Sponsored by:

Power steering failed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:03 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Update: Rack replaced yesterday

The new rack finally came in and they replaced it yesterday; only time will tell if its a bad design or a group of bad parts that caused the issues for all of us. I've included the diagnosis portion of my repair order showing the code C0545-3a and GM telling the mechanic that there is a short in the torque sensor....I may have to go back though as it seems like my steering wheel is just a little off center...maybe.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
daixloxbmw (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
The new rack finally came in and they replaced it yesterday; only time will tell if its a bad design or a group of bad parts that caused the issues for all of us. I've included the diagnosis portion of my repair order showing the code C0545-3a and GM telling the mechanic that there is a short in the torque sensor....I may have to go back though as it seems like my steering wheel is just a little off center...maybe.
Glad you finally got yours replaced. Mine has been working flawlessly so far and I DD it. I got an alignment after the replacement because I also lowered the car on the factory bolts and also took the opportunity to dial out some negative camber. Hopefully that will improve the lifespan of these tires.
VistaVette (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A couple of comments about power steering failure. Plan on it on any car. There are all sorts of reasons why any power steering system will fail. On hydraulic systems a hose can fail or the engine can stop. On electric systems a component can fail.

GM made several cars with bad ignition switches that turned off easily while the car was being driven. The switch turning off that easy was GM's fault, the fact some people had accidents because the switch turned off thus turning off the engine and power steering was the driver's fault. It doesn't matter how reliable a system is it can still fail and the driver should be ready to drive the car to a safe stopping place alongside the road.

When I was teaching my granddaughter how to drive one of the things I did once she had some confidence driving was to turn off the ignition switch and let her get a feel for how the car handled without power steering and how she a small person could drive it even though it didn't have power steering. First I did it on a level straight and then after doing that a couple of times I did when we were going down hill around a curve. She handled it. Every driver needs to be able to handle it. When it happens unexpectedly adrenaline will drive your arms and you may thing it is easy to do but once the adrenaline flushes out of the system be ready to use your muscles without any help from a hormone.

Bill
Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I've found the reason the ignition switch could be turned off easily was due to too many keys on the key ring causing the switch to be turned to off when turning. This was in Cobalts that we were racing at the time.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:22 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Does the 2018 model have the same steering issue?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
Hmm, had a September 2013 built C7, one of the first. Am on the forum often and don't recall any issues until recently. Sounds like a batch quality problem, IMO.

I would not call it an "issue" but rather a quality concern. This is not like the A8 where a new design has some teething problems. This is the same steering system that has been used on C7s from the start of production in August 2013.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-13-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Hmm, had a September 2013 built C7, one of the first. Am on the forum often and don't recall any issues until recently. Sounds like a batch quality problem, IMO.

I would not call it an "issue" but rather a quality concern. This is not like the A8 where a new design has some teething problems. This is the same steering system that has been used on C7s from the start of production in August 2013.
There's one other thread on this and someone stated that there was a part change for 2017. All of us that have had the issue have early build '17's
Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
A couple of comments about power steering failure. Plan on it on any car. There are all sorts of reasons why any power steering system will fail. On hydraulic systems a hose can fail or the engine can stop. On electric systems a component can fail.

GM made several cars with bad ignition switches that turned off easily while the car was being driven. The switch turning off that easy was GM's fault, the fact some people had accidents because the switch turned off thus turning off the engine and power steering was the driver's fault. It doesn't matter how reliable a system is it can still fail and the driver should be ready to drive the car to a safe stopping place alongside the road.

When I was teaching my granddaughter how to drive one of the things I did once she had some confidence driving was to turn off the ignition switch and let her get a feel for how the car handled without power steering and how she a small person could drive it even though it didn't have power steering. First I did it on a level straight and then after doing that a couple of times I did when we were going down hill around a curve. She handled it. Every driver needs to be able to handle it. When it happens unexpectedly adrenaline will drive your arms and you may thing it is easy to do but once the adrenaline flushes out of the system be ready to use your muscles without any help from a hormone.

Bill
Great points Bill, I agree with this as well.

Know your cars failure modes, and be prepared.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like a bad batch of torque sensor cables. The steering system has an external cable running from the pinion tower to the ECU on the back of the motor. If this cable had a manufacturing issue then an intermittent short would produce your EXACT failure mode!

I'm wondering if in 2017 GM updated to redundant torque sensors, based on this failure I think it's unlikely as the short would have to happen to both sensors to cause a loss of assist.
VistaVette (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Sounds like a bad batch of torque sensor cables. The steering system has an external cable running from the pinion tower to the ECU on the back of the motor. If this cable had a manufacturing issue then an intermittent short would produce your EXACT failure mode!

I'm wondering if in 2017 GM updated to redundant torque sensors, based on this failure I think it's unlikely as the short would have to happen to both sensors to cause a loss of assist.
Is that cable replaceable?
Old 08-16-2017, 10:40 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Is that cable replaceable?
Yes and No.

Technically you can replace it by removing the input pinion housing cover, otherwise no. So GM doesn't service them, they replace the whole gear.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 AM
robbieroflcopter
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Same here

2017 z06 with the same problem. They're swapping the rack. My service guy knew what needed to be done immediately. Mine never stored a code and would start working after a restart. Seems more frequent on hot days at low speeds with ac on. Heat issue or related to heat perhaps?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

It might be documented there. I actually don't have a copy of the repair order right now as the service writer said he was going to leave it open and just leave it on his desk for a while and see if this problem returns so that there's not a separate I repair. I'm not exactly sure why that matters but that's what they wanted to do.
it matters because those aholes have 3 times to fix a safety problem like that before it's a legal lemon and they have to buy it back. Go back in and get the paperwork and stop by your attorneys office to have him take care of the issue from here on. That's what I would do because I'm too old to F around anymore with GM's complete stupidity. Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by Deweyox
it matters because those aholes have 3 times to fix a safety problem like that before it's a legal lemon and they have to buy it back. Go back in and get the paperwork and stop by your attorneys office to have him take care of the issue from here on. That's what I would do because I'm too old to F around anymore with GM's complete stupidity. Good Luck!
They replaced the whole unit and it's been around 7000 miles with no issues. I agree with you though, GM hasn't been great to deal with recently. It took entirely too long to fix this issue and on another issue with my convertible top I wound up at an independent shop who fixed the problem while I watched in about 15 minutes...a problem GM said didn't exist at all.
NOLA-Isa (10-12-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 PM
NOLA-Isa
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, Vista Vette,
I have just read ALL of your posts on this thread...Question:
So have you had any more issues with your PS since the dealer replaced your rack?
Mine failed on my new 2017 Stingray with Manual Transm. when I had 60 miles on it! (It was built in October 2016)
Flatbedded to closest dealer (Not where I bought it), of course they found no codes, said it was a low voltage issue, gave me a new battery and said case closed...
It failed again at 900 miles. I had read your thread, so I muscled up and pulled off the road, turned it off, counted til 10, turned it back on, warning message was gone, PS worked!
Then this morning, at 1000 miles, it failed 4 times in a row, and twice it did not go away after turning ignition off!
I crawled , with a white knuckle grip, to the dealer I bought it from and left it in their parking lot ...Not sure how loud I should scream at their service department in the AM ! What do you advise me to ask for!!!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by NOLA-Isa
Hi there, Vista Vette,
So have you had any more issues with your PS since the dealer replaced your rack?
Mine failed on my new 2017 Stingray with Manual Transm. when I had 60 miles on it! (It was built in October 2016)
Flatbedded to closest dealer (Not where I bought it), of course they found no codes, said it was a low voltage issue, gave me a new battery and said case closed...
It failed again at 900 miles. I had read your thread, so I muscled up and pulled off the road, turned it off, counted til 10, turned it back on, warning message was gone, PS worked!
Then this morning, at 1000 miles, it failed 4 times in a row, and twice it did not go away after turning ignition off!
I crawled , with a white knuckle grip, to the dealer I bought it from and left it in their parking lot ...Not sure how loud I should scream at their service department in the AM ! What do you advise me to ask for!!!

Not one issue since it was replaced and I now have almost 15k miles. Just have them check for codes again, there has to be one stored. There were a couple of people on this forum that had the issue and found a loose ground wire. In my case, and most others on here, it was a faulty rack...or wiring within.

Last edited by VistaVette; 10-14-2018 at 08:27 PM.
NOLA-Isa (10-14-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:29 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLA-Isa
Hi there, Vista Vette,
Any update on yours yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering failed

Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

As I've said on other "p/s quits" threads, the new '17 I bought at Kerbeck's quit before I left with it. NO DIC messages and the Vette tech they called in on a Saturday afternoon said it was a "faulty sensor too difficult to reach to fix at that time." Hence, I doubt if it posted any codes, either. But, they seemed to know what was wrong.

After the tech reported, Kerbeck's sent me on my way in an identical '18 at the same price.
NOLA-Isa (10-18-2018)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:24 PM
JonRicketts
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know your posts are 1-1/2 yrs old but just to add to tghis I as well have a 2017 GS and had two occurrences of power streeing loss last summer. One was after sitting in a parking lot wirth the AC running and the second was driving on a highway at 75MPH. The first reset after a shut down and restart and the second didn't reset until 1-1-1/2 hrs later. I think it may be heat related, but the ground issue has merit
Old 01-04-2019, 02:27 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Take it in and get it fixed before you kill yourself. This is obviously a dangerous condition but mine was fixed and no further problems.

Quick Reply: Power steering failed