Sponsored by:

Garage flooring....RaceDeck or epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:56 PM
scottjays
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I have epoxy. Was done to a brand new garage floor (new addition) and even with proper prep new Virgin surface and the epoxy still lifted. I didn't start parking a car on it for more than a year and it didn't matter. The hot sticky summer tires just tore it up exactly where the tread touched. So when I noticed that I out 4 pieces if carpet down.

I would do race deck if I could do it over. Now I just leave it be. But I'm also not jacking up my car in the garage.

hope that helps.
I live in South FL...installed Epoxy on clean acid washed concrete...took time to do it right.... multiple coats...wore well for 5 years...now the epoxy def lifted in all areas where vehicles parked consistently on tire tread...would not do again
Old 05-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,026 Likes on 5,379 Posts

When my Epoxy was put on the floor the first thing the company did was grind the brand new floor flat and then clean it. Almost 4 years later the Epoxy is still going strong despite having brake fluid, oil, coolant, brake cleaner and Prepsol on it. Race Deck doesn't seem to have the durability I would want. I definitely don't see it being used in commercial repair facilities but I do see a lot of them with Epoxy floors.

Bill
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 AM
scotzz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ea327
Vinyl peel and stick tiles. Less than $400 for a two car garage. Just cleaned and dried the concrete and installed in a few hours.
Looks good............how long have you had these down?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by scotzz
Looks good............how long have you had these down?
Almost a year.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,091 Likes on 601 Posts

We moved to SW Florida and bought a fore closure house that needed a lot of work. One thing we did was paint the garage, added 6 four foot lights and epoxied the floor. It holds up well and when I've had some paint or other stains I use a little "Goof Off" and water to clean it up. I'd do it again. Just saying.

BEFORE:

AND AFTER:

Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I suggest forget epoxy and research polyaspartic floor coating. The installer will machine grind the concrete to give the proper tooth for the coating.

I have the Costco MotoFloor tiles. They are made by Racedeck as a low end product for Costco. Materials are the same, the tiles just don't have as many "bumps" or design on the surface.

Do your research to figure out what is best for you.
Do they make noise when you walk on them? Some say they do. What is your experience?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Where did you get the flag on the wall?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,091 Likes on 601 Posts

The flag I got from Amazon.
The following users liked this post:
tbasco 6 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Spike5
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

RaceDeck complete. I would define this project as a learning experience. Alloy tiles were much more difficult to install (vs the graphite and red). RaceDeck folks had no explanation. Maybe a bad batch? Anyway, once I figured out the easiest way to install, the project was pretty straight forward.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Spike5
Advanced

Jake all nestled in!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Spike5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spike5

RaceDeck complete. I would define this project as a learning experience. Alloy tiles were much more difficult to install (vs the graphite and red). RaceDeck folks had no explanation. Maybe a bad batch? Anyway, once I figured out the easiest way to install, the project was pretty straight forward.
Oh, and the RaceDeck video showing children stepping on the tiles and snapping them in......no way. Buy yourself a nice rubber/plastic mallet.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:21 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

So I had Race Deck at my last house. This time I wanted to et away from the plastic feel and sound so we'll see how this coating does. epoxy base then chips then clear polyaspartic top coat.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Da Hawk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 46 Posts

I had epoxy in my last 2 home garages and don't want to go that route again.

Currently, I'm in the pre-planning stages of designing my two-car garage. I've painted the walls a bluish-gray and the ceiling white. I plan on laying down RaceDeck's TuffShield on the floor in the same pattern as in the photo below. I also will install diamondLife's anodized aluminum diamond plate halfway up the walls (blue chair rail, platinum walls, and black base molding).

Last edited by Da Hawk; 05-30-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 746 Likes on 379 Posts

I first bought my Race Deck about 16 years ago for my second home garage, easy install.

Then when I move to Scottsdale fulltime I just move the Race Deck to that home in the small garage. I did the epoxy in large garage so I have both right now.

I would suggest not getting white tiles as they after years become very hard to almost impossible to clean. What I found from the epoxy was when I parked a car on it in the summer sometime the sticky tires would peal the epoxy when I drove away. But the epoxy is as easy or easier to clean than the Race Deck.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Classic Garage Flooring Custom Job

I actually had this flooring done 3 years ago when we built our home.... turns out to be a great "duo" color match with our '63 and '15 we just bought.... very durable and only available in limited markets.... so far...LK

PS... you will see our '63 and the 'Black '74 I just sold on his site "gallery" and he also uses them on the wraps for his trucks and show material... also several other later 'Vettes from Prescott area!!

http://www.classicgarageinc.com

Last edited by lennykoll; 06-26-2017 at 11:46 AM.
40flier (07-18-2021)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
firemon
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

Race deck, installed in 2007 still no problems except for the neighbors staring when they pass by.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by aerobaticflyer
So I had Race Deck at my last house. This time I wanted to et away from the plastic feel and sound so we'll see how this coating does. epoxy base then chips then clear polyaspartic top coat.

I personally prefer the epoxy/metallic coatings over plastics etc... I just wish the builders had not put the seams in my floor.... missed that spec when building the house....LK

Get notified of new replies

To Garage flooring....RaceDeck or epoxy?

Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Trihawk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aerobaticflyer

I have this "salt and pepper" epoxy. I would never get it again. I do a lot of work in my garage, and when you drop a nut, screw, or washer, it blends right in and is tough to find. A uniform color without the speckles would have been better for me.
-
Old 06-28-2017, 05:02 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Trihawk
I have this "salt and pepper" epoxy. I would never get it again. I do a lot of work in my garage, and when you drop a nut, screw, or washer, it blends right in and is tough to find. A uniform color without the speckles would have been better for me.
-
Yeh that is why I went to metallic solid with red "splashes" matching my '63 ( see a couple of posts up)... I had the speckled in my previous house and it was pita TO FIND ANYTHING AND FRANKLY WAS HARDER TO KEEP CLEAN..... IMHO anyway...LK
Old 06-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Chadrad
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I put TrueLock HD Free Flow over the top of my deteriorating epoxy floor. Epoxy was on the floor when I purchased the house and it was in bad shape. I have no idea of how it was installed or what product was used but I had no interest in going the epoxy route again. The grinding mess and days without use of my garage didn't sound very appealing.

Besides the fact that it looks fantastic, I was able to install about 800 sqft by myself in less than 8 hours including all edge cuts and trims at the cost of about $2.50 sqft. The Free Flow tiles are extremely quiet to walk on unlike solid tiles and can withstand vehicle rolling loads in excess of 36,000 lbs. Water, melting snow, dirt/debris falls through leaving a dry and clean surface to walk on. No more tracking debris into the house. Channels on the underside allow water to flow to a drain or it will evaporate just as it did before tile was installed. Routine cleaning is accomplished with a shop vac or power wash for deep cleaning where the car parks, or I can simply unsnap complete sections and slide out to the driveway for power washing. If I ever moved, I could also take the floor with me. It was really an easy decision for me.
Attached Images     
blkvet6 (06-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Garage flooring....RaceDeck or epoxy?