Sponsored by:

Is my car possessed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 PM
WTFvette
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Is my car possessed?

I have had my C7 coupe for 3 years now. I have had a loud bang noise while driving on the highway with my top stored away. This has only happened a few times. I scares the crap out of me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I don't know what is causing this. But my guess would be that the Top is popping up off hooks and slamming back down.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Do you have anything under the top? There are some interesting air circulation patterns under the top that could easily cause something in your hatch to flap against it. But the top locks in place very securely so I can't see it popping up off the storage points and if it did it probably would not place itself back in the locked position.

Also check the passenger belt if you don't have anyone with you because if it didn't retract properly it could be making the noise.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM
WTFvette
Instructor

It's not the seat belt. This is a loud bang noise while driving on the highway. No bumps, or items in the back that would make this loud of a noise. Its like someone is slaming the back door shut. And no I am not off my meds...

Last edited by WTFvette; 07-03-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by NSC5
Do you have anything under the top? There are some interesting air circulation patterns under the top that could easily cause something in your hatch to flap against it. But the top locks in place very securely so I can't see it popping up off the storage points and if it did it probably would not place itself back in the locked position.

Also check the passenger belt if you don't have anyone with you because if it didn't retract properly it could be making the noise.

I wouldn't be so quick to eliminate the passenger seat belt as the source. It can make some pretty loud noises when it's flopping around unsecured. I'd try latching it as if the seat was occupied and test drive to see if the noise is eliminated.
If the top is secured properly, I doubt it would be the source of the noise, I mean that's a really tight fit when placed in the back properly.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 492 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFvette
And no I am not off my meds...
Ha, ha!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you happen to have it floored and it is the exhaust barking?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 PM
WTFvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Do you happen to have it floored and it is the exhaust barking?
Usually yes... but not in this case.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Compare how securely your top rests in the holders compared to another C7. I cruised at 82 MPH for 40 miles yesterday with a few excursions above that when coming down the merge ramps and no noise from the top sitting in its holders.

Shortly after I bought my Z06 I had a roll of paper towels sitting loose in the rear of the hatch and when I looked back I found the towels were unrolling and were just about to the point where the leading edge was coming up to the seat. So anything loose back there, outside of a brick, is likely to move around in the wind.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Compare how securely your top rests in the holders compared to another C7. I cruised at 82 MPH for 40 miles yesterday with a few excursions above that when coming down the merge ramps and no noise from the top sitting in its holders.

Shortly after I bought my Z06 I had a roll of paper towels sitting loose in the rear of the hatch and when I looked back I found the towels were unrolling and were just about to the point where the leading edge was coming up to the seat. So anything loose back there, outside of a brick, is likely to move around in the wind.
I've hit about 150 mph with the top stowed. No problem.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:50 PM
Midnight_rider
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a swooshing sound behind my left ear when the top is down on the highway - turned out that the convertible top was slightly open.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my car possessed?

Quick Reply: Is my car possessed?