Sponsored by:

Power steering failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Power steering failed

This morning as I pulled into a parking lot my power steering stopped working, the DIC displayed a warning message to "Service Power Steering" and "Drive With Care". It was a bitch to turn. I turned the car off once I parked and when I restarted it everything was back to normal. I got it into service first thing today at 7am, they called me about 4 and told me that no codes we're logged and it seems fine now. I don't like this one bit. Luckily this happened at about 4:30 a.m. pulling into the parking lot in the gym. What would have happened had I been in heavy traffic, or a spirited driving situation or in some other situation where I would have lost my steering? I don't like intermittent issues like this. They're dangerous ...and how can I log no codes when I had a DIC message pop up?? The car is a '17 7 speed w/Z51. 5,800 miles.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The next time it happens you should snap a picture of the DIC.

I wonder if there's an event log in the computer system that might verify it happened even when a code wasn't set. The Event Viewer in Windows shows warnings and errors that occur even though they have no noticeable effect on operation of the computer.

It's sad they have to sacrifice highly reliable foolproof systems like hydraulic PS to satisfy the CAFE gods.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I recall there were some reports of other intermittent issues which didn't set codes. Perhaps we should have a sticky where you can post a PIC-of-the-DIC. With a catchy name like that floating around in your mind, it might be easier to remember to take a picture whenever something unusual shows up.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy

I wonder if there's an event log in the computer system that might verify it happened even when a code wasn't set. The Event Viewer in Windows shows warnings and errors that occur even though they have no noticeable effect on operation of the computer.

It's sad they have to sacrifice highly reliable foolproof systems like hydraulic PS to satisfy the CAFE gods.
The factory installed hydraulic PS system in my 64 Corvette is fifty three and a half years old and all original and has never had any kind of failure/repairs. and doesn't leak.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 AM
VistaVette
Pro

I did take a picture but with no codes they don't go any further. You'd think there would be something for them to check, that's a scary situation when that system fails. If a computer doesn't point it out, it didn't happen and they can't fix it
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by WelderGuy

Not being sarcastic, but his hands might be full at the moment to take a pic of the DIC. Also, I had a brand new (6 miles on odo), '93 Olds 98 that year. Pulling into a parking ramp at 10 in the morning the PS stopped. At the time, it was considered a "heavy" sedan at about 3700 lbs. It WAS a bear to steer and I'm glad I wasn't in traffic or near people; everyone was already in their office.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,618 Likes on 6,625 Posts

FWIW, if the OP installed a "catch can" that could create the fault! I'll explain and it may be an issue with the ground even if they didn't.

When I installed an Elite Catch Can on my 2014 Z51 I looked at the large ground wire on the bolt that was the one suggested to mount the bracket. Did not like the idea of mounting the painted bracket with a large ground cable. GM used that large a wire for a reason! Also wanted to be able to remove the "can" for cleaning without always removing the bolt from the aluminum chassis. Decided a better solution was to remove the bolt and install a stud with the same threads and move the ground connection to the one a few inches in front. There are three.

Recently there have been several posts that had the steering stop because of a poor ground. At least one was intermittent. They attributed that to the catch can mounting bracket and the ground bolted together. Turns out the steering motor can use over 100 amps on a transient maneuver! If it can't reach the required amperage it trips a code and shuts the system off! Being in the welding business where poor ground connects are a common problem, now understand the reason for these multiple large ground cables.

Just a thought. Even if the OP hasn't installed a catch can, would remove the ground connection on the drivers side, sand paper the connections and the frame and reinstall. This is a PDF of my catch can install that has pics of the location of the grounds: http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 06-27-2017 at 07:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
kenownr (01-04-2019), VNAMVET (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by JerryU
FWIW, if the OP installed a "catch can" that could create the fault! I'll explain and it may be an issue with the ground even if they didn't.

When I installed an Elite Catch Can on my 2014 Z51 I looked at the large ground wire on the bolt that was the one suggested to mount the bracket. Did not like the idea of mounting the painted bracket with a large ground cable. GM used that large a wire for a reason! Also wanted to be able to remove the "can" for cleaning without always removing the bolt from the aluminum chassis. Decided a better solution was to remove the bolt and install a stud with the same threads and move the ground connection to the one a few inches in front. There are three.

Recently there have been several posts that had the steering stop because of a poor ground. At least one was intermittent. They attributed that to the catch can mounting bracket and the ground bolted together. Turns out the steering motor can use over 100 amps on a transient maneuver! If it can't reach the required amperage it trips a code and shuts the system off! Being in the welding business where poor ground connects are a common problem, now understand the reason for these multiple large ground cables.

Just a thought. Even if the OP hasn't installed a catch can, would remove the ground connection on the drivers side, sand paper the connections and the frame and reinstall. This is a PDF of my catch can install that has pics of the location of the grounds: http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf
OP here: The car is bone stock except for window tint.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VistaVette
OP here: The car is bone stock except for window tint.
Still would check that chassis ground connection. Easy to do. It's like battery grounds, hard to diagnose, easier to remove the battery cable, clean and tighten! While you (or the dealer) is trying to find the problem, might check the battery cables as well!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-27-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Still would check that chassis ground connection. Easy to do. It's like battery grounds, hard to diagnose, easier to remove the battery cable, clean and tighten!
Yeah - I know its easy but I have a new car with a warranty and I'll be damned if I'm sweating in my garage for even one moment at 108 degrees because they "can't find a code". I will however suggest them to check it...which they won't because "they can't find a code" Can you tell i'm irritated?

Last edited by VistaVette; 06-27-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,433 Likes on 4,233 Posts

You'd rather risk an accident if it happens again than check the ground connection yourself?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
You'd rather risk an accident if it happens again than check the ground connection yourself?
I'd rather ditch the car. I don't spend $75k on a car to have to crawl around and check grounds. This isn't typical maintenance like making sure my oil level is correct or the tires are properly inflated etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by VistaVette:
Deweyox (08-04-2018), Spasetrucker (06-27-2017), vbdenny (06-29-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Ran into the same prob JerryU did with a catch can install.

Checking/tightening the grounds is easy stuff. I spent alot of money on mine too but I don't mind working on it, even if it's a bit hot out. Less trips to the dealer the better. Right now I'm at 0. If you have no catch can installed, just tighten it a little. Take you a few minutes tops. If you have a catch can, the PS ground needs to be directly below the bolt head.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah - I know its easy but I have a new car with a warranty and I'll be damned if I'm sweating in my garage for even one moment at 108 degrees because they "can't find a code". I will however suggest them to check it...which they won't because "they can't find a code" Can you tell i'm irritated?
Understand your frustration. If the computer doesn't say it found the error they won't do anything! As a minimum they should check, clean and tighten the battery coonections and ground connection to the chassis. An intermittent ground is sometimes hard to find. A common problem when I have solved welding problems for fabricators.

EXAMPLE: Recall a scarry incident when driving my CJ5 ragtop one night in a blizzard. In an isolated area, cold as heck in the Jeep with canvas doors and all electrical power when out and the engine shut off. Realized I would be in trouble with at least 5 miles from any help. When it slowed to about 25 mph I put it in 2nd gear and popped the clutch. Car jerked and the engine started.

The next day I checked and removed every connection from battery to chassis. Cleaned matting surfaces. Nothing was obviously wrong but it never happened again.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-27-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Understand your frustration. If the computer doesn't say it found the error they won't do anything! As a minimum they should check, clean and tighten the battery coonections and ground connection to the chassis. An intermittent ground is sometimes hard to find. A common problem when I have solved welding problems for fabricators.

EXAMPLE: Recall a scarry incident when driving my CJ5 ragtop one night in a blizzard. In an isolated area, cold as heck in the Jeep with canvas doors and all electrical power when out and the engine shut off. Realized I would be in trouble with at least 5 miles from any help. When it slowed to about 25 mph I put it in 2nd gear and popped the clutch. Car jerked and the engine started.

The next day I checked and removed every connection from battery to chassis. Cleaned matting surfaces. Nothing was obviously wrong but it never happened again.
Yep - my '06 Triumph Bonneville had a loose ground that held me up once as did my '68 Corvette a few times. Easy fixes.

The car is still at the dealer looking into a few other minor concerns; perhaps I can convince them to check the ground.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Just had mine fixed

This morning as I pulled into a parking lot my power steering stopped working, the DIC displayed a warning message to "Service Power Steering" and "Drive With Care". It was a bitch to turn. I turned the car off once I parked and when I restarted it everything was back to normal. I got it into service first thing today at 7am, they called me about 4 and told me that no codes we're logged and it seems fine now. I don't like this one bit. Luckily this happened at about 4:30 a.m. pulling into the parking lot in the gym. What would have happened had I been in heavy traffic, or a spirited driving situation or in some other situation where I would have lost my steering? I don't like intermittent issues like this. They're dangerous ...and how can I log no codes when I had a DIC message pop up?? The car is a '17 7 speed w/Z51. 5,800 miles.
This happened to me 4 times. Exactly the same way. It spent 6 days at the dealer. They replaced the steering gear asm. and aligned it. No issues as of yet. They found multiple codes in mine. Stay on top of them,your right the steering was very tough and if some one cuts you off you will not be able to react with no steering! Good luck!!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:57 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by Prray
This happened to me 4 times. Exactly the same way. It spent 6 days at the dealer. They replaced the steering gear asm. and aligned it. No issues as of yet. They found multiple codes in mine. Stay on top of them,your right the steering was very tough and if some one cuts you off you will not be able to react with no steering! Good luck!!
Tell me about the frequency of your issue please: How far apart did each occurrence happen? For example; was it in succession or would you drive for months at a time and then it would crop up again?

Mine was just the one time and it reset after I shut the car down; no codes and no issues since so the dealer said there isn't anything they can do at this point so they sent me home.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering failed

Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Tell me about the frequency of your issue please: How far apart did each occurrence happen? For example; was it in succession or would you drive for months at a time and then it would crop up again?

Mine was just the one time and it reset after I shut the car down; no codes and no issues since so the dealer said there isn't anything they can do at this point so they sent me home.
I have own the car for 7-months or so and have 2,500 miles on it. The light and lost of power steering would happen on occasion and once I shut the car off it would reset itself. This started happening recently with in the past couple of months. I only drive the car on the week ends, if it comes on again take a photo or try to drive it to the dealer so they can see it. Mine quit as I was pulling into the dealer for my 1st oil change and I showed the check in person. But as soon as I shut the car off and he restarted it the issue went away. The tech scanned it and it did set some type of code.
The following users liked this post:
VistaVette (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by Prray
I have own the car for 7-months or so and have 2,500 miles on it. The light and lost of power steering would happen on occasion and once I shut the car off it would reset itself. This started happening recently with in the past couple of months. I only drive the car on the week ends, if it comes on again take a photo or try to drive it to the dealer so they can see it. Mine quit as I was pulling into the dealer for my 1st oil change and I showed the check in person. But as soon as I shut the car off and he restarted it the issue went away. The tech scanned it and it did set some type of code.
Thanks for the response. I did take a picture of the error/warning screen but the service writer said that it didn't matter. They believe me when I say it happened but the car didn't store a code so they have nothing to diagnose. They told me if it happens again to not restart the car and have it flat-bed towed in so they can try to see whats going on before it resets.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Default What!

Thanks for the response. I did take a picture of the error/warning screen but the service writer said that it didn't matter. They believe me when I say it happened but the car didn't store a code so they have nothing to diagnose. They told me if it happens again to not restart the car and have it flat-bed towed in so they can try to see whats going on before it resets.
So your telling me they want you to have the car flat bedded to the dealer while its still running! That's unacceptable! I would go to the service manager and have a discussion about that process. Or try another Chevy dealer, I am fortunate that I have a great dealership that is responsive to the customers needs. Good luck hope everything works out for you, I know how frustrating things could be with dealing with car issues.

Quick Reply: Power steering failed