the seat move to the memorized position. I used it to grab my seat belt when the seat was back, much easier to reach the buckle when it's back. I chuckle when I see folks complaining about the guide not working as they can't reach the seat belt with the seat forward. That guide is only for short folks as defined in the manual.

While I was pulling the belt over to buckle, I simultaneously pressed my #1 button with a finger on my left hand. Sure a bit awkward at first but after 2 years it became 2nd nature. It's my DD so quick starts are important.

However I admit my new Grand Sport has the push the start button twice option (M7.). I am using it but it does take an extra, slower move sequence. I have to completely buckle my seat belt with my right hand when I get in. Then I push the start button with the right hand that just buckled the belt, can't have it moving simultaneously as when I use the two hand approach. Push once to have the seat move to my #1 position, then depress the clutch and push it again to start the car. Waste of movement and time. Fred Taylor is turning over in his grave!

But wife tells me I'm getting old and should slow done. After 74 years at this speed, don't think so!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-04-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM
r84boomer66
Advanced

Well I tried hitting the seat exit button both with door closed and door open and it does nothing. Is there a way to trigger the seat movement with the opening of the door vs starting the car? That would solve the problem of the steering wheel in the way when trying to exit with the car running.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

^^^ Check "That Cute Ginger" on YouTube. Got mine programmed right.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-09-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Well I tried hitting the seat exit button both with door closed and door open and it does nothing. Is there a way to trigger the seat movement with the opening of the door vs starting the car? That would solve the problem of the steering wheel in the way when trying to exit with the car running.
Have you actually programmed the seat exit button? You have to put the steering wheel and seat to the desired exit position and then program the exit button. Be careful not to put the seat all the way back or you will hit the seat limit button which causes a new set of problems.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I tried hitting the seat exit button both with door closed and door open and it does nothing. Is there a way to trigger the seat movement with the opening of the door vs starting the car? ..
Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Have you actually programmed the seat exit button? You have to put the steering wheel and seat to the desired exit position and then program the exit button. Be careful not to put the seat all the way back or you will hit the seat limit button which causes a new set of problems.
Hmm, I was wondering the same thing. In the 2104 in addition to having to program the seat and exit position you have to hold the button in.

The original owner may have had the "optional" software added. I didn't on my 2014 I just sold. The only way to get my seat to move to the set position was to keep the button pressed until it's fully in position.

Not quite sure of the OP's question but when I opened the door to get out it automatically went to the programmed exist position.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:23 AM
r84boomer66
Advanced

OK I will try to clear up any confusion.
My auto seats work fine EXCEPT when exiting the car with the engine running, then they do NOT move.
I am wanting the seats to move to the exit position if exiting the vehicle while the engine is running.
Is it possible to have the seat to move to exit position WITH the engine running, if so how?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 AM
rovingit
Instructor

^^^^ If you press and hold (long press) the exit button (assuming it is programmed), it should move the seat while the engine is running.
I tried it out while updating the NAV yesterday. holding (long press) any of the position buttons should move the seat to the programmed position, engine on or off.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-09-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

OK I will try to clear up any confusion.
My auto seats work fine EXCEPT when exiting the car with the engine running, then they do NOT move.
I am wanting the seats to move to the exit position if exiting the vehicle while the engine is running.
Is it possible to have the seat to move to exit position WITH the engine running, if so how?
Thanks for making your issue clear!
NO not automatically with the engine running! In fact I can see why as it could be unsafe!
As I said I do that all the time when I get the mail out of the mailbox in front of the house. With my M7 (not sure it's the same with an automatic) I first have to press the unlock button, then I push the exit button with the door open or closed. When I get back in I hold my #1 button.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-09-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM
rovingit
Instructor

Because my curiosity got the better of me...I confirmed this morning that the long press will work to move the seats WHILE THE CAR IS IN MOTION !
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

^^^ Tried mine it does work with engine running

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-09-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Memory Seats - Auto Exit

Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Tomljanovich
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Auto memory seat problem

I tried to set the memory seat to have it retract and the steering wheel lift when I shut the engine and get out of the car. Get back to my favorite setting when I get in. Should not have to do anything like pushing buttons in the door. Dealer set it from the center informative display. Did not last more than an hour. Went back to dealer who reset it. Failed within a week.
My everyday car is a Mercedes CLS where exit position of seat and wheel is set automatically and favorite driving position is set when you get in and start car. It never fails and driver need not do anything. It is not rocket science so why can't GM get it right!!
All other messages I saw refer having to hit the door buttons. That is manual control not the automatic control!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I have a 2016 Z51. GM sent out a email to owners on " how to program" memory seats, and easy exit feature.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tomljanovich
I tried to set the memory seat to have it retract and the steering wheel lift when I shut the engine and get out of the car. Get back to my favorite setting when I get in. Should not have to do anything like pushing buttons in the door. Dealer set it from the center informative display. Did not last more than an hour. Went back to dealer who reset it. Failed within a week.
My everyday car is a Mercedes CLS where exit position of seat and wheel is set automatically and favorite driving position is set when you get in and start car. It never fails and driver need not do anything. It is not rocket science so why can't GM get it right!!
All other messages I saw refer having to hit the door buttons. That is manual control not the automatic control!!!
Depends on the year of your Vette!

My September 2013 built C7 and through at least half way into 2015 there was no option for a standard shift car other than to hold the number button in until the seat, steering wheel, mirrors got to the preset position. Note my C6 operated with a single push of the desired memory button. For whatever reason (proably by mistake) the C7 did not!

From day one I always had my 3LT seats (same as 2LT) go to the programmed exit position when: 1) the engine was off, 2) parking brake on - AS SOON AS I OPENED THE DOOR!

There was a software option that was incorporated in the 2016 and later Vettes and available for the dealer to install in 2014/15's, that for standard shift cars required you to push the start button twice (unless you could depress the clutch and start the car from the exit position-most can't.)

The first push of the start button puts the seat/wheel/mirrors in the position of the FOB in the drivers possession. However to start the car you must depress the clutch and then press the start button again.

If the car is running, which the OP asked, in a standard shift (perhaps automatic as well) you must first unlock the door by pressing the door open button (at least I do as all my doors lock when I drive.) Then you have to depress the programmed exit key. Opening the door with the car running will not have it go to the exit position as it does when the engine is off.

That is how my 2014 and my new Grand Sport work.

FWIW

Last edited by JerryU; 05-09-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Memory Seats - Auto Exit