C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Vettes are so beautiful, some people tried to steal mine but Vettes are traps

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I keep my extra fob in my safe, and the primary one with me even if I'm driving one of my other cars (goes in brief case or backpack). And if I go on vacation, all keys go in the safe.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good deal that the idiots did not trash your car. A better place to hide the FOBs would be a good idea.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
DuckNorris
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteorama
@DuckNorris Man I'm glad you got it back ok and the guys are in jail!

That makes me want to hide me key FOBs...but luckily I also have a big doberman which is a good theft deterent.
And @Patman

I have like the most aggresive Akita/Husky there is and he fought them off best he could but against 4 people they couldn't take them all on. They cornered with him pillows but could not sufficate him and they pushed him into a room.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
DuckNorris
Intermediate

Lessons learned indeed sirs, lessons learned. Thank you all for the advice and support! I will definitely keep these in mind.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by DuckNorris
And @Patman

I have like the most aggresive Akita/Husky there is and he fought them off best he could but against 4 people they couldn't take them all on. They cornered with him pillows but could not sufficate him and they pushed him into a room.
Damn, that's scary that they were so bold as to do that! I figured that when burglars encounter a big dog they don't want to take any chances and just move onto the next house. These guys are either serious professionals, or stupid kids on drugs that don't know better. So glad the scumbags are caught now! I hope they don't get away with a slap on the wrist!

There have been a ton of break ins in my neighborhood lately and I have always felt safe because of our dog, but reading this makes me feel a little bit more concerned. And I would hate it if anyone harmed him!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM
DuckNorris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patman
Damn, that's scary that they were so bold as to do that! I figured that when burglars encounter a big dog they don't want to take any chances and just move onto the next house. These guys are either serious professionals, or stupid kids on drugs that don't know better. So glad the scumbags are caught now! I hope they don't get away with a slap on the wrist!

There have been a ton of break ins in my neighborhood lately and I have always felt safe because of our dog, but reading this makes me feel a little bit more concerned. And I would hate it if anyone harmed him!
They were kids on some drugs for sure , pissed me off they left crap in my car but the police took care of getting rid of it and my Vette smells good again now and cleaned up. Agreed.

Yeah we were worried, its always safe to invest in a camera and/or alarm , specially if you have a Vette which do attract a lot of attention as we all here have experienced
Old 05-25-2017, 12:05 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

They went from kids to criminals if what you say about what they Tried to do to your dog is accurate. Those people that try to play the drug charges shouldn't lead to jail time issue are so blind.

it's a joke. They're addiction leads them to the burglaries and the non violent drug offender (which is what they would be considered, get "treatment" and Cory mandated rehab. Which they lie about to get off probation then repeat.

you should get two chances and third should be life. Done.

most sophisticated alarm and cameras you can afford. The alarm doesn't stop anyone breaking in your house. But it limits the time they'll be in there destroying it. Remember that. Cause it's the truth.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 AM
gottaz51
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=DuckNorris;1594801546][QUOTE=agapsdiver;1594800790]
Originally Posted by DuckNorris
... instead of stealing anything in our home, they legitly forgot about what was in the house and they saw my Vette in the garage and took it for a little ride while I was at work. Promptly police was called when my brother got there, called Onstar and they were able to pinpoint my Vette and catch all 4 of them, now in jail.

Yes, they found and stole the FOB. They looked everywhere for it (which meant they didn't steal anything else in the house so busy looking for the FOB).
Yeah, I keep my extra locked in the safe, the other stays in my pocket at all times. Make em work.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:11 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Do we REALLY need to make this a political discussion?
Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

did your onboard BIG BROTHER catch something like this?

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-25-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 AM
DuckNorris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
did your onboard BIG BROTHER catch something like this?

Haha, they caught everywhere it went but luckily insurance will get it inspected, everything checked etc to make sure anything it caught on the way there too is taken care of

[QUOTE=gottaz51;1594811049][QUOTE=DuckNorris;1594801546]
Originally Posted by agapsdiver

Yeah, I keep my extra locked in the safe, the other stays in my pocket at all times. Make em work.
Indeed getting a safe this weekend!

Last edited by DuckNorris; 05-25-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 AM
DuckNorris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
They went from kids to criminals if what you say about what they Tried to do to your dog is accurate. Those people that try to play the drug charges shouldn't lead to jail time issue are so blind.

it's a joke. They're addiction leads them to the burglaries and the non violent drug offender (which is what they would be considered, get "treatment" and Cory mandated rehab. Which they lie about to get off probation then repeat.

you should get two chances and third should be life. Done.

most sophisticated alarm and cameras you can afford. The alarm doesn't stop anyone breaking in your house. But it limits the time they'll be in there destroying it. Remember that. Cause it's the truth.
I am currently getting HD cameras and installing them myself or getting an electrician to do so.

I just turned 24 and the thought of (One day I'll get a Corvette) helped a lot through the hard times in engineering in college and first year of work which was intense. When they tried stealing it felt like someone stepped on my dreams

I learned my lessons and now protecting my dreams.Security Cameras have been ordered, alarm system this weekend, and safe this weekend too. Thank you all for the the support and advice.

I seriously suggest anyone reading this that has been fortunate to not gone through this seriously invest in protecting your stuff when you have a beautiful car. I like walking distance from a Elementary School, Highschool, Primary School, and a Church so relatively safe but obviously you can never be too careful as I have learned.

Last edited by DuckNorris; 05-25-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Not really political, he was making an observation

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Do we REALLY need to make this a political discussion?
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Carqwik
Retired state trooper told me that a manual tranny is the best theft prevention device out there...none of the kids today know how to drive one. (His words...)
I have to agree with this.

The number of people who are absolutely crestfallen when they ask "can I drive it?" and I counter "can you drive a clutch?" Is rather surprising. (Bonus: their expressions can be quite amusing)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 PM
DuckNorris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aj98
I have to agree with this.

The number of people who are absolutely crestfallen when they ask "can I drive it?" and I counter "can you drive a clutch?" Is rather surprising. (Bonus: their expressions can be quite amusing)
I come from a manual G37 which from a current car perspective is a hard clutch ( transitions can be rough if not timed perfectly) and it hurt my back to drive one in traffic. Also, a lot of kids around here get cheap Civics, subarus, etc that are old with manual transmissions. Atleast in this area where a lot drive manual it may not make a big difference.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:55 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
How'd they get four people in a c7? Glad you got it back ok!
don't ever remember 4, but many, many times 3 in the front of the old '71 coupe back in the day(believe at least one always a slim teen or twenty-something year old girl)
The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 AM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
How'd they get four people in a c7? Glad you got it back ok!
Good question! Must have been juveniles or midgets!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM
TOMZE
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW...

At least in Ohio, diminished value claims don't work with the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance: first party vice third party claims.

"DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1ST AND 3rd PARTY CLAIMS

Please understand that the law I have summarized here has to do only with third party insurance claims for diminished value, not first party claims. A third party claim is a claim against a negligent person who has damaged your vehicle when they caused the accident. When you pursue a third party claim, you are making the claim against the at fault person’s insurance company. First party claims are those you make under your own policy, they are claims like comprehensive and collision claims. Generally, you pay no deductible under a third party claim like you usually do under a first party claim.

When it comes to first party claims, your insurance company may owe you a diminished value settlement as well, but this depends on how your insurance policy contract reads."

http://ohiodiminishedvalue.com/law-ohio-brief-look/

Quick Reply: C7 Vettes are so beautiful, some people tried to steal mine but Vettes are traps