Sponsored by:

Required new Corvette post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Required new Corvette post!

It is probably a little late for me to post the new to the forum thing since I've been asking questions here for months. But I had a successful (and awesome) museum delivery so I thought I'd give a review of how all that went in addition to the car itself. This is from the point of view of a first time Corvette buyer if that helps frame the comments.

Museum Delivery
As I already said the experience was great but I was surprised that the plant tour was the best part of the day. I could have stayed 15 minutes at each station and just watched as John (my guide for the day) described the details. All the workers were so happy to be there I wouldn't have been shocked if there had been a Disney-esque song break.

The rest of the day was good as well. I could have done without a few things--the hard sell on merchandise and the announcement/clapping on the drive out--but overall it was completely worth it.

The tour of the vehicle features was more useful than I expected. I had already downloaded the manual and read through things more than I'd like to admit but I learned a bunch in person. John had yet another way to close the hood. The mystique about the "right way" to do that will never end.

Hats off to MacMulkin (and PenFed). I was initially a little worried about using a NH dealer and a WI credit union to pick up a car in KY and drive it back to CO but the process could not have gone any smoother. MacMulkin had the best price, FedEx'ed all the paper work including return FedEx envelopes, Jessy was always happy to answer any questions, and there were no add on charges like dealer doc or advertising fees. I have an almost irrational hatred of "dealer doc fees" and to not even have to argue them away was a pleasure.

The Drive Back
I drove from the NCM up to OH to show my family before driving home to CO. In no particular order...

People are hyper-aggressive around Corvettes. I was taking it easy during the break-in period and giving lots of room behind 18-wheelers out of fear of paint chips and many people would ride my rear bumper. I had Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers pace me and try to get me to drag. I was not expecting that.

On a happier note the car attracts a crazy amount of positive attention. I think had someone come up to me or roll down their window and yell something at every rest area, gas station, or restaurant. And in reference to the now infamous "pick up chicks" thread, every single comment I got was from a male. I did have a mom pull up behind me at a red light and her daughter pulled out her cell phone to take a video of me driving away. That made me

From OH to western IL it rained pretty much non-stop. I used weather mode when it was really raining and played with PTM/wet when the roads were wet but it wasn't actually raining. The car stuck to the road like glue. I think it would have been more interesting if I had the Z07 package and the Cup 2 tires. But overall I no longer have any fears driving in the rain, at least above 40 degrees.

I got my oil changed at 939 miles in KC at Hendrick Chevrolet at the advice of several people on the forums and specifically Alex Fults on the recommendation of our fearless moderator Mr. Bell. As soon as Alex heard Steve's name it almost became like an extension of the museum delivery. They put the car up on a scissor lift and then Alex walked me out to it. I stood in the pit and the tech showed me how to drain the oil, showed me the Mobil 1 directly in the cans, and ran through the procedure to make sure the oil wasn't overfilled. I told Alex I would use them for my maintenance if I didn't live a day's drive away. If anyone needs a Corvette serviced in KC, I highly recommend Hendrick.

Even post-break in and post-oil change I didnt get to exercise the car much. I think half of the traffic on the toll road between Kansas City and Topeka was state troopers either in the process of writing tickets, in the median in a speed trap, or just driving looking for speeders. The rest of KS and CO wasn't much better. For example on I-70 when I crossed into CO, there were speed traps set up 1, 2 and 4 miles in.

I tried out eco mode once the weather cleared. I didn't record numbers but it gives a dramatic improvement in mileage. However, if you've driven it before, from KS to CO is basically a gradual incline across both states. In 7th gear the car struggled on the hills so I ended up in 5th more often than not. I didn't buy it to get good mileage but it is nice to know you can get it if you need to make it to the next station in a rural area.

After 1500+ miles I pulled into my driveway covered in bugs. I immediately washed the car and am happy to report there were no chips in the paint or damage to the windshield. I still have to research options like SunTek and ceramic coatings but I was very happy nothing happened on the drive home.

The Car
Overall the car itself has far exceeded my expectations and given I have been dreaming of my first Corvette for 30ish years that is a strong statement.

Mechanically everything works and works extremely well. There is no doubt every time I drive it that it is 10x the car than I am a driver. I cannot wait to learn with it and feel humbled and privileged that not just my first Corvette but my first sports car is this Grand Sport.

I posted previously about my color indecision. All that melted away when I saw it in person. The colors do look different in person than in pictures and I saw examples of all of them while at the museum. Black Rose is sharper in person than in pictures. Racing Yellow is exceptional and probably my new second choice. Admiral Blue (my previous 2nd choice) didn't pop as much as I expected. But it was all about Arctic White and have zero doubts on my color choice now. I realize this is personal preference but knowing I made the right call is a good feeling.

The same can be said for option choices. I am very happy with the M7. I didn't miss the nav or the heritage package. The two-tone red/black interior is as sharp as I hoped it would be and the red is a true red.

If I have any criticisms it is with MyLink, the DIC, and all the user interfaces in general. If I am being generous they are just adequate. Many things are not intuitive and the manual can be vague in places where details would be welcome. I swear the car has either honked or chimed at me for a different reason multiple times every day. It feels impossible to know why it is actually alerting since there are so many reasons it does.

Android Auto worked relatively well. Navigation was accurate and music via Google Play was seamless. There are a few nits of course. If you are in Android Auto it doesn't switch to the front camera when you shift to first and are going less than 5 mph. You have to hit the home screen and then select the camera manually. I hope they keep improving it but even as it stands I don't mind using it.

Thank you to the many people here who answered my numerous questions. I couldn't be happier. A big Corvette to y'all.

The following 9 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
Acenines3 (08-16-2017), Godsvett (08-16-2017), joemessman (05-08-2017), Len44 (05-08-2017), Maxie2U (05-07-2017), pdiddy972 (05-08-2017), Rebel Yell (05-08-2017), ScottTz (05-08-2017), twowinns (05-07-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2017, 05:46 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Congrats on your first Vette. Sharp looking. Good narrative.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:47 PM
ttay3
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
Congrats on your first Vette. Sharp looking. Good narrative.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:48 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Dam man of few words. Congrats love the AW same as mine.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Z51Tim
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Daddy like,,,,,
Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful looking Corvette GS.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats to you from a "C6 lurker"....the museum delivery of my brand new 2005 C6 was one of the best days of my life.....plant tour, museum delivery and dealer participation ( Kerbeck ) was fantastic! Glad you enjoyed your day! PS: I had the same wet drive back to Pa...was covered in bugs and worm bodies!!!!

Old 05-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,544 Likes on 527 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Looks great. Enjoy - I know we've both posted on the 4/17 TPW thread and I just got mine too. Just in time for the great weather!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:40 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Congrats! And what is the "other way" to close the hood?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:09 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Great story and information, and congrats. on the great looking C7 GS coupe!

Last edited by rkj427; 05-07-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks great and happy you got two tone red interior...a pic would be a good addition...I have two tone red in my Blade Silver base...I sold that and ordered a GS in same colors = Blade and two tone red.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:14 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Very nicely done! You obviously took your time with your selection process and went "all in" with regard to the vehicle specs and museum tour/delivery. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. These are amazing cars and the Grand Sport is the best of the bunch (bias alert here!). Enjoy your time with it and look forward to many memory making moments ahead of you!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Congrats on your first Corvette. Great write up. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is a real pleasure to read how you enjoy and are proud of your Corvette.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 PM
jonesaut
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent write up. Car looks good Congras on making your choice. I am now looking forward to my visit at the museum. Very good write up.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Vettdetta
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on your first Corvette! Great story as well!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Congrats! And what is the "other way" to close the hood?
OK, so after John showed me around under the hood, I closed it myself using the "let it fall from about a foot" method. The driver side did not latch. I went to press it down and he said never, ever do that as it can cause the hood to go out of alignment.

Instead he had me press the hood release and raise the hood again. He then showed on the hood grill how the last cross piece was flush against the hood and quite stiff. He lowered the hood by pushing on that cross member (with a microfiber cloth--he was quite careful never to leave a fingerprint). He said the resistance would go from stiff to loose. When he felt it go loose he gave it a gentle but quick push. It closed and both sides did indeed latch.

I don't know if it is necessary but it definitely worked and didn't seem violent or somehow damaging.
The following users liked this post:
millpond (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,250 Posts

One of the best write ups I have read on the forum.

Welcome to the Corvette family and congratulations
The following users liked this post:
ColoradoGS (05-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Required new Corvette post!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 PM
geo2000
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 111 Posts

^
Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Great write up, loved it. When I first got my Corvette a guy in a F-150 said, "I'm a Ford guy, but that is one badass car." Couldn't agree more. At Spring Mtn right now for the Ron Fellows HPDE tomorrow and next day. Nobody that buys a Corvette should not take advantage of this opportunity. All I can say is oh boy, very impressed just looking over the complex.

Enjoy your vette, it is beautiful.

Denny
Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: Required new Corvette post!