Sponsored by:

GM drops the mic in an email about a Lemon Law claim

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:44 AM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I've had Lexuses (and Audi and Mercedes and BMW) before, they're no more problem-free than the current GMs. They just treat you better when they break, but they're not any better quality in my opinion. Am I really defending GM while they're screwing me? Yup, I guess I am.
Lexus has been ranked as the most reliable car brand by JD Power for a long time. Every year they're at the top of this list: http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by w0rM
Lexus has been ranked as the most reliable car brand by JD Power for a long time. Every year they're at the top of this list: http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study
That's great for them, and they probably are. But any individual vehicle, such as mine, can still have a problem.

It's not that this vehicle has been a lemon, it's that it's been serviced like one, because GM can't find parts for its own vehicles.

Rikhek has a thread of his own going on right now, 5-6 weeks in waiting on a water pump. Even a Lexus can have a water pump fail... they just put a new one on. That's the missing factor, not initial quality.

As it is I'm about 5 days short of having 15 in the eligibility window, I think. So I'm really a boundary case that would have been better handled by GM's goodwill, if they had any.

Last edited by davepl; 06-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

GM is playing a numbers game with you as many companies elect to do for the sake of profitability. They probably figured you were a likely lemon case and just assumed the worst and rather than help you now, they will just take the car back later. It might be maddening but they think (wrongly in my opinion) that they are smart.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I'm looking at another sports car if this Vette is going to spend more time with the dealer than with me.
I haven't even been a Corvette owner for a full month yet, and the car is at the dealer having the transmission dropped out of it right now.

I only got my metal license plates in the mail on Saturday, and I see some some new paper tags in my very near future...
Old 06-22-2017, 09:11 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
I haven't even been a Corvette owner for a full month yet, and the car is at the dealer having the transmission dropped out of it right now.

I only got my metal license plates in the mail on Saturday, and I see some some new paper tags in my very near future...
That sucks. I am guessing this was the A8 automatic?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 AM
detroitguy
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm awaiting a final response today from GM regarding my lemon law case. I'm worried they're going to offer me something similar (e.g. free OnStar). What a joke.

Have you looked into the BBB Auto Line? That's how I got things moving along.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:51 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Originally Posted by thill444
That sucks. I am guessing this was the A8 automatic?
Yeah, the A8. 0/10. Would not buy again.

If GM was trying to attract a younger crowd with the C7 who weren't already "vette guys", good luck to them. But here's a 35yo guy who will never own one again, at any price.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, the A8. 0/10. Would not buy again.

If GM was trying to attract a younger crowd with the C7 who weren't already "vette guys", good luck to them. But here's a 35yo guy who will never own one again, at any price.
Well unfortunately if you were to boycott all of the car manufacturers that sold a lemon you'd probably be walking alot...
Truth is **** happens, how the manufacturers deal with the client tells the story in my eyes.
With that said I'm done with Ford, but for more than one lemon, 2 as a matter of fact.... They were more concerned for profits, than the client.. I'm sure they're all the same....
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Originally Posted by dbintegrity
Well unfortunately if you were to boycott all of the car manufacturers that sold a lemon you'd probably be walking alot...
Truth is **** happens, how the manufacturers deal with the client tells the story in my eyes.
With that said I'm done with Ford, but for more than one lemon, 2 as a matter of fact.... They were more concerned for profits, than the client.. I'm sure they're all the same....
I work for Toyota manufacturing, I work with quality engineers all day long. We have a couple thousand of the new 2018 Camry's here on site that they are going over with a fine-toothed comb before launch. I know as well as anybody that any brand can have problems. I did the Lemon Law dance with BMW in Florida back in 2011 too (parasitic drain).

Still, a couple of my best friends here in Houston are die-hard Chevy guys. Yet, one of them had a catastrophic engine failure on a 2013 Camaro that made him go down the full stroker engine swap path. The other just had a transmission failure on his brand new 2016 Camaro. It's like "guys, why are you so apologetic over them? You don't own stock in the brand." I literally don't know a person that has owned a Chevy Camaro or Corvette longer than 15,000mi without a catastrophic core mechanical failure. As far as my sphere of friends, friggin DUCATI is a bastion of reliability by comparison. Let's think about that one for a sec.

Yes, 4 of us is statistically insignificant, I get that. But somebody else can work out the math, being a GM customer is just not for me.

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 06-22-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
ScottKolek
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
So I have a vehicle that I think qualifies for Lemon Law (last trip to the shop was >30 days on that visit alone), but GM offered me only one year of OnStar for free. I declined. Here's their response!

General Motors realizes that a consumer not only purchases a GM vehicle because of its high quality, but also for the exceptional customer assistance that comes with that product. I apologize that the decision was not in accordance with your wishes, however, this is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional communications on this subject.

In other words, don't call us, and we won't call you.

I have five GMs newer than 2015, but I've got a feeling this is my last one. That's just a dick move, GM.

I'll stop by a LemonLaw website, there are tons of attorneys out there that do it for free, but I'd hoped to just deal with GM directly. No dice!

Anyone else run into this kind of hard attitude? Not exactly "exceptional customer assistance".
Post responses like this to social media, i.e. Facebook, will get lots of bad press, then GM will start to take notice, and others, and treat customers better.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I work for Toyota manufacturing, I work with quality engineers all day long. We have a couple thousand of the new 2018 Camry's here on site that they are going over with a fine-toothed comb before launch. I know as well as anybody that any brand can have problems. I did the Lemon Law dance with BMW in Florida back in 2011 too (parasitic drain).

Still, a couple of my best friends here in Houston are die-hard Chevy guys. Yet, one of them had a catastrophic engine failure on a 2013 Camaro that made him go down the full stroker engine swap path. The other just had a transmission failure on his brand new 2016 Camaro. It's like "guys, why are you so apologetic over them? You don't own stock in the brand." I literally don't know a person that has owned a Chevy Camaro or Corvette longer than 15,000mi without a catastrophic core mechanical failure. As far as my sphere of friends, friggin DUCATI is a bastion of reliability by comparison. Let's think about that one for a sec.

Yes, 4 of us is statistically insignificant, I get that. But somebody else can work out the math, being a GM customer is just not for me.
Hey man! I ride a Ducati and Audi has really done wonders for them. My oil changes are 9,000 miles and 18k on the valve timing check .. but I know what you are saying. Harley may want to buy them :barf:

Also consider that Camaros and Corvettes are beat on for fun more than a Camry. Not apoligizing for them, but I think its different.

I have family in GM and specifically at the proving grounds its insane the level of testing and work that they do. Its just a numbers game when you are making so many cars, with so many partners and hands touching them, its a wonder anything works and that they can warranty stuff like this.

Last edited by spinkick; 06-22-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:31 PM
1955nomad
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The haters must have found the corvette web site. Maybe they should go to the Yugo site and complain about there cars.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 1955nomad
The haters must have found the corvette web site. Maybe they should go to the Yugo site and complain about there cars.
actually the amount of complaints on here vs the vast number of Corvettes out there is ridiculous.....we should have 1 or 2....not dozens
Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

^^^ 156,789 posts HOLY SHI"!!!!!WOW!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
You need to look up your state's lemon law procedures, and follow those. What anyone else tells you doesn't matter.
Exactly. If you fall within your state's guidelines, give me hell.

Quick Reply: GM drops the mic in an email about a Lemon Law claim