Sponsored by:

Help - Would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 11:08 PM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help - Would you buy?

...a used 2016 C7 A8 with 5k miles KNOWING it was exhibiting the dreaded A8 shudder related to the TC problems?

A bit more background:

Thanks to all the great posts on this forum, I've been educating myself about the C7 for the last 6-7 weeks and am fully aware of the A8 TC issues AND how to identify it.

Last week I found a great DSOM 2016 C7 A8 with ~5k miles in Tallahassee, FL within a local dealer's network. The local dealer shipped the car up to Cary, NC.

Yesterday, I took the car out for a long test drive specifically to check for the A8 shudder issues and...well...it was exactly as others have described it: like driving over rumble strips, fluctuating RPMs in V4, harsh V8 to V4 engagement, etc.

The dealer did NOT pressure me to buy and agreed there was an issue.

Their Vette technician knew exactly what the problem was before the sales person could even finish describing what was happening.

At this point, they're doing the recommended x3 flush and fluid replacement. However, I won't be surprised if the TC needs replacement after the recommended 200 miles to see if the fluid flush / replace works.

I know GM is at least on REV #3 with TCs for the A8.
I know this particular C7's manufacture date was 10/15.
I know the car still has approximately 18 months of Bumper to Bumper Warranty left. (in service date around Xmas of 2015)
I know I LOVE the look of the car.

Being this is my first Corvette purchase, I'm concerned this will become a huge PITA rather than the joy it should be.

Has anyone had successful TC replacements with the latest TC?
If so, how many miles on the new TC?
Fears overblown?

I've been lurking here for several weeks now, and the knowledge and experience on these forums has been incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

P.S. Hello, everyone!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerSkunk
...Yesterday, I took the car out for a long test drive specifically to check for the A8 shudder issues and...well...it was exactly as others have described it: like driving over rumble strips, fluctuating RPMs in V4, harsh V8 to V4 engagement, etc...Their Vette technician knew exactly what the problem was before the sales person could even finish describing what was happening.
Why wasn't this car checked, shook-out before being offered for sale?
Tech knew of The Problem & this one had the symptoms, right?

I know I LOVE the look of the car...Being this is my first Corvette purchase, I'm concerned this will become a huge PITA rather than the joy it should be...Fears overblown?
Looking after one's own interests is hardly overblown fear.
JMHO unless dealer offered a good discount, and, paid for an extended GMEPP I'd pass knowing what I *think* I know of A8 & it's problems.

A8 has been great when it works as designed, this lingering problem proves to ME A8's problem is a design issue.
Sometimes fix works, sometimes it doesn't.

Feeling lucky?
Willing to risk your investment and time?
IF it turns out to be a bummer, it'll be on you because you knew going in. G/L on decision.
The following users liked this post:
snow (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,940 Likes on 4,817 Posts

I would definitely pass on this one. Just buying a new one with the A8 and hoping it does not fail is a crap shoot. Buying one with the problem and hoping they can fix it permanently is not something I would spend my money on.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
beaversstonehaven (05-22-2017), JerryU (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

I would move on to another dealer, they knew it was fubar and still put it up for sale? so much for ethics...
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
springer-
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

You didn't say how much they want for the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

No way!!!!! Look for a trouble free car.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

@springer

52k for the car.

@snow

To be fair, it's the dealer in FL that didn't fully vet (no pun intended) the car. My local dealer was rightly pissed about that. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the phone call happens between those two.

I'm leaning towards a NO right now, as they refused a hefty discount.

Oh well, plenty of gently loved C7s out there.

Also worth noting, this would be a DD for me.

Last edited by BeerSkunk; 05-22-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: stuff and things
Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerSkunk
...a used 2016 C7 A8 with 5k miles KNOWING it was exhibiting the dreaded A8 shudder related to the TC problems?

A bit more background:

Thanks to all the great posts on this forum, I've been educating myself about the C7 for the last 6-7 weeks and am fully aware of the A8 TC issues AND how to identify it.

Last week I found a great DSOM 2016 C7 A8 with ~5k miles in Tallahassee, FL within a local dealer's network. The local dealer shipped the car up to Cary, NC.

Yesterday, I took the car out for a long test drive specifically to check for the A8 shudder issues and...well...it was exactly as others have described it: like driving over rumble strips, fluctuating RPMs in V4, harsh V8 to V4 engagement, etc.

The dealer did NOT pressure me to buy and agreed there was an issue.

Their Vette technician knew exactly what the problem was before the sales person could even finish describing what was happening.

At this point, they're doing the recommended x3 flush and fluid replacement. However, I won't be surprised if the TC needs replacement after the recommended 200 miles to see if the fluid flush / replace works.

I know GM is at least on REV #3 with TCs for the A8.
I know this particular C7's manufacture date was 10/15.
I know the car still has approximately 18 months of Bumper to Bumper Warranty left. (in service date around Xmas of 2015)
I know I LOVE the look of the car.

Being this is my first Corvette purchase, I'm concerned this will become a huge PITA rather than the joy it should be.

Has anyone had successful TC replacements with the latest TC?
If so, how many miles on the new TC?
Fears overblown?

I've been lurking here for several weeks now, and the knowledge and experience on these forums has been incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

P.S. Hello, everyone!
Unlike other posters I would give this car a go for the following reasons:
1. It is still under warranty.
2. When one buys a used car there are always unknown issues no
how much it is checked out.
3. This give you immense bargaining power with the dealer. I would
ask for one hell of a discount.
FYI--I purchased an early build 14 A6. I also had the tc problem. But
in order to discover it the dealer and I went through 3 flex plates and one torque tube. Now I have the nav screen shudder issues. Buy the car if it appeals to you; then use the forum to locate a reputable dealer for warranty work. GM will take care of the problem. It is their problem, not yours!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:03 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Pass on this one.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Maslo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If I weren't as laid back as I am, I wouldn't consider it. The dealership would fix it, but I wouldn't be sure the issue doesn't come back after some miles are put on it, meaning it's already sold again.

If I would consider it, the car still has a warranty and towing & loaner cars should be included. I'd have to tolerate possibly breaking down at any point in the next ~6 months, after the TC is fixed but give it time to ensure these issues don't come back. As long as the above are all ticked, reach an acceptable price and I encourage you to pull the trigger.

The price must be acceptable though - this is already not a mechanically sound car. The price should be reduced from an excellent condition car's price by the higher of what being stranded costs either you or someone else interested in the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:27 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't think at 52K with 5k miles is a good deal. Let alone WITH known mechanical issues (so you would have to leave the car with dealer for the fix for who knows how long).

I paid 55.7K (plus tax) for my 2016 (new in Dec of 2016). 3LT M7. MSRP 73K.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:47 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Run don't walk away from this, plenty of problem free cars at or below that price. While still under warranty, your state may or may not provide lemon law coverage on a used vehicle and then you are stuck
with it.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I can't even imagine why you would consider it. I don't understand why people are buying A8's even when new. You really have to be a glutton for punishment. I can't stand dealing with car dealerships and service writers. Buying a car with known tranny issues seems like a really bad move, new or used.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:29 PM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

@LimeRay

It's a battle between my heart and my head, and it's helpful for me to get objective viewpoints to settle myself.

To everyone, thank you for the feedback. I'm walking away from this one and reaching out on some other C7s I was tracking in case this deal didn't work out.

Something my head and heart can agree on will come along soon enough.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'm of the opposing opinion, but with some caveats. If the dealer will fix it before I buy, let me take it out for a good shakedown cruise, and offers me an extended warranty at dealer cost I would walk away. But, if he's amenable to my requests I would be a buyer if that's the car I wanted.

Many here have had this problem, and had their cars repaired to their satisfaction. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 05-22-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 313 Likes on 200 Posts

No way I'd be buying a $50K car that needs to be ripped apart for repair/
Old 05-22-2017, 02:32 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by snow
I would move on to another dealer, they knew it was fubar and still put it up for sale? so much for ethics...
If he's in Cary, then it's Hendrick and they're not renowned for their ethical treatment of anyone, employees or customers.

I will note though that I've had good service with them, I just don't want to buy from them.

OP: I'd pass on this one. Can you shift? Because none of these problems exist with the manual transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by yeller z06:
BeerSkunk (05-22-2017), proexpert (05-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Would you buy?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 837 Likes on 373 Posts

Bail out on the A8 and go for the M7, you'll be much happier and never have to worry about the dreaded shudder.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,819 Likes on 1,615 Posts

You're asking a question of the herd. The real question is whether YOU would buy the car in the condition as subscribed. You're the one who will have to deal with it.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Do you absolutely have to have a automatic?

Quick Reply: Help - Would you buy?