Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage flooring....RaceDeck or epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,026 Likes on 5,379 Posts

When we moved into our new house I had a local Custom Garage Company cover the floor with Industrial Epoxy. I wanted something like they use in commercial garages and said it had to be able to hold up to brake fluid, hot tires, brake clean, oil, etc. For a 25 foot long two car garage the price came to $2300. We closed on the house at noon on a Friday and drove directly to the house where the contractor was waiting for us. The ground down the new floor to get rid of all of the swirls, painted the concrete edges around the floor and then laid the first coat of epoxy, they came back the next day and laid the second coat and sprinkled chips into the surface to give it some texture. That was 3.5 years ago and the floor has been doing great. Lots of stuff has spilled or been dropped on it and other than a few spots where the finish dulled a little it is holding up great. It has had heavy stuff dragged across it on narrow hand truck wheels and has done fine.

Bill
Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Z51Tim
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like the epoxy,,,if your floor is in decent shape
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Hillbilly65
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I used an epoxy finish. Been down since 2013. I just sweep and mop once or twice a month. It is very slick when wet though.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Same thing

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When we moved into our new house I had a local Custom Garage Company cover the floor with Industrial Epoxy. I wanted something like they use in commercial garages and said it had to be able to hold up to brake fluid, hot tires, brake clean, oil, etc. For a 25 foot long two car garage the price came to $2300. We closed on the house at noon on a Friday and drove directly to the house where the contractor was waiting for us. The ground down the new floor to get rid of all of the swirls, painted the concrete edges around the floor and then laid the first coat of epoxy, they came back the next day and laid the second coat and sprinkled chips into the surface to give it some texture. That was 3.5 years ago and the floor has been doing great. Lots of stuff has spilled or been dropped on it and other than a few spots where the finish dulled a little it is holding up great. It has had heavy stuff dragged across it on narrow hand truck wheels and has done fine.

Bill
This sounds like a exact, I mean exact what I did on my floors 3.5 years ago. I have a 33/4 garages, the 3/4 is for my took chest. This the second vette purchase since put the floor in and it is great. My floor also cost $2,300.00 and he did exact same thing. When it gets wet I don't even slide down, and I am 78 years young. What a story, same thing. I not sure where your live, but I live in the Panhandle of Texas and love those floors. After building the home, everyone want to see the garage floors instead of the home. What a deal.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:58 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 403 Posts

Vinyl peel and stick tiles. Less than $400 for a two car garage. Just cleaned and dried the concrete and installed in a few hours.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
03ki11er (03-30-2023)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:15 AM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts

Swisstrax and do the corvette logo
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I suggest forget epoxy and research polyaspartic floor coating. The installer will machine grind the concrete to give the proper tooth for the coating.
My current house came with RaceDeck tiles, probably about 10 years old, stained, dirty, smelly and they make a lot of noise when you walk or drive over them. I cleaned them the best I could, but they still looked old.

Finally, I took them all up and had the garage professionally painted; they ground down the concrete, filled the cracks, and it looks fabulous. Any stains are easily cleaned, the tires don't stick, no lifting, no regrets.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM
aquavettes
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

SwissTrax. Easy to install, no clacking sound when walked on, no problem with snow melt or sand build up, easy to clean. Looks great.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I've heard of people putting a felt or some kind of sound deadening mat under the Race Deck tiles to make them quiet to walk on.

Does that work?
Racedeck flooring does not make noise when walking on it. Absolutely no need for sound deadening!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by capecodvette:
Blackbird13 (04-03-2023), wmupaprmkr (04-03-2019)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I put race deck down two years ago and have been very happy with it. I like the way it looks, it's tough and I use my jack on it all the time. So far so good!
wmupaprmkr (04-03-2019)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:40 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I just did epoxy myself. It wasn't hard at all. My dog running through it sucked, but it came out nice in the end.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,502 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodvette
Racedeck flooring does not make noise when walking on it. Absolutely no need for sound deadening!!!!
Ah. So Racedeck's bottom surface is quiet? Does it come padded?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:27 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

$3.50 / ft. from Race Deck........ Have to think about that a bit.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM
mjpcowboy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had epoxy done 12 years ago not one issue. The key is in the prep and product used
blue max (05-18-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:20 PM
BigTree
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
I did SWISSTRAX Ribtrax product. Love it !!!

I liked this product better than RaceDeck as it was thicker and with the open pattern, you couldn't see through to the concrete floor nearly as easy.

If using a jack, and / or jackstands you will need to put a piece of plywood or something similar between the jack and the flooring.

Super easy..... stays clean on it's own. Always looks brand new. I run the shop vac over it once or twice a year and it picks up all the sand, etc that drops between the open areas of the vented tiles. i can walk out in the garage with socks on and they don't pick up any dirt or stuff. Any rain runoff, or snow melt falls through the open slots and runs out the door. Can be easily pulled up in pieces, or large sections to power wash if you so desire, although I have not found the need to do so in the 1 and a half years I've had my floor down.

Nice, looks good. How did you come up with the design?

Thanks...
Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,381 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our garage floor is prestressed concrete slabs with a ~2" topping poured over them, there is an unfinished room beneath so we need to make the floor water tight, which it is no longer (35 yrs old) because of tiny cracks and some flaking/spalling in the top layer.

Understanding that we will need to have the top layer repaired to get reasonably smooth, what should we use to make the floor water proof? Between expansion/contraction from temperature changes, and minor flexing from the cars going in and out, I don't think any kind of paint/epoxy will have the flexibility to avoid small cracks after a few years.

The choices seem to be epoxy (I don't trust it), watertight tiles (expensive) or just a couple of big rubber mats trimmed to exact fit and joints sealed.

Suggestions?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 AM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Thinking of going this route.......Polyaspartic Coatings. Google it and there seems to be a lot of support for it. We shall see.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage flooring....RaceDeck or epoxy?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,053 Posts

pictures of my DIY garage floor (epoxy)

I used these people

Amazon Amazon

Id suggest getting 2x the 3 gallon system. No way a single 3 gallon system will cover a whole 2 car garage.

they claim:

Impact Resistance, flexible, scratch resistant
will never peel off from the heat of hot car tire marks
when fully cured will not crack and break
100% solids
is Zero VOC & VOHAP Free. UV resistant

Including buying materials and tools to do it (I had none of them) it cost me about $500 and probably 8 hours over a week long period.
2 hours of pressure washer
2 hours of pouring etching chemical and brushing it
2 hours of pressure washing again (I had bad oil spots)
2 hours of mixing and pouring
And that's being very generous and taking my sweet sweet time.

I guess another 3 hours if you want to count cleaning the garage out and doing spring cleaning

Last edited by village idiot; 05-11-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 AM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default VCT tile

I did epoxy on my last garage, still holding up after 20 years, but hated the slippery floor. Just did VCT tile last month on this garage. Only cost was $300. The key for both is prep. Pressure wash scrap, TSP, fill holes, acid etch.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Dr Man
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I did the epoxy floor in 2003. I did a real good job on the preparation, but everything wears out over time. In 2013 it had worn out and didn't look good anymore. I sanded the floor down, and did it again. It was okay for about two years, then it really looked bad. So I went with Race Deck. I love the way it looks, not crazy about the "clomp-clomp" noise when you're walking on it. If I had it to do again, I would have the floor professionally ground, and epoxy coated again.

03ki11er (03-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Garage flooring....RaceDeck or epoxy?