Sponsored by:

Paint defect, new Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
I don't agree its the gap. The gap on mine is tight, like the red car, and no paint flaking, rubbing, etc. It's either bad paint prep, or excess paint build up affecting cure.
Again. You can see by the look that it is a gap issue maybe there is very slight movement in the panels and since they are so close chipping begins to occure. If it was a paint spray problem defect in paint would never look like chipping. The key word here is CHIP
Old 05-22-2017, 11:03 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
The easiest (& correct) fix would be for GM to address the issue in the first place. It's clearly a gap issue with adjoining panels touching.
Seeing the pictures posted on this forum, it's blatantly obvious these cars should never be leaving the factory with that happening.
You are 100% correct the photos show it is obviously gap. Spray problems would never look like that. Also if it were a paint issue it would not occur on multiple vehicles. If dealer does not understand that they will paint fix it and the chipping will start again
Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM
favrefan2k4
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
You are 100% correct the photos show it is obviously gap. Spray problems would never look like that. Also if it were a paint issue it would not occur on multiple vehicles. If dealer does not understand that they will paint fix it and the chipping will start again
Yep, I know from experience here. My dealer is currently working with Chevy HQ to see what is going on since they tried to fix it once and it only last 50 miles before peeling again. It seems these are starting to become more and more prevalent now, so hopefully GM has a good "fix" ready soon.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by favrefan2k4
Yep, I know from experience here. My dealer is currently working with Chevy HQ to see what is going on since they tried to fix it once and it only last 50 miles before peeling again. It seems these are starting to become more and more prevalent now, so hopefully GM has a good "fix" ready soon.
Same here.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnoldZO6
This is incorrect as I have seen multiple C7s with proper gapping in that area where a credit card may fit.. These are not supposed to be touching. I am seeing a lot of 17 model cars touching and most 16 not.
my car is super tight in all 4 of those areas. I have zero paint chipping there at 1400 miles. This is why I still believe it to be a prep issue. Paint is not adhering well enough so that tight gap is popping it. All 4 yrs have this issue.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:04 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

As far as "replacing" questions, that's pure wishful thinking. Dealers have their own body shops for a reason. Only in the rarest occasion will they get a part pre-painted, and an entire bumper doesn't fit the rarest occasion category.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:31 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

My gaps are super tight too. I wouldn't want gaps you could put a credit card in. I walked away from vette's that looked that way. I have 6500 miles with tight gaps and no issue. Also when you look at the photo of the gray car, look to the left and see the gap is tighter than where the paint peeling is happening.

Last edited by djnice; 05-22-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
thank you. The owner of the body shop is a vette guy, so i'm confident it will come out great.
Where are you getting it done?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Larry M
Where are you getting it done?
I took it to Paramus and they outsource it locally.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:39 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default gaps

Originally Posted by CP
I don't think this is a paint defect. This is a gap problem on assembly.
You see the workers with what looks like a feeler gauge toward the end of the assembly line. I wonder how many get rejected or should be rejected
My car was ok
Old 05-23-2017, 02:45 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

If it was a gap issue .. the paint would be coming off both panels .. it seems like it always comes off the bumper cover .. its a paint adhesion or curing issue. Plus .. the paint should be wearing through if it was a gap issue ... not sliding off like somebody put some paint stripper on it.

Does anyone know if the bumper covers are painted in-house or outsourced ??

Last edited by dmhines; 05-23-2017 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 03:16 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

My DIY instincts kicked in today and I decided to try a quick fix with hopes of at least making an improvement in my paint flaw. Confidence in my painting prowess is high right now after bravely painting my garage recently, but try this at your own risk.

First, I carefully cleaned the gap around the chipped area with a single-edged razor blade. Then I masked a very narrow area around the gap with blue painter's tape, grabbed a can of Duplicolor Torch Red paint I had lying around, and sprayed a small amount in the cap (not the gap). I first tried a flat toothpick to apply some paint around the chips, but after doing it over twice I decided a round, more pointed toothpick would work better, which it did.

Fast forward about an hour and several more tries, I think I'm happy with the result. It isn't as flawless as right side but I would suggest it is better than before. BTW there is a gap around the chipped area, so the chips likely weren't caused by the fender and bumper making contact--that is unless those panels are moving while driving. Maybe the factory installer guiding the left-side panels wasn't as careful as the guy on the right.

I firmed up the paint with a hair drier and cleaned up the new gap with first the razor blade and then my fingernail, carefully pushing them into the gap. I didn't try masking a larger area and hitting that very small section with the spray can, but that might work, too--maybe better. Close up it isn't as pristine as the right side and wouldn't satisfy a hardcore perfectionist, but from a normal viewing distance you'd be pressed to see the imperfections. If you plan on getting a dealer to fix yours as a last resort I wouldn't suggest messing with it, though.
Attached Images  

Last edited by iclick; 05-23-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Nice job. Is your car out of warranty? Was the dealer not able to fix it?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:39 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Nice job. Is your car out of warranty? Was the dealer not able to fix it?
No, it's a 2017. I wouldn't want a dealer body shop attempt to fix something this minor, especially if they had to repaint larger areas of the bumper and/or fender and potentially screw something else up. My philosophy is to let dealers touch my car as little as possible.

Last edited by iclick; 05-23-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Too bad it happened, but good job fixing it yourself. A couple other things people can do for adhesion is lightly sand and wash with some type of cleaning prep.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iclick
No, it's a 2017. I wouldn't want a dealer body shop attempt to fix something this minor, especially if they had to repaint larger areas of the bumper and/or fender and potentially screw something else up. My philosophy is to let dealers touch my car as little as possible.
Around here, the dealers have independent body shops that they outsource to, so the dealer isn't doing the actual work. Also, the work is guaranteed for the life of the car, so for me, if the fix works, i'm good, and if it doesn't, they have to keep fixing it until it is good.

I would be concerned that by trying to fix it yourself, that it somehow negatively impact it being covered under warranty, but that's just a guess, I have no idea.

Good luck with your fix, I hope it's permanent .
Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

I spoke with the owner of the body shop today and here's what they did:

He first tried to touch it up, but after it dried etc, it just didn't look great. So they removed the front fascia, sprayed color on the 2 chipped areas only, but sprayed clear on the entire fascia. He said it's the right way to do it, and it came out great. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

Last edited by Thunder22; 12-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.
robertbruce (05-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint defect, new Z06

Old 05-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

He first tried to touch it up, but after it dried etc, it just didn't look great. So they removed the front fascia, sprayed color on the 2 chipped areas only, but sprayed clear on the entire fascia. He said it's the right way to do it, and it came out great. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

btw- Paramus has been great through this entire process.
Good luck today!
Thunder22 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

btw- Paramus has been great through this entire process.
Would love to see pictures of your car with the new paint. Hope everything is OK.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ies/iagree.gif

Quick Reply: Paint defect, new Z06