Sponsored by:

OEM Splitter and Side Skirt Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
Default OEM Splitter and Side Skirt Rivets

I figure I'd post this for all those going down the same road I am. I bought a set of Apsis Carbon Fiber Stage 3 splitters and Z06 side skirts for my 2017 GS. The kit came with sheetrock screws which I wasn't about to use as I wanted a more OEM solution. After examining my splitter and side skirt attachments, I saw that it used a series of 7mm head screws and black aluminum pop rivets. The screws can be reused, but had to drill out the rivets, and there was no way of telling what size they were. I searched for the answer to no avail, so decided to go down to the local dealership and just buy the OEM rivets. After all, the cars come from Bowling Green with them detached and are installed by the dealer, so, they must have them in stock. The good news was that they had them in stock, the bad news was that they charged $4.50 per rivet, and that was the discounted price from $5.98 lol. The parts manager and I locked eyes when he said the price, both in shock and both trying not to laugh. Then he tells me that the Z06 side skirts alone requires 26 of these things and didn't know how many for the splitter as it was quoted "as required" on his microfiche. So $117 plus. Didn't have my caliper handy, so I bought one.

After taking my measurements, it turns out it is a standard 3/16 aluminum rivet in black anodize. The factory rivet measures 3/16" diameter, 0.825" length, and 0.615" head diameter. My go to place for fasteners is McMaster Carr, and found a suitable substitute. Part number 97447A090 and measures 3/16", 0.825", but a bit larger head diameter of 0.65" which in our application is better. It only comes in silver, but a can of flat black spray paint will take care of that. But the best part is that it only costs $13.08 for a pack of 100. McMaster Carr is not the cheapest place for anything, but they are convenient. There may be other vendors that would have the exact rivet black anodized, and most likely cheaper, but for 13 bucks meh. But I hope this saves some time and effort for those as **** as I am
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Kracka (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

May have to use rivets on side skirts in places where you cannot reach the backside of the panel, but for the splitter, I used the same OEM bumper screws that GM uses to attach the bumper cover.

You can reach the inside of the bumper in all locations except the two center holes, so I used the 1/4" push in plastic rivets there. I used the u-nuts just like a lock nut inside the bumper, not clipped onto the bumper.

Here is a look inside the bumper cover through opening behind the lower air dam..

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-09-2017 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gearbox22 (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,650 Likes on 6,648 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbox22
I figure I'd post this for all those going down the same road I am. I bought a set of Apsis Carbon Fiber Stage 3 splitters and Z06 side skirts for my 2017 GS. The kit came with sheetrock screws which I wasn't about to use as I wanted a more OEM solution. After examining my splitter and side skirt attachments, I saw that it used a series of 7mm head screws and black aluminum pop rivets. The screws can be reused, but had to drill out the rivets, and there was no way of telling what size they were. I searched for the answer to no avail, so decided to go down to the local dealership and just buy the OEM rivets. After all, the cars come from Bowling Green with them detached and are installed by the dealer, so, they must have them in stock. The good news was that they had them in stock, the bad news was that they charged $4.50 per rivet, and that was the discounted price from $5.98 lol. The parts manager and I locked eyes when he said the price, both in shock and both trying not to laugh. Then he tells me that the Z06 side skirts alone requires 26 of these things and didn't know how many for the splitter as it was quoted "as required" on his microfiche. So $117 plus. Didn't have my caliper handy, so I bought one.

After taking my measurements, it turns out it is a standard 3/16 aluminum rivet in black anodize. The factory rivet measures 3/16" diameter, 0.825" length, and 0.615" head diameter. My go to place for fasteners is McMaster Carr, and found a suitable substitute. Part number 97447A090 and measures 3/16", 0.825", but a bit larger head diameter of 0.65" which in our application is better. It only comes in silver, but a can of flat black spray paint will take care of that. But the best part is that it only costs $13.08 for a pack of 100. McMaster Carr is not the cheapest place for anything, but they are convenient. There may be other vendors that would have the exact rivet black anodized, and most likely cheaper, but for 13 bucks meh. But I hope this saves some time and effort for those as **** as I am
Good source of the equivalent to the GM rivets! I watched at the C7 Tech installed the 13 rivets per side on mu Stage 2 aero package side skirts ordered with my Grand Sport.

For my C7, Z51 I made a functionally similar arrange when I installed my LG Motorsports carbon fiber side skirts. Used inexpensive 3/16 inch aluminum rivets and small stainless fender washers that fit perfectly under the rivet head. Here is a pic FWIW:

There is a small gap between the rocker panel and the aluminum frame. I inserted a scrape piece of metal in the gap when I drilled so I didn't hit the frame. Although, as recommended, I moved the rivet to the outside to have a tight fit (which I do) it is still at the bottom of the rocker panel. Note, to spread the load, used a small stainless fender washer under the rivet head

Last edited by JerryU; 06-09-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:04 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

SO you didn't try to get the whole kit in one? Should be same for Z06/GS?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Thanks for the info, i may need to redo one of my splitter installs.

thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Splitter and Side Skirt Rivets

Quick Reply: OEM Splitter and Side Skirt Rivets