mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

That column has now been added....

Originally Posted by bbdmac
I agree Foosh, but I think if there was a column for current mileage with NO problems it would be helpful. This is what people are adding in these recent posts. Along with those additional comments.....
Old 06-10-2017, 11:39 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

If someone has that list I can try to incorporate that into this...

Originally Posted by STINGmole
Is there a list of definitive dates for the new Torque converter or transmission and fluid revisions? If build date and current mileage was added to the spreadsheet, it might provide helpful info.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:02 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,152 Likes on 3,380 Posts

My 2015 is slow to get into gear after sitting overnight. Probably has the drain back problem but I was going to wait to see if other problems crop up.
My tach drifts ~50 RPM in V4 mode but I have no other symptoms.
I entered no failures because I don't really consider these "failures" at this point. Should either of these be considered failures within the intent of this spreadsheet?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:22 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

This may be a bit too complicated for me as I only do the basics with technology but as some recall my A8 trans. in my previously owned 2016 C7 Z06 with 6,200 miles on the clock had a complete catastrophic failure and I received a new trans. under warranty but no then sold my Z as this was certainly a buzz kill.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED 2017 A8 Z06 102 miles so far.....
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Drive that thing more, will ya.
The following users liked this post:
Secret237 (02-29-2020)
Old 06-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Drive that thing more, will ya.
Only had it one week have not even got a inspection sticker yet!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:48 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

First of all, thank you for all the work you've already put into collecting and organizing this data. Hopefully your hard work pays off at some point with getting something tangible done by GM to rectify what is obviously more than a one-off problem with the A8.

Data spreadsheets are like internet forums - - i.e., they can quickly get out of hand. But at the risk of complicating things further, let me offer a few suggestions that you may want to incorporate into the spreadsheet:

1. In seems to me that A8 "issues" come in various forms. One is obviously TC failure and replacement. But there are other potentially related issues like: a) hard upshifting from 1st to 2nd, b) RPM volatility when in cruise control, c) "rubble strip" vibrations and noise at varying speeds and conditions, and finally d) complete TC and/or transmission failure, whatever the later may mean. Some may experience a) but nothing else. Others may experience more than one of the foregoing issues leading, ultimately, to d). Having this granularity of data, while a PITA to collect and organize, would really be helpful in trying to understand the scope and magnitude of A8 issues.

2. Thanks to the excellent interchange of useful information on this forum, I'm convinced that most, if not all, of the A8 issues are directly linked to the functioning of AFM - - the feature that switches the engine from V8 to V4. As a result, I NEVER let my engine utilize AFM. As most readers know, you can purchase after-market devices to defeat AFM or you can drive your vehicle in Manual mode, which is what I do. I think it would be useful to collect data via the spreadsheet that potentially demonstrates a correlation between drivers that let their vehicles go into V4 mode and the issues noted in #1 above.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

It may or may not be true that AFM is causing a lot of TC issues, but there's no way its causing problems with the transmission itself.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Stickied
Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave

I to have my fingers crossed 2017 A8 Z06 with 209 miles. In my defense had the car for only 3 weeks !

Traded in a 2015 A8 Z06 with a perfect operating A8 that had no issues at the time !
Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 PM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my tranmission replaced on my 2017 grand sport a few weeks ago at 1500 miles
Old 06-15-2017, 10:49 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I've updated the charts in the spreadsheets, if there are some views your interested let me know, please do not mess with the charts tab :-) I've restricted the permissions on the charts tab so only I can make changes to that at this point.

An updated view of the charts has been edited into the first post in the thread.

Keep the updates coming, I still have a little data cleanup to do as well.
Buzzfl (08-02-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 AM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
I've updated the charts in the spreadsheets, if there are some views your interested let me know, please do not mess with the charts tab :-) I've restricted the permissions on the charts tab so only I can make changes to that at this point.

An updated view of the charts has been edited into the first post in the thread.

Keep the updates coming, I still have a little data cleanup to do as well.
A HUGE THANK YOU! for taking on this project.

Sooner or later there will be some criticism of how you are guiding (your) project, so expect that as a normal course of human nature. Everybody is an expert, but none of these experts are willing to help. Don't let it get to you! The vast silent majority out there are grateful someone like you stepped up.

Again, THANK YOU!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

No problem. And I have no worries of criticism, as long as it is constructive. I'm happy to evolve this as needed.

In fact I was first looking at this from a different perspective that I still think could be valuable to the collective but I just couldn't pull it together in my head.

My thinking was more along the lines of the sticky threads that pull together the FAQs/How-To's. But instead it would be one that would index in some standardized format all of the issues that people are reporting. Things like warbles, black infotainment screens, wheel clicking, transmission failures, etc.

Just a way to make finding the current or master threads on those issues and providing current summaries to make sure people could find the content.

If master threads could be assigned to an issue once it hits a certain level, and then those were indexed it would help. Even better would be to assign curators for each of those issues that could provide some trusted summaries in that index thread showing the current status of each in a standardized format.

Just not sure how to pull that together :-)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:27 PM
shiv.nandak
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

My 2015 C7Z has 2k miles on it currently (bought 2 months ago used). I have a feeling that the A8 will fail soon. I have delayed engagement. Lately i've noticed that sometimes the car just goes out of gear and takes a second to get in gear. In the mean time, my RPM just climbs - much like if you clutch-in and hit the gas. Car is also shifts rough in manual mode. I am really confused if these symptoms are serious because it's been a long time since i drove a TC auto.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Take it to the dealer, you have a warranty still. Search through the regional forums to find a good service department in your region. If there's a TC issue going on they should be able to diagnose.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Transmission failure tracking

Old 06-16-2017, 01:43 PM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv.nandak
My 2015 C7Z has 2k miles on it currently (bought 2 months ago used). I have a feeling that the A8 will fail soon. I have delayed engagement. Lately i've noticed that sometimes the car just goes out of gear and takes a second to get in gear. In the mean time, my RPM just climbs - much like if you clutch-in and hit the gas. Car is also shifts rough in manual mode. I am really confused if these symptoms are serious because it's been a long time since i drove a TC auto.
Mine was doing similar things and also the car would lunge forward after coming to a complete stop. Eventually the check engine light came on and the car was stuck in second gear. I took it in and they changed the tranmission. Car shifts flawlessly now and it's very obvious now what a messed up tranmission feels like.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Dtabq
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8

Originally Posted by mountainears
There have been a lot of threads around the A8 failures. There was also a Poll. Thought it might be good to create a Google Sheet to track this stuff, could be good for Ask Tadge at some point or some other way to get data to GM in regards to the failures.

Open to suggestions on structure, I can handle making those adjustments. But this sheet is open to all for editing, so if your Forum User name is not listed, you can add it. If it is listed, you can update your response if needed.

There is a chart tab as well that has some data based on the April Poll results, but this will update with new data of course.

REPEAT: BEFORE UPDATING THE SPREADSHEET: Please search for your user ID, if it is already there, update that row. If not, you can add yourself to the end.

Google Sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Chart of data
Charts are in a tab on the spreadsheet. This image of the charts was updated June 15, 2017

Well Done!
radiant (03-11-2023)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Dtabq
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done! Thanks for your time on this.

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission failure tracking